Pewter just doesn't even make sense.

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,511 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Maybe it's both. Black field with the outline of the shell pattern in pewter. I think that's sort of what we saw in the concept photo. I could live with that scheme.

#23 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm usually a traditionalist, but I actually think it looks pretty cool. Haven't seen any confirmed rumors that they're doing it yet though, and even by using different materials I'm not sure how that's not going to attract a lot of heat.

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I'm usually a traditionalist, but I actually think it looks pretty cool. Haven't seen any confirmed rumors that they're doing it yet though, and even by using different materials I'm not sure how that's not going to attract a lot of heat.

Maybe that is why this leaked: to see if it would, um, attract a lot of heat.

#25 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

If they go with the black field, I wonder if they aren't also going to make their practice fields also be black. You would think that would give a decided advantage in the early part of the season against teams that aren't used to the extreme heat from the field.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
Perception is reality.

#26 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

If they go with the black field, I wonder if they aren't also going to make their practice fields also be black. You would think that would give a decided advantage in the early part of the season against teams that aren't used to the extreme heat from the field.

That's a good point... I have a feeling that the University will decide against a black field, because of the potential dangers of heat exhaustion, or worse. Imagine the lawsuit a parent might bring against UMD if a player died.

If a study would show the difference in heat to be minimal, perhaps they'd still consider it, but otherwise, likely not. It's likely a warmer surface, but it does look cool. :D

#27 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Kevin Plank seems to like the new changes to it. Not sure if that is because has consulted on the renovations to the field, or if he is honestly happy with it.

A switch to artifical grass might make the field better during rainy games.

http://www.baltimore...0,7967659.story
@mrbeanage

#28 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

From that article, Plank said that we would be seeing a lot of red and white this year.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,511 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

From that article, Plank said that we would be seeing a lot of red and white this year.

Hmmmm....seems that scheme has already been done.

Posted Image

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Oh god. Not a white field.

#31 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Oh god. Not a white field.

That would be an eyesore. I'd rather see the black turtle shell field than a white one.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,511 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

I would think an all white field would emit a horrible glare on a sunny day....to the point where they'd have to provide sunglasses for all the fans. No way UM does that.

#33 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I would think an all white field would emit a horrible glare on a sunny day....to the point where they'd have to provide sunglasses for all the fans. No way UM does that.

Agreed... if they color the field, it seems red would be the logical choice, akin to the images we see from Eastern Washington.

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Last season there was a horrible stench coming from the field, so it would just affect a different sense...

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,511 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Last season there was a horrible stench coming from the field, so it would just affect a different sense...

And if the offense is what I expect it to be this season, something that causes fans to occasionally avert their eyes from the field might be a good thing.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#36 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Testudo ‏@TerrapinNation

Hearing the official announcement for the new turf at Byrd Stadium will come sometime today. Finally decided on green w/ a pattern.

#37 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Testudo ‏@TerrapinNation

Well, that was a fun ride.

At the end of the day, this upgrades the field. Hopefully it also does something about the pitch of it, as it was an unusually steep field going from each sideline to the center of the field. I feel like I once read it was far and away the steepest in the conference.

Plus, there were drainage issues galore there.....
Perception is reality.

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,511 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

http://www.umterps.c.../062012aaa.html

Well, seems like that was much ado about nothing with regard to the color/design. But if it at least improves the drainage and gets rid of the ridiculously-high crown the grass field had, then it's definitely an improvement.

It's too bad they didn't also take this opportunity to lower the field-level a few feet, so they could sell the front rows of the stadium as premium seats instead of obstructed-view.

Posted Image
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#39 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

While many positives will come from the upgrade, I'm disappointed after the hype of a colored field. It was colored... normal green. Ah well, go Terps!

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

While many positives will come from the upgrade, I'm disappointed after the hype of a colored field. It was colored... normal green. Ah well, go Terps!

I still think a cool, more conservative idea could have been turtle shell designs on a green field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=