#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

I can't stand Brady but I give him a ton of credit for putting his team first and wanting to win.

http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=12094227

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,284 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

He's actually getting a small raise. Deadspin has an article with the details.

#23 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

I posted this a while ago, want to bring it back up as we play NE in NE Saturday.

What is everyone's thoughts concerning whether the Pats are still cheating? Will we just be playing the Pats on Sunday or does Ernie Adams have something up his sleeve?

I want to start off by saying I recently read the book Spygate: The Untold Story which was published in 2012 & written by a man who spent 30k in research before self-publishing the book. It’s an extremely interesting view on what happened with Spygate & also claims the Pats are still cheating today, at least at home. It details the role of Ernie Adams, still with the organization (a “confidant” of Belichick since 1970), who is by all accounts, a genius with a photographic memory. The Belichick behind Belichick, if you will. (Read about him here: http://sports.espn.g...tory?page=adams). Some of the things that went on (all originally reported by Chris Mortensen when the story broke) & possibly still going on:

1. Second radio frequency at home, where communication is still happening in Brady’s helmet after the mic is supposed to go dead 15 seconds before the snap.
  2. Cameras hidden in obscure places taping opponents’ defensive signals.
  3. Putting mics on d-linemen to pick up QB audibles.
  4. Jamming radio frequencies of opposing coaches' headsets.

He points out several statistical anomalies & other curious facts:

1. In several seasons, the Patriots never even bothered to hire an offensive or defensive coordinator, sometimes both (in 2010 they went the whole year without either). And when they have hired coordinators, they have generally been cardboard cutouts; guys no one else wanted. Former Kent State head coach Dean Pees became defensive coordinator in 2006, after Eric Mangini left to become head coach with the Jets. Pees had a 17-51 record at Kent State. Bill O'Brien eventually became the Pats' offensive coordinator in 2011 after a few years in other offensive coaching roles. His last stop before New England? Duke, where he was offensive coordinator for a team that went 1-22 in 2005-06. The Patriots haven't always needed offensive or defensive coordinators, because they have Ernie Adams. Adams is the "guy behind the guy." He's Belichick's closest confidant, but no one else really knows what he does (Art Modell publicly once said "I'll pay anyone here $10,000 if they can tell me what Ernie Adams does"). Also, how many coaches has Bill Belichick fired?
  2. Including playoff games, the Patriots are 34-7 (.829) at home since Spygate was uncovered after the 2007 season opener and 77-16 (.828) since 2002, numbers that are such huge statistical outliers in the NFL’s salary-cap era of parity that can’t be attributed just to Belichick’s coaching skills and Brady’s quarterbacking. (These are records as of 2012; they’re even better now.) “The average NFL team since 2002 wins just 4.5 of its home games, yet the Patriots win seven out of eight every year for 11 years — three standard deviations from the rest of the league”, said the author while noting in particular that New England went 8-0 at home in 2009 but just 2-6 on the road. Even fishier is the Patriots posting six unbeaten regular seasons of 8-0 at home from 2001-13 and winning 31 consecutive home games in one stretch with Brady at quarterback.
  3. The Patriots’ also have uncanny success in covering the point spread both home and away. New England is 109-69-6 against the spread from 2001-2012, producing a net of 40 wins is once again nearly three standard statistical deviations from the rest of the league — “an extremely rare case.”
  4. He claims the league and Roger Goodell also were complicit because Goodell intentionally minimized the cheating by refusing to suspend Belichick, destroying the tapes and having former New England aide Matt Walsh — who was part of much of the filming — sign a confidentiality agreement/gag order. He says the league covered up the full extent because it feared the fallout from fan, coach and player lawsuits as well as the potentially enormous damage that three officially tainted Super Bowls could do to the league’s bottom line. “The NFL isn’t a $9 billion-a-year entity and teams aren’t worth more than a billion dollars each if people know its games were fraudulent. Why else would the owners all go along in making this go away?”
  5. After Josh McDaniels was caught & fined for illegally taping a 49ers walk through while he was the HC in Denver, Jay Glazer reported McDaniels told his coaching staff in a meeting that what the Broncos did wasn't as bad as what the Patriots did for years. Glazer on McDaniels' description of what happened in New England: "That was practiced. That was coached. That was worked on."
  6. Doug Flutie revealed in an interview that he once picked up the wrong helmet to put to his ear when he was on the sideline as a backup to Tom Brady, and was shocked to learn that the person talking didn’t cut out but continued during the play.

After reading all of this I am convinced this is a story even bigger than what we know, which Goodell swept under the rug. I know Miller has commented in the past that Dean Pees has let it be known to Harbaugh & the Ravens that the practice of stealing signs hasn’t ended. I also find it funny that the Ravens defensive coaches wear color coded hats – only when they play the Patriots – which perhaps could make signs harder to decode. I am curious if Miller or anyone knows what is still going on there. I am also curious as to why no one wants to rat them out – even Mangini regretted doing it.

#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

I think Belichik is a complete slime ball.  So this wouldn't shock me at all.  That said, if he got caught again, he'd have to be banned for at least 5 years right?

• jasterps likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

I think Belichik is a complete slime ball.  So this wouldn't shock me at all.  That said, if he got caught again, he'd have to be banned for at least 5 years right?

