4239 replies to this topic

#3801 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

Of all the afternoon tee times, Justin Rose is 5 under and nobody else is under par. Both sides of that are pretty wild.

Pretty sure he was 50-1. Obviously a long way to go but good odds for a guy with a pedigree.

#3802 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,248 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:52 AM

CBS Sports: 2021 Masters tee times, pairings: Complete field, groups, schedule set for Round 2 at Augusta National

https://www.cbssport...gusta-national/

CBS Sports: 2021 Masters takeaways: Justin Rose shocks field with low score after tough Round 1 at Augusta National

https://www.cbssport...gusta-national/

#3803 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:21 AM

Anyone know what the best rounds in Masters or majors history are relative to the field?  Can't seem to find it with a search. 

Rose being 4 strokes better than anyone else seems pretty damn remarkable.  I'm sure there have been some similar rounds, I can recall some big Day 1 leads, and it must also happen the other days just isn't as obvious to the eye.  Rose's was doubly impressive because the few other golfers that did finish under par all went out in the morning when conditions must've been easier.  If everyone played when Rose did he may have a 6 or 7 shot lead.

#3804 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,581 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:38 AM

Rose with a bad drive to start the round.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3805 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

Doesn't answer my question directly, but the stream just said that Rose's 4-shot lead is the 2nd largest 18-hole lead in Masters history behind some guy from 1941 (didn't say how big that was).  So it was pretty historic.  I'd imagine it's in the best 10 or so rounds ever at the Masters.

#3806 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

Anyone know what the best rounds in Masters or majors history are relative to the field?  Can't seem to find it with a search. 

Rose being 4 strokes better than anyone else seems pretty damn remarkable.  I'm sure there have been some similar rounds, I can recall some big Day 1 leads, and it must also happen the other days just isn't as obvious to the eye.  Rose's was doubly impressive because the few other golfers that did finish under par all went out in the morning when conditions must've been easier.  If everyone played when Rose did he may have a 6 or 7 shot lead.

The CBS article Chris posted mentioned...

"Strokes gained is a sometimes confusing metric, but in this case it's instructive. The number of strokes you gain on the field is a fancy way of saying how much better you were than the field average. Double-digits in a single round happens only a handful of times a year on the PGA Tour in any event, much less at a major championship. Rose finished at just under 10 strokes gained on the day. (Again, he started 2 over thru 7!)"

Considering the factors that it's a major, the greens at Augusta, probably is one of the best rounds relative to the field. 

I know Johnny Miller's final round 63 at Oakmont in 1973 is thought of as the best round ever, considering final round, tough tough tough course, came from six strokes back on Sunday for the win, overtaking some of the all timers in the process (Nicklaus, Player, Palmer, Trevino). But I don't know what other players carded on the day. If there was some 66s a 65 out there, from someone farther down the board, not sure about that.  

• Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3807 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:11 AM

Ever since Bryson DeChambeau said that Augusta is a "par 68" for him, his scoring average is 72.4 there. Ya hate to see it :)

@BSLMikeRandall

#3808 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:17 AM

The CBS article Chris posted mentioned...

"Strokes gained is a sometimes confusing metric, but in this case it's instructive. The number of strokes you gain on the field is a fancy way of saying how much better you were than the field average. Double-digits in a single round happens only a handful of times a year on the PGA Tour in any event, much less at a major championship. Rose finished at just under 10 strokes gained on the day. (Again, he started 2 over thru 7!)"

Considering the factors that it's a major, the greens at Augusta, probably is one of the best rounds relative to the field. 

I know Johnny Miller's final round 63 at Oakmont in 1973 is thought of as the best round ever, considering final round, tough tough tough course, came from six strokes back on Sunday for the win, overtaking some of the all timers in the process (Nicklaus, Player, Palmer, Trevino). But I don't know what other players carded on the day. If there was some 66s a 65 out there, from someone farther down the board, not sure about that.  

Strokes gained is close to what I want, but that's compared to the total field average.  I'm moreso wondering about how far clear of the 2nd best score he was and how that compares to history.

Good call on Miller in 1973.  Looks like Lanny Wadkins had a 65 on the same day as Miller's 63 and 4 players total broke 70 (Jack shot 68).  Par was 71 back then.

https://en.wikipedia...1973_U.S._Open_(golf)

Only 3 players total broke 70 yesterday, Rose and then Harman and Matsuyama at 69.

#3809 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:14 AM

Rose has given it back in this morning session

#3810 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:28 PM

They must've watered the course, some much lower scores out there today.

Weisberger shot 66 and Leishman 67.  Cam Smith at -7 after a tap-in eagle at 13 and Thomas and Finau both -5 on the day coming out of Amen corner.

Rose has gotten back to even today, so is -7 overall, still 2 strokes clear of the field.

#3811 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

Thomas and Finau are playing together and are -6 and -7 on the day, respectively, through 15 to get into the 2nd place tie at -5 overall.

#3812 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

Dechambeau went -5 today to get back to red numbers. Still has a shot. Have to think Spieth and Thomas will be in the thick of it Sun afternoon.

#3813 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

Lefty Brian Harman gets to -6. DJ, McIlroy, Koepka all miss the cut.

#3814 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:03 PM

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhh! [opens window] ZALATORIS!!!!
@BSLMikeRandall

#3815 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:05 PM

Mulva?
  • BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

#3816 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,248 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:56 AM

CBS Sports: Masters 2021: Moving Day will live up to its name this year as a suddenly stacked leaderboard battles it out
https://www.cbssport...battles-it-out/

CBS Sports: Spieth, Thomas are new favorites to win the Masters

#3817 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:14 AM

I enjoyed watching Kim putt with a fairway wood for the final few holes after he broke his putter. Didn't seem to cost him any strokes.

#3818 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

Matsuyama setting the course on fire right now.

#3819 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,599 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

Went 4-2-1 today in matchup bets.

Only annoying loss was Xander. He played really well just went up against a monster round.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3820 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:05 PM

Matsuyama setting the course on fire right now.

Wow, just checked the leaderboard. Turned off coverage after Rose birdied the first two holes. Was starting to think this was his to lose.

Good story to pull for, he comes from one of the towns ravaged by the 2011 tsunami.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=