#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Jon Heyman tweeted the Orioles interest in Oswalt should not be seen as shocking. Guessing will have to significantly outbid the Rangers, among other teams to sign him. How much would you pay him for about half-season's of work?
@levineps

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm not super excited about Oswalt, but it'd be better than trading for a mediocre starter. Despite his solid ERA last year, he had a career high in H/9 and career low in K/9.

I could see rolling the dice on him, but I don't think he's going to be some savior for the rotation. I'd definitely rather have him than Tommy Hunter, though, and he'd be good insurance in case Hammel gets hurt again, Chen slows down, or some combination of Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta need be replaced. Perhaps the prorated portion of a $10M contract? So like $6M or so depending on when he signs.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

If you are pursuing Oswalt for the year, you are obviously making that move to win now.

If you are trying to win now, signing Oswalt, is more attractive than trading internal pieces for other external pitching.

Oswalt turned down 1 yr $10M in January from Detroit. Now though you are talking about 1/2 a season. Can't see him getting more than that. Of course, you would have to outbid Texas to get him, with Texas being more attractive due to the State Taxes, and proximity to Mississippi.

Last year he was 9-10, with a 3.23 era. In his 139 ip, he allowed 153 hits, 10 homers, 33 bb's, with 93 k's. Hitters had a .736 OPS against, and his G/F ratio was 0.90.

Pitch F/X 2011: http://pitchfx.texas...11&to=10/1/2011

Certainly would feel better about the rotation depth if he was added, and I would prefer spending money on him, vs. trading resources for a similar caliber starter. Not convinced he would be a major upgrade over anyone he would replace.

#4 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Oswalt would be an interesting pick up and I know he'd prefer the Rangers over any other team - but he's come around to playing for whatever winning team wants him at this point I think. Money will be a factor though, especially if it's us versus someone else (Rangers).

The one thing working in our favor though is that the Rangers would only pick up Oswalt if a SP went down with a serious injury or they traded Colby Lewis.

We don't have such an issue because he'd basically be replacing Tommy Hunter IF Britton isn't ready soon enough and even if he is - Arrieta has been off and on crap so far this season. So there's that..

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Oswalt would be an interesting pick up and I know he'd prefer the Rangers over any other team - but he's come around to playing for whatever winning team wants him at this point I think. Money will be a factor though, especially if it's us versus someone else (Rangers).

The one thing working in our favor though is that the Rangers would only pick up Oswalt if a SP went down with a serious injury or they traded Colby Lewis.

We don't have such an issue because he'd basically be replacing Tommy Hunter IF Britton isn't ready soon enough and even if he is - Arrieta has been off and on crap so far this season. So there's that..

With Feliz now possibly out until the All-Star break, Ron Washington has made it clear he would like the Rangers to add Oswalt.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Not all that interested in Oswalt.

I am not concerned about the starting pitching right now.

DD wants to make a move for pitching but I think move is(hopefully) getting Britton healthy and moving Hunter to the pen. That changes the dynamic of the entire pitching staff IMO.

I am much more concerned about making some moves to help the CI and LF.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

If you are pursuing Oswalt for the year, you are obviously making that move to win now.

If you are trying to win now, signing Oswalt, is more attractive than trading internal pieces for other external pitching.

Oswalt turned down 1 yr $10M in January from Detroit. Now though you are talking about 1/2 a season. Can't see him getting more than that. Of course, you would have to outbid Texas to get him, with Texas being more attractive due to the State Taxes, and proximity to Mississippi.

Last year he was 9-10, with a 3.23 era. In his 139 ip, he allowed 153 hits, 10 homers, 33 bb's, with 93 k's. Hitters had a .736 OPS against, and his G/F ratio was 0.90.

Pitch F/X 2011: http://pitchfx.texas...11&to=10/1/2011

Certainly would feel better about the rotation depth if he was added, and I would prefer spending money on him, vs. trading resources for a similar caliber starter. Not convinced he would be a major upgrade over anyone he would replace.

I think how they pursue him will gives us a good sense of how competitive the FO thinks this team can be in July and August. As Chris said, you don't spend that kind of money in the middle of the year if you don't aren't planning to win NOW.
@levineps

#8 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

With Feliz now possibly out until the All-Star break, Ron Washington has made it clear he would like the Rangers to add Oswalt.

That's true - forgot that Feliz was out for that long.

Someone should go talk to the Phillies about Joe Blanton. They've been trying to trade him for two years in a row now, this would make the third if they do. He wouldnt' cost much to trade for IMO.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Is Blanton any different than Hunter?

