58 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

WNST: http://wnst.net/word...football-field/

WNST provides the picture which has been posted in several locations, of what the new MD field could look like.

I've read that even if the field is all black, that it will not trap in as much heat as expected. Something to do with the cork being used.

Edit on June 26th... New Thread Title: New Terps Field Confirmed

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Don't really like that.

I love the flashy uniforms, but the field seems to be taking things too far. I like the turtle shells design, but would do that with a traditional green grass color.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hell no.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'll be the one, I like it. Of course I'm the only person I know that likes Boise's field.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Don't really like that.

I love the flashy uniforms, but the field seems to be taking things too far. I like the turtle shells design, but would do that with a traditional green grass color.

I would be totally fine with this. I actually would like this design.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

I'll be the one, I like it. Of course I'm the only person I know that likes Boise's field.

I like the Boise field because it's unique, this just feels too forced and I actually like the unis,
@levineps

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm ok with it. But they better start winning, and do so now, or this just looks like a pathetic cry for attention. Put a 2-win team on that field and everyone thinks you're lame. Have a 10-win team playing on a turtle shell and you're cool. That's just how perceptions work.

#8 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Genius.

I'm actually a pretty big KA fan...He screwed the pooch with Edsall, but everything else that's happening under his watch is good.

Just an absolutely brilliant idea to be Oregon of the East...

Kind of funny that such flamboyant changes are occurring under such a bland coach, but the program is headed in the right direction...
@PeterDiLutis

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

An all-black field.... different... and I LIKE IT. MD needs to keep with the thinking outside-the-box vision. Naturally we don't know if this is accurate or not, but time will tell.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'm ok with it. But they better start winning, and do so now, or this just looks like a pathetic cry for attention. Put a 2-win team on that field and everyone thinks you're lame. Have a 10-win team playing on a turtle shell and you're cool. That's just how perceptions work.

Right, that's where I am with it. It's creative, and it's outside the box - I like the concept. But if we suck on that field what difference does it make? If anything it draws more attention to a crappy team.

#11 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Right, that's where I am with it. It's creative, and it's outside the box - I like the concept. But if we suck on that field what difference does it make? If anything it draws more attention to a crappy team.

But being cool makes it a lot easier to eventually win.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Chicken/Egg.

It's easier to look cool when you win.

#13 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Chicken/Egg.

It's easier to look cool when you win.

You can't win unless you get good players! We're trying to appeal to 16, 17, 18 year olds. They're attracted to this type of stuff/attention.

If you ask any 15 year old football player in the country what school has the crazy uniforms, they will tell you Oregon. That is a great label to have. Does having cool unis make them go 10-2 ever year? No, but being the trendy place to play out west certainly helps in getting the 4 and 5 star players that helps Oregon stay consistently very, very good year in and year out.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Uniforms get you noticed. But Oregon closes the deal with big time recruits because they have facilities that rival any Club Med (thanks for the check, Uncle Phil) and because they win....which they've done regularly since Rich Brooks was coach....before the wild uniforms.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Genius.

I'm actually a pretty big KA fan...He screwed the pooch with Edsall, but everything else that's happening under his watch is good.

Kind of funny that such flamboyant changes are occurring under such a bland coach, but the program is headed in the right direction...

I know we've already had a KA debate, so I'm not going to try and not get too redundant. The AD is primarily judged on his or her coaching hires and football/men's basketball are given even more weight since they are usually the only revenue producing sports. So saying he "screwed the pooch" on Edsall is pretty bad.

Anyone who knows me knows I constantly talk about no GM batting 1000. For football and men's basketball, the AD's have to bat pretty close to this considering they are the lifeblood for the entire department. All Olympics coaches will tell you if football is having a bad year, they are having a bad year since less $$$ is coming in subsidize their programs. If MD had been doing recently in these two sports, moreso football would they be in the process of cutting other sports? Probably not.
@levineps

#16 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Genius.

I know we've already had a KA debate, so I'm not going to try and not get too redundant. The AD is primarily judged on his or her coaching hires and football/men's basketball are given even more weight since they are usually the only revenue producing sports. So saying he "screwed the pooch" on Edsall is pretty bad.

Anyone who knows me knows I constantly talk about no GM batting 1000. For football and men's basketball, the AD's have to bat pretty close to this considering they are the lifeblood for the entire department. All Olympics coaches will tell you if football is having a bad year, they are having a bad year since less $$$ is coming in subsidize their programs. If MD had been doing recently in these two sports, moreso football would they be in the process of cutting other sports? Probably not.

Are you talking about a KA debate with me, or on this board in general? Because I can't remember debating it with you, and if so, can't remember your stance on him. So fill me in...LOL.

I agree with what you're saying here though. It's not like we can say KA screwed the pooch on Edsall, but he's doing a good job overall. Because an AD can't really be doing a good job overall after having made a horrific football hire.

That being said, he's 100% better than Yow and nearly everything he's done (bowl game screw up aside) other than Edsall has been something that I've agreed with.

I'm a bigger advocate of the uniforms/branding than most. I think that's huge and I give him credit for being an AD who was willing to go outside the box here and recognize the need for MD to separate themselves from the pack through gimmicks such as unis, turf, etc. So I applaud and appreciate him for that.

It's pretty weird that he's been so aggressive and done the right thing in most situations but just absolutely went with the most boring, bland, conservative hire in Edsall than ever could have been possible. Oh well.

In short, I hear what you're saying and ultimately he'll be judged on that, but he's a good AD in other aspects of the job IMO and now that the Edsall hire is done, hopefully he learns from it and if he keeps his job long enough to hire his successor, perhaps he'll learn from the mistake.
@PeterDiLutis

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Are you talking about a KA debate with me, or on this board in general? Because I can't remember debating it with you, and if so, can't remember your stance on him. So fill me in...LOL.

We've talked about him somewhere, don't remember if it was here or Twitter though.
@levineps

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

http://wusa9.com/spo... ... or-Change-

A source within the program told me that the turf being applied to the field will be either black or pewter.

Article was later updated saying:

The athletic department's media relations has contacted me, let me know at this time no final decision has been made on the color of the field. I asked if they were considering on changing the color at all and was told the following:

"Don't know the final details on color yet... No final decision has been made...
Yes, the surface will be synthetic, rather than grass... Will be finished in time for the home opener on 9/1."

It seems as though a color change is being considered and we will know what the final decision is in the upcoming months.

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Pewter? Jesus.

#20 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP