13 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Baltimore Orioles ‏@Orioles

The Orioles recall RHP Pomeranz & CA Paulino from AAA Norfolk, option CA Exposito to the Tides & designated INF/OF Hall for assignment.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Very happy to see Pomeranz back up, but hate a 13-man pitching staff.

It's a good thing that Flaherty and Tolleson are pretty versatile, the bench is very thin.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

OK. SO a 13 man staff for the moment. Fine with that considering it's what appears to be a solid later inning arm in Pomeranz. Tolleson and Hall were a little too similar. Wouldn't surprise me if we stay with the 13 man staff until one of Reynolds/Roberts is ready to return.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

OK. SO a 13 man staff for the moment. Fine with that considering it's what appears to be a solid later inning arm in Pomeranz. Tolleson and Hall were a little too similar. Wouldn't surprise me if we stay with the 13 man staff until one of Reynolds/Roberts is ready to return.

I think the deeper bullpen speaks to some concerns they have about the effectiveness of the starters.

Really none of the starters are reliable right now. Arrieta has been all over the place recently. Chen just got rocked for the first time (he's the one I'm least worried about, though). Hammel has struggled since having that start skipped due to the knee. Hunter is a nightmare, IMO. Matusz has been the best recently, but I still don't think many folks really trust him yet, I know I don't, even though I'm optimistic.

If we get through this weekend without (m)any short starts, then I think we may see one of the bullpen arms sent down and a position player called back up.

#5 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

13 man pitching staff, huh? Well, alright...But really glad to see Pomeranz back in the bullpen. I suppose the 13-man staff is due to the recent ineffectiveness of the starters (Arrieta and Hunter especially, and to a lesser extent Hammel recently), and that makes sense.

I think Tolleson has cemented himself as a solid UTI guy, so far. Not much news in seeing Hall go, although I do wonder if Betemit will continue to be put in to flail wildly against southpaws.

#6 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

The way the bullpen has been used, I'm okay with the 13 man staff. Eveland probably is the one who sits the longest and is used as the long man. \The other guys should get plenty of work.

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

The way the bullpen has been used, I'm okay with the 13 man staff. Eveland probably is the one who sits the longest and is used as the long man. \The other guys should get plenty of work.

Yeah, I agree with this. As has been mentioned above, I think we'll see a 13 man pitching staff until someone comes back from the DL or if the club is forced to make another move due to injury.

#8 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, I agree with this. As has been mentioned above, I think we'll see a 13 man pitching staff until someone comes back from the DL or if the club is forced to make another move due to injury.

They'll probably add another hitter when interleague comes around if it comes to that.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
@dandrews66

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

I'm not much of a fan of a 13 man staff either, but what was Hall really doing for us? Plus, part of the reason for an 8 man is pen is simply because there are a lot of good arms to choose from unlike other instances where they went to an 8 man pen because it was lacking.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I think the deeper bullpen speaks to some concerns they have about the effectiveness of the starters.

Really none of the starters are reliable right now. Arrieta has been all over the place recently. Chen just got rocked for the first time (he's the one I'm least worried about, though). Hammel has struggled since having that start skipped due to the knee. Hunter is a nightmare, IMO. Matusz has been the best recently, but I still don't think many folks really trust him yet, I know I don't, even though I'm optimistic.

If we get through this weekend without (m)any short starts, then I think we may see one of the bullpen arms sent down and a position player called back up.

It's absolutley about the ineffectiveness of our Starting Pitching. I'm fine with it because it appears we are not calling up an arm just to call up an arm. In recent years we'd be going down and bringing up a scrub like Hoey or Eyre, or Jim Miller. Pomernaz seems to be a quality arm and there might be a few more down there as well. So I'm fine with adding quality depth at the expense of a position player for right now.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

They'll probably add another hitter when interleague comes around if it comes to that.

That's a lock.Well when we go back to the NL parks it is.

#12 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Reynolds and Chavez to Bowie tomorrow
God hates Caps fans

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,491 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

As Ricker Says mentioned in the other thread, it was reported in the post-game that Pomeranz hurt his oblique.

MLB.com / Ghiroli: http://brittghiroli....-pretty-likely/

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

If he goes on the DL and Buck still wants a 13 man pitching staff, I could see him wanting Berken.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=