#401 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

And btw, just as it's too early to say he is elite, it's also too early to say he will only be very good. He is new to relieving and it would be foolish to think he can't get better.

So, I'm not saying he can't be elite but a good amount of improvement has to happen for him to get to that level. It's not as simple as saying, well all he has to do is lower his walk rate some and everything will be fine...that's easier said than done.

More has to go into all of this. He may get there...the fact that he is already this good at such an early point of relief career is a good sign.

#402 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

No one has Mo's one pitch. But Britton's is damn good. You're the one doing the underrating here. You're fixated on your little peripherals yet again and letting it cloud your judgment.

I'm underrating him yet you agree that he isn't elite? Lol...wtf are you talking about? I guess you are underrating him too?

And yes, how dumb of me for caring about Ks and BBs..god, wtf is wrong with me? Imagine, caring about important things that a pitcher can control...so dumb!

#403 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

No one has Mo's one pitch. But Britton's is damn good. You're the one doing the underrating here. You're fixated on your little peripherals yet again and letting it cloud your judgment.

I'm underrating him yet you agree that he isn't elite? Lol...wtf are you talking about? I guess you are underrating him too?

His one pitch is good enough.

Peripherals can be very misleading and over used for relievers. I know you know that, but you don't care when it's time to make your case.

#404 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

What a Webian argument! "elite" vs "very good".

This game sucked. Ass.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#405 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

What a Webian argument! "elite" vs "very good".

This game sucked. Ass.

I just enjoy arguing with Rob. It's been too long.

#406 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

His one pitch is good enough.Peripherals can be very misleading and over used for relievers. I know you know that, but you don't care when it's time to make your case.

Peripherals are extremely important for relievers...because they are dealing in SSS, lessening the balls put in play and guys put on base is huge. That's pretty freaking obvious.

When you have 1 inning to end a game with a 1-2 run lead, base runners kill you.

I mean, Chris just did an interview...1 of the 3 guys felt that Britton would continue to be lights...the other 2 are echoing what I'm saying here.

Btw, I think I had this same argument with people in regards to JJ. He had nasty stuff and better secondaries than Britton.

Britton looks like he will be better but when you aren't k'ing guys at a high rate, you have a lower margin for error, especially as a GB pitcher...balls find holes, etc...combine that with a good but not great walk rate and you get BS base runners, like last night. But that type of thing happened to JJ all the time.

#407 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Peripherals aren't not important, but you tend to cookie cut with that which is annoying. Your last few posts are reasonable/not cookie cutter though. But your initial posts on this were all, he can't strike enough guys out to be successful.

#408 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Peripherals aren't not important, but you tend to cookie cut with that which is annoying. Your last few posts are reasonable/not cookie cutter though. But your initial posts on this were all, he can't strike enough guys out to be successful.

If that's what you read, then you need reading glasses.

My argument has been he is very good but not elite. If you are very good, aren't you a success?

For you to get out of what I said that he needs to strike more guys out to be successful is moronic. If you are going to totally misrepresent my argument and just make shit up, what's the point of discussing things with you?

And yes, improving on your K and Bb rates is important. Stupid to think otherwise.

#409 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,464 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

One of the people Rob argued the most with about Johnson was me.

I made many of same arguments people are making here regarding Britton.  Ultimately, I was wrong.

I like the profile of relievers with heavy GB%'s, but ultimately even weak contact is contact.... some balls in play will result in runners... thus all things being equal, a higher K% is that much more ideal.

All this back-and-forth surprises me some.  There isn't some large variance of opinion. Mostly there is agreement that Britton is very good, but not quite elite. Yet. With everything about Britton still TBD.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#410 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

And ricker....what you haven't seen me mention is FIP...that is the type of peripheral that may not be as important for relievers...but obviously, Ks and BBs are important.

#411 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

If that's what you read, then you need reading glasses.

My argument has been he is very good but not elite. If you are very good, aren't you a success?

For you to get out of what I said that he needs to strike more guys out to be successful is moronic. If you are going to totally misrepresent my argument and just make shit up, what's the point of discussing things with you?

And yes, improving on your K and Bb rates is important. Stupid to think otherwise.

I meant to say to be elite... not successful.

You need to relax, bruh.

#412 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

All this back-and-forth surprises me some.  There isn't some large variance of opinion. Mostly there is agreement that Britton is very good, but not quite elite. Yet. With everything about Britton still TBD.

I thought you've known Rob for a while. ;)

#413 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

I meant to say to be elite... not successful. You need to relax, bruh.

I'm very relaxed...just shooting holes in your argument, that's all.

#414 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Cowboy+Shooting+Off+Floor.jpg

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#415 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

I meant to say to be elite... not successful. You need to relax, bruh.

You're shooting... but missing. Nice try. Come again.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=