http://www.bizjourna...s-for-masn.html

#142 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Year-over-year advertising rates for games could grow by a percentage in the mid-teens for 2015.

That would be crazy. MASN projects advertising rates to increase at a compound average annual growth rate of 7.5%. Mid-teens would be incredible.

Mind you, the increase would be miniscule when put into perspective for total MASN revenue. We'd be talking 1 or 2 million dollars more than expected. But every little bit counts, right?

#143 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

Baltimore Business Journal: O's success drives up ad rates for MASN

http://www.bizjourna...s-for-masn.html

So Luna is going to pay more to run ads every half-inning?

@DJ_McCann

#144 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

Of the several great things about mlb.tv, the complete absence of commercials is one of them...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

Camden Chat: MASN court case: Orioles and Nationals suit is a multi-million dollar game of "Did too!" "Did not!"

http://www.camdencha...s-fees-mlb-rsdc

#146 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

So is this going to be resolved before Selig is out of there?

#147 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

No.

The court should rule about whether the case should be vacated in December. Regardless of the result of the court case it will still go to arbitration and that should take more time.

If MASN does win then this may last until 2016.

#148 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

If the awful commercials could be priced out of running on MASN, that'd be greaaaaaat

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#149 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Nope.  He created this whole mess, and then made a point of leaving it for the next guy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#150 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Nope.  He created this whole mess, and then made a point of leaving it for the next guy...

Like everything else during his 20-plus years. Solved the steroid issue, though :rolleyes:

@DJ_McCann

#151 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Like everything else during his 20-plus years. Solved the steroid issue, though :rolleyes:

The world is so much better off with Chris Davis in Florida for instructional reps during the playoffs. It's for the kids!

EDIT: you could argue that the poor children that had to attend instructional league games might get a souvenir out of it, so I guess that part was good for them

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#152 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Well, it seems that PA's lawyers are going directly after the role played by the new commissioner....http://www.sportsbus...SN-Dispute.aspx  ... which means they're calling him a liar... in court.... and are seeking documents that supposedly prove it... which, of course, MLB doesn't want to give them...

• Matt_P likes this

#153 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

Well, it seems that PA's lawyers are going directly after the role played by the new commissioner....http://www.sportsbus...SN-Dispute.aspx  ... which means they're calling him a liar... in court....

Good stuff.

I'm an analyst (amidst other things) not a lawyer. Consequently, I'm on stronger ground when it comes to the numbers then when it comes to the legal aspects. But I don't think the Orioles are calling Manfred a liar... yet. They're asking for documentation that will prove whether he's a liar or more likely understating his position. They want to know whether the panel was independent or a bunch of figureheads that were going to return the results that Manfred requested.

The worst case scenario is that the court rejects the discovery claim and MASN buys a few more months. That's not bad so this is worth it for them. The best case scenario is that the court accepts the discovery claim and MLB sends them documents. That probably buys them even more time. I would be stunned if MASN finds a smoking gun (but I'm not a lawyer and could be totally wrong).

#154 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

Well, they are quite explicit in claiming that his role was strikingly in conflict with how he explicitly portrayed his role to the court... if that's not calling him a liar, then I don't wanna go to law school   ;-)

#155 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

http://www.washingto...er-rob-manfred/

I don't think Kilgore has gotten the basic facts right on a single article about MASN. None of the mistakes really matter but you'd think the Washington Post can get stuff right.

#156 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

On the one hand they're calling the new commissioner either a liar or something similar... but on the other hand, they're not (yet) going after all the $ info that MLB wants to keep as its own little secret...  I wonder if that's coming eventually if they can't hang the RSDC some other way... 

#157 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

Well, they are quite explicit in claiming that his role was strikingly in conflict with how he explicitly portrayed his role to the court... if that's not calling him a liar, then I don't wanna go to law school   :wink:

MASN believes that documentation exists that will prove that Manfred's role was greater than portrayed. They believe it will prove that he's lying. They're not claiming he lied yet. MASN believes that they don't have enough evidence to prove that he's lying which is why they want the court to force MLB to send them documents discussing Manfred's role. If MASN did feel they have enough evidence to prove he's a liar then they wouldn't bother with asking for more documentation. These are quotes from what MASN requested.

"MASN also has a demonstrated need for the requested discovery, which has been narrowly tailored to address and refute MLB’s evidence, and to establish MASN’s claims of evident partiality, arbitrator misconduct and undue influence."

"MLB is attempting to conceal the full extent of its influence on the Arbitration. But one thing is clear: on the spectrum between “dictating the result” and “no involvement,” there is ample room for the Court to find that Mr. Manfred and the MLB had undue influence over the supposedly independent Arbitrators and the Award."

"Discovery is thus needed to develop a more complete record on which this Court can rule. MASN’s discovery requests seek (1) documents sufficient to show who attended RSDC meetings and deliberations, including perhaps Mr. Manfred or members of his staff; (2) documents evincing whether Mr. Manfred provided the Arbitrators with MASN’s and BOLP’s filings and submissions in the Arbitration; and (3) communications between MLB and the Arbitrators concerning MLB’s or Mr. Manfred’s role in the preparation of the Award and Mr. Manfred’s instructions to the Arbitrators concerning the exercise of their mandate."

MASN wants more information that they believe will help them.

#158 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

On the one hand they're calling the new commissioner either a liar or something similar... but on the other hand, they're not (yet) going after all the $ info that MLB wants to keep as its own little secret...  I wonder if that's coming eventually if they can't hang the RSDC some other way... 

I doubt it. What $ info do you think they're going to make public?

#159 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

Oh, I don't know that they will... or that PA really wants to force them to... but that's gotta be one thing MLB is terrified of...

Now, if the O's don't get a ruling on other matters that PA can live with, and if his position is that MLB is screwing the O's, then I would think it not a big stretch for his lawyers to argue that they need to see the TV-money-related books of all MLB teams to provide the court with support for their argument about TV money.  Not sure how MLB could convincingly say that information is irrelevant..

#160 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

Oh, I don't know that they will... or that PA really wants to force them to... but that's gotta be one thing MLB is terrified of...

Now, if the O's don't get a ruling on other matters that PA can live with, and if his position is that MLB is screwing the O's, then I would think it not a big stretch for his lawyers to argue that they need to see the TV-money-related books of all MLB teams to provide the court with support for their argument about TV money.  Not sure how MLB could convincingly say that information is irrelevant..

It would be a huge stretch. Bortz has argued ad nauseum that there are no comparables to MASN and therefore the TV-money related books of all MLB teams are irrelevant. I don't see how MASN could change its tack now nor why. MLB and that Nationals have been the party that has brought comparables into the discussion.

If anything, the Os would want to see data for the Rangers, Astros, Angels, Rays and Marlins. But so much of it is in the public domain that I don't know why MLB would care. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=