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Is Blanton any different than Hunter?

Yes, Blanton is better. But not $7M better. And he's not significantly better than any of our acceptable starters (unless one starts to really struggle).

I don't consider Hunter an acceptable starter. The sooner Britton replaces him (once he's healthy and effective) the better. I'm not even that optimistic about Hunter in the bullpen. I think Patton may be a better long man option than him.

#11 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yes, Blanton is better. But not $7M better. And he's not significantly better than any of our acceptable starters (unless one starts to really struggle).

I don't consider Hunter an acceptable starter. The sooner Britton replaces him (once he's healthy and effective) the better. I'm not even that optimistic about Hunter in the bullpen. I think Patton may be a better long man option than him.

Agree on the Blanton thing, but if you're still in the race for a division title or a wild card right around the trade deadline then the $7M won't matter so much - not saying it won't matter at all, but won't matter so much. Plus taking on all that's left on his contract would mean we wouldn't (theoretically) have to give up that much for him.

The guy I've been most excited to see get called up is Steve Johnson - having a solid season at AAA - too bad he got hurt.

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ken Rosenthal tweeted:

Source: #Orioles indeed on Oswalt, as first reported by @JonHeymanCBS. Lost waiver claim on LHP Gaub to #Rangers, who had worse record!

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'd much rather add him than make a trade for a pitcher.

Only risking money and putting him in the rotation would help the pen as well due to he and Britton replacing two starters.

That may mean Arrieta to the pen, who I think would be great in that role. Now I do want to see him become a successful starter, but I don't think this move would prohibit that from happening in the future.

Signing Oswalt would also make it more palatable to deal pitching for a a position player that could help out.

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Only risking money and putting him in the rotation would help the pen as well due to he and Britton replacing two starters.

That may mean Arrieta to the pen, who I think would be great in that role. Now I do want to see him become a successful starter, but I don't think this move would prohibit that from happening in the future.

Signing Oswalt would also make it more palatable to deal pitching for a a position player that could help out.

This wins.

If Oswalt could be a successful SP, and Jake could be a lights out closer, you could trade JJ, or have THAT good of a 1-2 punch at the end of the pen. That makes it a 7 inning game.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Just in acompletely theoretical sense -- not in a practical sense as in "THE ORIOLES SHOULD DO THIS TOMORROW!!!" -- Roy Oswalt is the kind of addition that would make sense for this team. All they would be giving up is money. They're a bit thin on the prospect side, and I don't know if it makes sense to give up what little depth they have -- Schoop, Bridwell, Delmonico, Rodriguez, Wright, to name a few -- for a rental SP. Again, in purely a theoretical sense, if they were to compete, they'd probably need two new starters...Britton and Oswalt could be those guys.

Now, if you don't think Oswalt wouldn't have much left to offer to a team...probably best to stay away.
@BSLLukeJackson

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

This wins.

If Oswalt could be a successful SP, and Jake could be a lights out closer, you could trade JJ, or have THAT good of a 1-2 punch at the end of the pen. That makes it a 7 inning game.

The pen would really be tremendous if they didn't deal one of the top guys. If everyone is healthy in the rotation and the pen, there'd be these guys available for the pen:

JJ
Strop
Arrieta
O'Day
Lindstrom
Ayala
Hunter
Patton
Gregg
Pomeranz

The only issue is the lack of lefties other than Patton, which isn't that big of a deal imo.I suppose Matusz could be put in the pen instead of Arrieta to fix that, but I wouldn't favor that.

But of course looking at that list being 10 deep not even counting some mediocre options like Eveland, Tillman, etc, it would make sense to trade from that strength assuming health.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'm a tremendous Arrieta fan overall, but I totally agree with mweb's take here. You could improve the rotation and the bullpen, and moving Arrieta to the pen now; would not totally preclude moving him back to the rotation later.

If you are going to spend the money suggested to get Jones done long-term, you might as well spend the money necessary to obtain Oswalt, and give yourself the best opportunity possible of winning now.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

You move Hunter to pen first.

Also, if you signed Oswalt, he would need a while to get ready to pitch at the ml level.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

You move Hunter to pen first.

Also, if you signed Oswalt, he would need a while to get ready to pitch at the ml level.

Right, but idea would be Britton for Hunter, and Oswalt for Arrieta (when ready).

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Ehh, maybe. But you don't do that if Arrieta is pitching well.

I don't think Oswalt would sign here personally.

There were some warning signs last year for Oswalt and that could be a problem in the AL East.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=