Life. The evidence the first time around was circumstantial enough that most of the punishment was understandable (though the fact that Payton received a year for the bounties and Belichick nothing for the spying is an embarrassment), but if they get caught again there's no way he can coach another NFL game.

@DJ_McCann

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

I wonder how well the NFL can monitor the stuff going on that the OP suggests....are they tapped into the local radio frequencies?  Does some guy sit in the stands with a CB radio making sure there aren't other frequencies out there?

@bopper33

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

I think that's pretty weak supporting evidence.  Kind of like saying Nelson Cruz is still juicing because he had a good year in 2014 and never was caught via testing, just got caught buying supplies.

It wouldn't shock me if they are trying to take any advantages they can, but I doubt they'd be doing the exact same thing and just hoping not to get caught again.  Main reason is because of the things Pedro and DJ point out, if they get caught again, Belichick likely has to be banned for life.

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,663 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin.

• Markus likes this

@fuzydunlop

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

The numbers are outliers, but you have outliers in almost every set of data. I'm sure Peyton Manning's home record is probably similar, maybe...?

But the other evidence, like McDaniels comments, Flutie with the helmet, that is all very shady indeed. 

Maybe Pees is the key to the Ravens success. He's blackmailing the Pats. Play it straight up or I'll rat you out. 

• jasterps likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

Flutie with the helmet

Flutie played with the Patriots in 2005.  How would anything he has to say indicate that they are still cheating in the same manner.  We know they were cheating before, that's not news.

• Mike in STL likes this

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

I want to beat these pricks so bad.  Bill Simmons might be the biggest hypocrite on the planet.

@bopper33

#32 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

I want to beat these pricks so bad.  Bill Simmons might be the biggest hypocrite on the planet.

In the recent Cousin Sal podcast Simmons had some quote that was "Suggs hates the Patriots for some strange reason." Yeah, its completely unfathomable that someone could have anything against the Holy Patriots.

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

I just hate the whole "karma" brigade that Simmons has gone on this year against the Ravens.  I get that he dislikes Goodell and thinks he's a liar -- I do too --  and what Ray Rice did was abhorrent, but he acts like the Patriots have clean hands.  Between SpyGate and Aaron Hernandez, there is plenty of bad karma to go around.  

• Icterus galbula likes this

@bopper33

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

True or not, this just makes me want to beat these bastards even more.

I read recently that Belichick's record as a HC before Tom Brady took a snap was 41-56.

So it's not like he's some friggin' genius who fell out of the sky. He had a pretty crappy track record before he lucked into one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL. Belichick's legacy as a HC begins and ends with Brady. If anything, the 11-5 season the Pats had with Brady out is probably the best accomplishment.

I have no doubts they were cheating. I think there was probably some level of cover up. I still don't believe the NFL didn't see the Rice tape before handing out the 2 game suspension. 

I also believe every team in the NFL does things at times to gain an edge.

That said, whatever they may be doing hasn't had much of an effect on us -- we're 2-1 in the postseason there and should be 3-0.

Hopefully we make it 3-1 Saturday.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#35 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

Maybe Pees is the key to the Ravens success. He's blackmailing the Pats. Play it straight up or I'll rat you out. 

Tend to think this is very possible.

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

Earlier this week I was a "house money" guy -- now I'm legitimately nervous because I want this game.  Bad.

@bopper33

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

I like Simmons and I love Grantland but when they get up on their ivory tower of Boston fandom I can't stand it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Earlier this week I was a "house money" guy -- now I'm legitimately nervous because I want this game.  Bad.

Unless we lose last second, like 2011, this loss won't kill me.

It always sucks to lose to these schmucks but knocking out the Steelers makes this a postseason to remember.

I'm a 50-50 house money guy.

#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

I like Simmons and I love Grantland but when they get up on their ivory tower of Boston fandom I can't stand it.

Simmons and I have a legit love/hate relationship (well at least I do with him lol).  I love his NBA stuff (outside of his Laker hate and Celtics gushing) and his pop culture stuff is generally decent (although Pearl Jam is his favorite band).  Grantland, likewise, is hit or miss, mostly hit and I think Zach Lowe is amazing.

That said, the fact that 3 of his favorite teams double as 3 of my 6-7 most hated teams in any sport (Pats, Sox, Celtics) makes our relationship "complicated."  There are times I read his stuff and I just seethe.  The Ravens crap this year being a prime example.  Hey Bill?  Your former star TE MURDERED TWO PEOPLE!

@bopper33

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

True or not, this just makes me want to beat these bastards even more.

I read recently that Belichick's record as a HC before Tom Brady took a snap was 41-56.

So it's not like he's some friggin' genius who fell out of the sky. He had a pretty crappy track record before he lucked into one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL.

But Brady really wasn't that amazing when the Patriots were actually winning their Super Bowls.  His first 6 years, he had QB ratings between 85 and 93.  That's really good, but basically just a tad better (really, a tad more consistent) than what Flacco's done to this point in his career.  He's blown up since, been above 96 all but one of the past seven years (87 last year).  Averaged 88 his first 6 years, 102 his past 7. 

They've been more successful in the regular season since Brady became dominant, but haven't gotten any rings since that point after getting 3 in the early going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=