#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

Is Buck buying into him, or is he riding the hot streak?

• FFH likes this
@DJ_McCann

#22 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

Is Buck buying into him, or is he riding the hot streak?

This is what I'm thinking.

#23 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

Ride the hot streak, or the hot season.  Maybe he's a guy that puts it together and has flown under the radar...keep getting him at bats until he proves he can't handle it.  Happy that Duq and Buck can identify guys like this, though.  Last year it was Pearce, this year it could be Paredes.  

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

I wish he could play defense.

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

Ultimately, he is probably your typical dime a dozen bench player who has value and can do things for you when given an opportunity. Plenty of guys like that ...

Well, maybe there are or maybe there aren't... but even if there are plenty, it's only easy to see who they are in hindsight... because most of the guys who might be able to do it turn out to not be able to do it...

This is the same basic thing as happens with the whole misleading line about "Good RP's are a dime a dozen..."   It's something that you can only say about any particular guy in retrospect... most of the ones who *might* be that will blow up in your face...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

Well, maybe there are or maybe there aren't... but even if there are plenty, it's only easy to see who they are in hindsight... because most of the guys who might be able to do it turn out to not be able to do it...

This is the same basic thing as happens with the whole misleading line about "Good RP's are a dime a dozen..."   It's something that you can only say about any particular guy in retrospect... most of the ones who *might* be that will blow up in your face...

No, you can easily say that.

Dime a dozen guys are always there. It's not hard to find or identify them. The problem is, most teams spend too much time concentrating on what you don't do vs what you do.

What isn't dime a dozen are the elite guys...the AS level guys.

#27 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

If he's a dime a dozen, I'll take 12.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

And when those other eleven don't do anything like this? :P

@DJ_McCann

#29 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

I'd rather have 9 guys named Robinson....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'd rather have 9 guys named Robinson....

http://www.fangraphs...79,9875,1011077

• RShack likes this
@DJ_McCann

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

He must be amazingly bad with a glove if he can't play anywhere...   

Anybody know if he played in the field during ST?  Anybody see him do it?

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

He must be amazingly bad with a glove if he can't play anywhere...   

Anybody know if he played in the field during ST?  Anybody see him do it?

He's pretty bad. Range isn't good, hands aren't either. Coming to the AL was a good move for him.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

Verducci said on the telecast last week that stance wise he looks like Cano. I can see that. Does look very similar stance wise.  Paredes is quick to the ball right now, and just looks confident.

Paredes apparently spent the Winter working with Cano....

Baltimore Sports Report: GIFs: Jimmy Paredes And Robinson Cano Have An Identical Batting Stance

http://baltimorespor...ance-58520.html

MASN / Camden Depot:
http://www.masnsport...my-paredes.html

"Paredes trained with Robinson Cano in the offseason, and apparently Cano gave him some pretty simple advice: "He told me to see the ball and look for a good pitch you can drive. He said, 'Don't swing at bad pitches. Don't swing at the pitcher's best pitch.'

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

\

Baltimore Sports Report: GIFs: Jimmy Paredes And Robinson Cano Have An Identical Batting Stance

http://baltimorespor...ance-58520.html

How unusual is it for 2 guys to be similar in that regard?   I have no idea... but I would guess it's not especially rare...  

Anybody know?

#35 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

Found this on Reddit:

Today could be Jimmy Paredes Qualification Day.

Right now, Hit Paredes has 113 PA, 1.7 short of having 3.1 pa/team games. If the Birds have a decent game, he could get 5 PA, which would put him over the top. If that happens and his current stats hold, here's how he would rank:

• BA --5th in MLB, 3rd in AL.
  • SLG -- 4th in MLB, 2nd in AL
  • OPS and OPS+ -- 8th in MLB, 4th in AL.

I know, there's some "if's" up there, I've definitely cherry picked the stats where he looks best, and the most likely outcome is that over the rest of the season we'll see a regression to the mean, but I'm still excited for the potential here.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#36 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

I love reading the first few posts in this thread, then when it flips over to this year, everything's different. LOL

Seriously. That glove must be abysmal.

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

"Paredes trained with Robinson Cano in the offseason, and apparently Cano gave him some pretty simple advice: "He told me to see the ball and look for a good pitch you can drive. He said, 'Don't swing at bad pitches. Don't swing at the pitcher's best pitch.'

Thats funny. Because Paredes swings at everything. Has he taken a pitch yet this year?

Exaggeration of course. But as often as he swings, how long can he keep the hot hitting up? Eventually the pitchers will target that weakness and exploit it.

My opinion. Hes been good this year. Trade him, because it's unlikely to continue. Detroit probably has a nice farm system to pluck from because they are a smart team. They need a DH with V-Mart battling injuries and pretty much having zero power.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

How unusual is it for 2 guys to be similar in that regard?   I have no idea... but I would guess it's not especially rare...  

Anybody know?

I remember reading an analysis many years ago that showed Manny Ramirez's and Alex Rodriguez's batting stances swings were identical.

EDIT: Er, swings, not batting stances.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#39 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

I love quotes like this. Finally, someone just told him, "hey, stop swinging at shitty pitches! And when you see pitches that aren't shitty, hit them really hard into the outfield but where guys in other uniforms aren't standing," and now he's good at baseball. We should try that strategy with Chris Davis!

• SammyBirdland likes this
@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#40 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

I love quotes like this. Finally, someone just told him, "hey, stop swinging at shitty pitches! And when you see pitches that aren't shitty, hit them really hard into the outfield but where guys in other uniforms aren't standing," and now he's good at baseball. We should try that strategy with Chris Davis!
Dear Orioles, Start scoring more runs than your opponent on a consistent basis. This will lead to more wins.
  • PatrickDougherty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=