@bopper33

#243 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

Ok so let's say there is 1 out runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter doesnt run hard out of the box because its routine. The 2nd baseman fumbles the ball a bazillion times but is still able to record the out at 1b because the hitter doesn't run hard out of the box. In the meantime both runners score. That's going to be 2RBI?

#244 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

Ok so let's say there is 1 out runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter doesnt run hard out of the box because its routine. The 2nd baseman fumbles the ball a bazillion times but is still able to record the out at 1b because the hitter doesn't run hard out of the box. In the meantime both runners score. That's going to be 2RBI?

No. 1 rbi. Second guy scores on a fielding error.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#245 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

It's clearly going to be an official scorer decision though I agree the majority of the time he's going to award an RBI.

Wrong... read rule 10.04... it's not up the OS...

So, let's take my hypothetical above to the extreme. 2 outs. Bases loaded and routine ball is hit on the ground to the 2b and he fields it clean and just stands still ball in glove while the bases clear. The batter is getting how many RBI. 4??

That's an E4.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#246 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

He recorded an out how was it an error.

#247 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

For the sake of clarity here, let me just say that this question was posed by a guy trying to keep stats for his beer league softball team.  That is how the runner scored from 2nd on a ground out. :)

• RShack likes this

#248 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

I'm guessing that there was no RBI on the Pearce play because the runner had stopped, and the official scorer decided it was a fielder's choice for Pearce to lob the ball back to the infield and let the guy score.  If the runner had kept going, then I bet there would have been an RBI.

#249 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

The runner on second was allowed to score because of the error. It doesn't matter if the batter was recorded out.

It would read something like, batter grounded out to second. On second baseman fielding error, runner on second scored.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#250 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

What if the second baseman is trying to turn a DP, and after stepping on the base to record the first out, he throws the ball into the dugout and the hitter advances to 2B?  There was an out recorded but there's also an error on the second baseman for allowing the runner to advance.

#251 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

What if the second baseman is trying to turn a DP, and after stepping on the base to record the first out, he throws the ball into the dugout and the hitter advances to 2B? There was an out recorded but there's also an error on the second baseman for allowing the runner to advance.

Yes but in this case the "error" occurred after he recorded the out at 2b and not before

#252 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm guessing that there was no RBI on the Pearce play because the runner had stopped, and the official scorer decided it was a fielder's choice for Pearce to lob the ball back to the infield and let the guy score.  If the runner had kept going, then I bet there would have been an RBI.

That's what 10.04 says... it's the only scenario in which the question of an RBI or not is left to the OS...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#253 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

Btw again Shackleford. Explain to me the scoring on the play the other night. No error was given. No SB was awarded to Betts. No RBI was given to Ramirez. Baseball Reference simply has the play listed as runner advances on throw. No RBI awarded.

#254 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

For the sake of clarity here, let me just say that this question was posed by a guy trying to keep stats for his beer league softball team. That is how the runner scored from 2nd on a ground out. :)

Tell him it's his decision as the scorer.

#255 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

And I see Mr Shackleford has edited his posts above. Before something had to be recorded officially.Now he says there is a scenario where it's an OS decision. There are scenarios where the official scorer has discretion. Mr Shackleford can you list the part in the rule you quoted where it says that the Pearce type of play last night is the only place it's the OS decision.

#256 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

Not really a trivia question but I thought this was the best place to ask.

Scoring question - there are runners at 1st and 2nd.  Batter hits a ground ball.  Runner from 1st forced out at 2nd.  Runner at 2nd goes to 3rd and keeps running, safe on the play at home.  Does the batter get credited with an RBI?

I should clarify that I'm not asking this as a test.  I'm asking because I want to actually know the answer :)

I think it would depend on the circumstances of how the runner scores.  Should he have been meat and the fielders just weren't paying attention?  If so then no RBI.  If he was running with the pitch and scored because the team was trying to turn two, then it is an RBI. 

We've seen runners score from 2nd on infield singles, and I think the batter typically gets an RBI.  Something like the original Manny play, but if he had thrown it to first rather than pump-faking, runner rounds and comes home and scores just in front of the throw home from 1st.

#257 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

Btw again Shackleford. Explain to me the scoring on the play the other night. No error was given. No SB was awarded to Betts. No RBI was given to Ramirez. Baseball Reference simply has the play listed as runner advances on throw. No RBI awarded.

That run was credited to the throw going to another base... FC...

Every run has to be credited to something...

#258 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

Yes. He failed to execute a routine play. That's an error

OK so take it back to my original scenario or the one Mackus lays out above. The play is made at 2b and the SS/2B simply freezes or isn't paying attention and the runner scores when there was ample time for a play to be.made at home. The 2b/SS is awarded an error. What about if he doesn't hold the ball the whole time but eventually throws home late. Still an error?? How is this mental error different than the mental error different from the one Pearce had Monday night ( I realize you haven't seen that play....just playing Devils advocate here)

#259 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

That run was credited to the throw going to another base... FC...

Every run has to be credited to something...

It may be a fielders choice but it never went to a base. It went to the cutoff. And you just said above its the official scorers decision whether to award an RBI. That's the main point. A point you tried to argue wasn't possible in MLB

#260 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

And I see Mr Shackleford has edited his posts above. Before something had to be recorded officially.Now he says there is a scenario where it's an OS decision. There are scenarios where the official scorer has discretion. Mr Shackleford can you list the part in the rule you quoted where it says that the Pearce type of play last night is the only place it's the OS decision.

I don't see why people don't just read the rules...

RUNS BATTED IN

10.04 (a) Credit the batter with a run batted in for every run which reaches home base because of the batter's safe hit, sacrifice bunt, sacrifice fly, infield out or fielder's choice; or which is forced over the plate by reason of the batter becoming a runner with the bases full (on a base on balls, or an award of first base for being touched by a pitched ball, or for interference or obstruction).

(1) Credit a run batted in for the run scored by the batter who hits a home run. Credit a run batted in for each runner who is on base when the home run is hit and who scores ahead of the batter who hits the home run.

(2) Credit a run batted in for the run scored when, before two are out, an error is made on a play on which a runner from third base ordinarily would score.

(b) Do not credit a run batted in when the batter grounds into a force double play or a reverse force double play.

© Do not credit a run batted in when a fielder is charged with an error because he muffs a throw at first base which would have completed a force double play.

(d) Scorer's judgment must determine whether a run batted in shall be credited for a run which scores when a fielder holds the ball, or throws to a wrong base. Ordinarily, if the runner keeps going, credit a run batted in; if the runner stops and takes off again when he notices the misplay, credit the run as scored on a fielder's choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=