#41 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

Just a few words where it comes out for me. "Ool" (oil) and "Shaar" (shower) are the two main ones. Of course, every time I hear my voice played back I definitely hear it in the way I pronounce certain syllables overall.

@BSLZackKiesel

#42 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

I can't say oil or wool right.

#43 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

So hold on. 

Because people brought up Nestor.

If there's one famous person (not counting Nestor, I guess) that you'd point to for having the accent, who would it be?

Ref: recordings of William Donald Schaefer.... strong accent without sounding like he dropped out young and went to work at Sparrows Point...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#44 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

It took lots of practice for me to get "warsh" out of my vernacular.

@Miller192

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

11 years in Oregon and still, people who talk to me for the first time can hear it. They don't know exactly where I'm from, but they know it's east coast. I still catch myself saying "tarlit" (toilet) sometimes. I have no idea how I picked that one up. Some members of my family had accents, but I can't remember anyone who said tarlit.

A couple weeks ago I was at the grocery store and ran into a guy wearing an M.R. Ducks sweatshirt. I hadn't seen one of those in forever.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

It took lots of practice for me to get "warsh" out of my vernacular.

A year or so after I moved here I was sitting in a deposition and the questioning attorney kept saying warsh. During a break I asked him if he was from Bawlmer. He looked at me like I had three heads and said no, born and lived his whole life in Seattle. I said I figured he was because he said warsh. Then he tells me his grandfather, who essentially raised him, was originally from Baltimore. He never realized until then why he pronounced it that way (or so he said).

• BSLChrisStoner, DJ MC and Miller192 like this

#47 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

I've got a few like warsh and wooder that pop up, but not much of a trace. One of the women I work with has a legit, noticeable Baltimore accent though, and it's great. Her personality just makes it that much better. My grandfathers both had it to an extent, and my mother-in-law has the Glen Burnie variation.

#48 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

I only have trouble saying ambulance. Aside from that, no trace.

Amba-lance?  I still can't say cauliflower right after all these years.

Stoner I'd say your balmer accent is medium.  Cerrano's is low, which is disappointing.  

When I catch myself saying something with the accent, I always say that 'my baltimore is showing.'  No one gets it but I do it anyway hon.

@fuzydunlop

#49 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

Amba-lance?  I still can't say cauliflower right after all these years.

Stoner I'd say your balmer accent is medium.  Cerrano's is low, which is disappointing.  

When I catch myself saying something with the accent, I always say that 'my baltimore is showing.'  No one gets it but I do it anyway hon.

That's it. That's the extent of my Bawlmerese.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=