#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

We got the IPA thread so this can be for other styles, or if you want to be more specific, beers outside the common styles. Anyway, Old Chub Nitro is fantastic. It's like a Guiness mixed with a great scotch ale.

#2 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

I talked about it in the Beer and Food Thread, but have any of you guys had Chimay's offerings?  I've had Westmalle and Rochefort before, and they've all been excellent.  I'm interested to see how Chimay stacks up.  It would take a lot to pass Rochefort, Rochefort 10 is still my favorite brew followed by Rochefort 6.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Chimay is really good, but I doubt it will surpass those other beers for you.

#4 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Got a Cismontane Brewing Company IPA, Cooperstown Brewery Ommegang Three Philosophers Quadrupel Ale and a Stone Collective Distortion IPA that I'm saving for the weekend.  Will have to report back once they've been put in my belly.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Got a Cismontane Brewing Company IPA and a Stone Collective Distortion IPA that I'm saving for the weekend.  Will have to report back once they've been put in my belly.

There's an IPA thread for those. ;) But please report back. I just had a Stone Cali-Belgique aged in red wine barrels at a Philly Beer Week event. It was good, but the original beer, which I love, was overshadowed too much by the red wine flavor.

#6 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

I did pick up Sam Adams White Lantern since there was another sale.  It's not a bad brew, there's a nice hint of orange taste to it.  It's similar to the Summer Ale, but I'd say that brew has a bit more flavor to it.  I haven't had a Blue Moon in a while, but based off my memory of that I'd say White Lantern might be a better version of it.

#7 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

^I got the mixed-case of Sam Adams from Costco that had that in it.  Didn't really care for it too much or the one with the blueberry taste.  Do like the session beer though.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#8 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Their fruit beers are pretty nasty.  I don't think I've had one that I liked.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

Anyone like sours? The New Belgium La Folie is quite good.

#10 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,879 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

^I got the mixed-case of Sam Adams from Costco that had that in it.  Didn't really care for it too much or the one with the blueberry taste.  Do like the session beer though.

I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but I gotta say the Prch Rocker from Sam Adams....I could drink a case of that no problem.
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#11 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Anyone like sours? The New Belgium La Folie is quite good.

By far my favorite style. I may have based my trip to Belgium last fall like 75% around drinking sours from the source.

The La Folie is very good, I just wish it wasn't so expensive for a bomber. For about half the price, I really like the Evil Twin Justin Blabaer, a blueberry Berliner Weiss.

#12 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Nothing pisses off the Cerrano class of drinker more than sours (IPA is second), so I love them for spite. Russian River Consecration is the best I've had.
  • DuffMan likes this

@fuzydunlop

#13 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Nothing pisses off the Cerrano class of drinker more than sours (IPA is second), so I love them for spite. Russian River Consecration is the best I've had.

Someone doesn't appreciate the brilliance it takes to invent vortex bottle technology  ;) .

I went through my beer list, I don't think I've had any sours yet.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

That mixed summer pack of Sam Adams was pretty terrible. The only beer I did like was...their regular lager.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

It's close enough to the weekend, I started with the Tripel out of my Chimay 3 pack.  Looks great, tastes great.  It's quite flavorful without being overly complicated, and there's some nice fruit and spice notes in the taste.  If the other two are this good, I'll consider that 3 pack money well spent.

#16 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

Finished up my Chimay pack.  The best point of comparison is probably the Dubbel since I've had so many of those.  There's an odd taste in that one that I had trouble placing, it's some spice that has almost a chili pepper like taste to it.  It's still delicious, but Rochefort 6 is a lot better.  The Blue was also quite good, it had a heavy dark fruit taste and a pleasant amount of combination.  Overall, my favorite of the pack was the Tripel which received the highest rating I've given out for that style.

#17 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Tried two new brews over the weekend.  First up was Public Works Ale - Red Center Amber.  This was a damn good brew and went down easy,  definitely worth getting again.

The other brew was Flying Fish - Oyster Stout.  I like Flying Fish but this Oyster Stout was a bit overpriced at 17 dollars.  The only thing different btwn this version and Flying Dog's is the abv.  Flying Fish version is 7.5 abv while Flying Dog's is 5.5.  All else being similar I'll take FD as I would prefer the lower abv.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

I bought some Dead Rise today. I like it. Tastes like a pale ale, but you can smell the Old Bay, and even taste it just a bit.

@DJ_McCann

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Picked up 16 Mile Brewing Company's - Tiller Brown Ale over the weekend.  Do yourself a favor and skip this one.  I don't know how you screw up  a brown ale but 16 Mile managed to do it.  Very underwhelming beer.

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

http://www.pastemaga...-drink.html?a=1

Here's a pretty balanced and well thought out beer list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=