#621 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 April 2023 - 07:38 PM

I think there exists a world where MASN can continue to receive rights fees from cable companies, but those cable companies are going to start bundling internet with IPTV service rather than bundling channels with cable TV service.  Regional programming like MASN requires some model like this, and I think the biggest change here is the medium that the content is delivered.  It shouldn't make much difference to the cable company that the content is delivered over IP rather than over RF signals.  There might be some backend work required by MASN to support this, but I mean, they already have a content delivery system for baseball games on MLB.tv, so it shouldn't be too difficult to overcome.

I think the big question mark (and it's a really big question mark) is how much this will affect rights fees.  No doubt it will have some negative impact.

#622 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 May 2023 - 07:43 AM

Phoenix Suns will begin broadcasting their games for free on over the air channels and streamed online  starting this summer with the WNBA's Mercury.

https://www.espn.com...nba-rsn-problem

#623 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:14 AM

Phoenix Suns will begin broadcasting their games for free on over the air channels and streamed online  starting this summer with the WNBA's Mercury.

https://www.espn.com...nba-rsn-problem

I don't really care about the NBA, but the Suns just became my favorite NBA squad!  :)

Seriously, I think there is something to be said for exposing your product to a broader audience to build interest.  Long term interest.  Getting kids to see it more, because they turn in to viewers, ticket buyers, apparel buyers, and advertising eyes potentially for life.  Sacrifice some short term wind-fall money for a bigger long-term base that is more likely to sustain for many decades.

So glad to see, whatever the motivation might be, a franchise giving this methodology a chance.  I don't think the NFL is doing itself long-term favors as they move some games to single streaming services, and MLB with their Apple TV games or whatever... I haven't watched a single game broadcast in that fashion the last few years.  Yes, they're all making a mint right now, no question.  What's it going to look like in 30 or 40 years though when the next generation maybe grew up without seeing the product as much?

"...Ishbia is deep-pocketed, and after studying the matter for months, he said, and consulting with the NBA, he decided to forgo the larger guaranteed money and enter into a partnership with local over-the-air stations. He said he sees it as a long-term investment. Suns and Mercury games could be available to more than 2.8 million households throughout Arizona. His bet is that more eyeballs, over time, will lead to more revenue..."

The estimate is that the new setup will basically add 2 million MORE potential sets of eyes in Arizona to the viewer pool for every game they play / broadcast this way.  Over triple the 800,000 or so that they were on pace to have access to before.

#624 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:21 AM

This is probably a piece of the post-RSN future...a return to the days when at least some of a team's games were on broadcast TV. I still think RSNs won't completely die off soon. As long as they still make everyone money, even if it's a lot less money, there's no rush to get rid of them. But you have to find a way to reach the widest audience possible, so it'll probably be a combo of RSN, direct-to-consumer (via streaming), and some OTA.

The one interesting thing I read about elsewhere regarding the Suns' news, and it hasn't been mentioned that they intend to do it yet, is that the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast format does allow for putting certain content behind paywalls.

#625 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 05:09 PM

Holy crap, I think they came to an agreement.

#626 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 05:12 PM

Got a link?

All I can find is they just cut a deal with Ice Cube on airing his Big3 league games.

Never mind, found one.

So all they really did was settle on the exact amount owed the Nats from 2012-16, which was all but compelled by the recent NY Supreme Court ruling.

2017-21 is still in dispute. The writer of The Post article suggests with the rulings in the 2012-16 case that maybe the Orioles and MASN will simply settle, but that person clearly is unaware of the Angelos Family's insatiable appetite for litigation.

#627 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 07:39 PM

Apparently MASN also owes $100M to the Orioles.

#628 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 07:51 PM

In related news, the Orioles announce they have made a $100M donation to the Help Poor John Angelos Foundation.

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike B, BaltBird 24 and 5 others like this

#629 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:14 AM

Hopefully MASN is paying attention to this.

Monumental Sports Network's new paid streaming service will carry Caps, Wizards and Mystics games. Subscriptions are available for $19.99/month or $199.99/year, and only for in-market viewers. More info here:

Monumental Sports Network's streaming service to serve cord cutters - The Washington Post

• DuffMan likes this

#630 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:19 AM

Sign me up!

#631 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 10:46 AM

John's too busy trying to line up a replacement for Bruce Springsteen.

"If I get Bruce Hornsby, do you think anyone will notice?"

#632 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 11:28 AM

Hopefully MASN is paying attention to this.

Monumental Sports Network's new paid streaming service will carry Caps, Wizards and Mystics games. Subscriptions are available for $19.99/month or $199.99/year, and only for in-market viewers. More info here:

Monumental Sports Network's streaming service to serve cord cutters - The Washington Post

That seems really pricy. MLB TV is $130/year and you get every game. Not just the home team. Caps and Wizards combine for the amount of baseball games in a season (+2). If you like both of those teams enough. And on nights they both play games, how often can you watch both together? For an extra $70 you get the WNBA? Wow!

Seems pricy. 

• Don Quixote likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#633 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 11:45 AM

That seems really pricy. MLB TV is $130/year and you get every game. Not just the home team. Caps and Wizards combine for the amount of baseball games in a season (+2). If you like both of those teams enough. And on nights they both play games, how often can you watch both together? For an extra $70 you get the WNBA? Wow!

Seems pricy.

It might be that MLB is just good value. Like Sunday Ticket is way more than that isn’t it? Most people probably don’t watch 100+ games.

#634 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 11:45 AM

Seems pricy. 

Get used to it. DTC isn't a silver bullet that will make up for the money RSN model made where every customer paid whether they watched the channel or not. They'll have to find that balance between getting the most money they can while not pricing too many people out.

Leonsis seems like a smart enough guy to have them figure out a way to split-screen the Wizards/Caps when they are playing concurrently.

#635 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 11:47 AM

It might be that MLB is just good value. Like Sunday Ticket is way more than that isn’t it? Most people probably don’t watch 100+ games.

I think MLB has been going after a smaller niche with its out-of-market package, where it's more about keeping fans engaged than making big money off of them.

NFL is a whole different beast. The usual laws of economics almost don't apply to them.

• makoman likes this

#636 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, Sunday Ticket is $450. Probably what Mike Lowe was saying, charge what you can to get people to pay without pricing them out. Conventional rules don't apply to the NFL.

@BSLMikeRandall

#637 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 October 2023 - 01:36 PM

I think MLB has been going after a smaller niche with its out-of-market package, where it's more about keeping fans engaged than making big money off of them.

NFL is a whole different beast. The usual laws of economics almost don't apply to them.

Since all the teams share the NFL's national deal there isn't any of this haggling with local subscribers via RSNs. I'm not sure which system is better, years ago I think the regional model was superior for teams because local carriage fees were so lucrative. With streaming I don't think that's the case anymore.

#638 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 October 2023 - 02:17 PM

Especially not many people that watch that out of market games at that type of frequency if they're in the market of their team.

I think most, if not all of us on here would prioritize spending $130 for just the O's over spending the same for the rest of the league.

#639 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 02:46 PM

Methstreams costs $0.00

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#640 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:51 AM

Not sure if this was posted somewhere else and I missed it, but this was news to me:

And in November, an MLB-appointed committee ruled the Orioles owe the Nationals an average of $60 million in rights fees annually for the period from 2017 to 2021.

Nats remain in limbo with sale as MLB winter meetings arrive - The Washington Post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=