1505 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I just don't see why having Hernandez as a former Patriot makes it hypocritical if Patriot fans think that the Ravens handled the Rice situation like shit, or vice versa.  Having gone through this Rice stuff doesn't mean Ravens fans are hypocrites if we think Roethlisberger is a rapist or the Vikings should have cut Peterson.  I don't think you have to bring up every skeleton in your team's closet to be critical of a current problem another team is having.

#62 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

I just don't see why having Hernandez as a former Patriot makes it hypocritical if Patriot fans think that the Ravens handled the Rice situation like shit, or vice versa.  Having gone through this Rice stuff doesn't mean Ravens fans are hypocrites if we think Roethlisberger is a rapist or the Vikings should have cut Peterson.  I don't think you have to bring up every skeleton in your team's closet to be critical of a current problem another team is having.

I do. Because every team in the league has this stuff going on and it's hypocritical/naive to think your team is above reproach.

Simmons seems to think that the Ravens and Goddell lied about seeing the video. Well, what does he have to say about Spygate? Goodell likely covered that up, but he doesn't seem to hold a grudge over that.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#63 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

It's not being critical.  It's implying that the Pats somehow "deserve" to win the game due to karma because of the Rice situation.  Like you said, every team has issues, but acting all high and mighty when your own team is just as guilty of as bad, if not worse, transgressions is the definition of hypocrisy.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#64 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

I do. Because every team in the league has this stuff going on and it's hypocritical/naive to think your team is above reproach.

Simmons seems to think that the Ravens and Goddell lied about seeing the video. Well, what does he have to say about Spygate? Goodell likely covered that up, but he doesn't seem to hold a grudge over that.

This is an excellent point.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#65 Michael Keltics

Michael Keltics
  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

I think it's more the soap box that many writers have gotten on pointing at the Ravens that makes people want to say this.

The narrative the Ravens are thugs is tired in Baltimore but still well received nationally.

The concept that Baltimore is somehow more thuggish than any other team in the NFL is absurd.  Bounties on offensive players heads, linemen stomping on QB's arms, not to mention all of the activities off the field... no team is above bad behavior and it's a waste of time to think otherwise.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#66 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

The concept that Baltimore is somehow more thuggish than any other team in the NFL is absurd.  

"Thug" is just white-Americanese for "large, black, and scary"... add in "and also very good" and it makes it a damn near automatic descriptor... when the BAL press was running Eddie Murray out of town, the only reason they didn't call him a thug is because baseball's not a contact sport... so they had to settle for "surly"...

• PrimeTime likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#67 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:13 AM

I pointed it out in the game thread, but I found it funny that the first CB blitz we run, they throw the trick play behind the blitz to Edelman. A little coincidental. Belichek is a cheater. He's going to do everything inside and outside of the rules to win. Main reason I have no respect for the guy. And main reason I will never put him in my personal top coaches of all time. I can only hope Hall of Fame voters feel the same as me when it comes down to it. Cheaters of any sort don't deserve to be enshrined, in any sport

#68 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

I can't comment on how much these accusations, if true, have helped NE. Fact is, they have not won a SB in 10 years, their playoff record since that last SB is mediocre (even though they've mostly played at home in the playoffs). And their divisional competition has mostly been terrible, thus earning them an easy ticket to the playoffs most seasons. Hard not to imagine teams like the Ravens or Steelers having similar success if they played in the AFC (L)East.

#69 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:19 AM

At this point, I might have even hoped for Pittsburgh to beat New England in the playoffs, if it came to that. And it tears at my soul to say this, but if Indy beats Denver, I might root for....*gulp*....the Colts to beat those assholes. I'm drunk, so I'll reserve the right to take it back when I sober up.....but really, how could any non-chowdah-head root for that team?

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:12 AM

At this point, I might have even hoped for Pittsburgh to beat New England in the playoffs, if it came to that. And it tears at my soul to say this, but if Indy beats Denver, I might root for....*gulp*....the Colts to beat those assholes. I'm drunk, so I'll reserve the right to take it back when I sober up.....but really, how could any non-chowdah-head root for that team?

Do you really hate the whole team?  Or is it mainly Brady and the coach?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

Baseball doesn't put cheaters in its hall of fame. Im sure no one will bat an eye when Brady goes in first ballot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:21 AM

Whole team. Bunch of collar popping preppy assholes with a scrotum faced coach.
  • JordanKough and PrimeTime like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#73 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Whole team. Bunch of collar popping preppy assholes with a scrotum faced coach.

A good part of the fan base is annoying too. That whole arrogant, entitled, angry Boston/New England sports fan is unbelievably grating.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#74 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Baseball doesn't put cheaters in its hall of fame. Im sure no one will bat an eye when Brady goes in first ballot.

What's amazing about the whole Brady-Belichick deal is that, if Bledsoe doesn't get a lacerated spleen on that sideline hit, Brady never sees the field. A lot of people forget that the Pats had just given Bledsoe a record setting contract.

Tom Brady was an afterthought. He wasn't some diamond in the rough that the rest of the league missed on. He was in the right place, at the right time.

Kudos to him for developing a quick release and being a system that maximized every bit of his talent.

No one ever seems to mention the Pats defense, Corey Dillion's running or Adam Vinatieri banging in clutch kicks when discussing Brady's early success. It's like there's a collective amnesia in the media when it comes to certain players. Yet the media trips over themselves to shout "defense" and "running game" whenever anyone dares to praise Joe Flacco.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#75 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

As I said yesterday, hate Brady all you want. I do. That said, he's truly great. IMO, the only one who beats us yesterday in those conditions, down 14 twice with no running game.

One thing is certain, I know what the storyline is and will be all week and I just can't stand to hear it over and over. This is the week where I avoid all the talking head sports shows. Tv, podcasts, radio.

#76 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

I definitely hate the patriots more than the steelers or colts now.

#77 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

Brady is one thing. I'm sure it wasn't his idea for spygate. That was all Belichek. He finds cheap ways to win all the time.

#78 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

Belichick is an auto HOFer too.

#79 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Belichick is an auto HOFer too.

Exactly what my point was, he shouldn't be. He cheated and got caught red handed.

#80 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

The Patriots didn't cheat....the refs didn't announce the Patriots eligible player.
Roll Tide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=