Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

I did say a healthy bulls team.

Being a 4 or 5 seed becomes "not enough". You will want more, like we do with the Os and giving bad contracts to mediocre players isn't the way to get you over the top.

Ok, well I think the likelihood of a Bulls team being healthy (aka Rose) is slim.  If he comes back and becomes MVP caliber again after those injuries would be very surprising.

As for wanting more, sure, but these are baby steps we are talking about.

Also, on what planet is Gortat just a "mediocre" player?  Not on Earth I can tell you that much.

So, assuming Rose comes back at 75% and Miami loses LeBron (I know, these are assumptions but they are at least grounded in some sort of reality) what team in the East would really prevent this Wizards team from winning the conference at some point?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Ok, well I think the likelihood of a Bulls team being healthy (aka Rose) is slim.  If he comes back and becomes MVP caliber again after those injuries would be very surprising.

As for wanting more, sure, but these are baby steps we are talking about.

Also, on what planet is Gortat just a "mediocre" player?  Not on Earth I can tell you that much.

So, assuming Rose comes back at 75% and Miami loses LeBron (I know, these are assumptions but they are at least grounded in some sort of reality) what team in the East would really prevent this Wizards team from winning the conference at some point?

I'm not talking about Gortat as much as I am Ariza.

And Gortat is a good player but where will he be as he gets well into his 30s and he's taking up a lot of payroll space?

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,397 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

CBS Sports: Top 40 FA's...   Had Gortat and Ariza as 13th & 14th

http://www.cbssports...-40-free-agents

13. Marcin Gortat, C, Washington Wizards

Strengths: The most well-rounded center in this free agency class. Strong as an ox, capable of bursts of power to finish inside that surprise opponents. Has refined his pick and roll/pop game to within an inch of its life, and rarely finds himself out of position on either end. A tough defender and monster rebounder. Smart player who teammates respond to and gives great effort and energy consistently. Never takes a play off. Reliable mid-range shot from face-up, reliable running hook shot, good-not-great footwork in the post and is almost never a liability for you on the floor. Tells it how it is and teammates and coaches respond positively to it.

Weaknesses: Not a "give him the ball and get out of his way" scorer. Can get tripped up in traffic defensively. Super-athletes can overwhelm him defensively, but he'll make them work. Can get caught up too much in weakside coverage. Struggles with crafty rebounders.

Analysis: Gortat was a home-run acquisition for the Wizards last year, and they want to bring him back. He's a smart player, he's tough, he's versatile, and he's well-liked. The guy genuinely wants to be a part of a winning environment. You have to start him and you have to involve him, but if you do, he'll contribute. He's a veteran and a pro who isn't dominant but is extremely reliable. He makes your team better, but how much do you pay for a guy who's not going to totally change the game?

14. Trevor Ariza, F, Washington Wizards

Strengths: He's a survivor, he's not going to give up. He's going to work harder. Keep on surviving. Has come back from potentially falling off the NBA planet to be a major part of conference contending teams. Is one of the best contract-year players you'll ever find. Is enjoying a resurgence in perimeter shooting that if sustainable, can totally overhaul an offense. A long, versatile defender who can take point in the pick and roll to defend the ball handler or cover shooters. Recovers extremely well and closes out like an F-15. Strong defender in the post and a savvy player off the cut. His ability to stick in this league despite statistical dips shows his character and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Inconsistent shooter. If he's not spreading the floor for you, he becomes a liability, because there's almost nothing else he can do for you. Extremely solvable with quality defense. The last time he played well in a contract year (2008-09), the resulting contract (a 5-year, $33 million pact with the Rockets) was a near-disaster (he lasted one season in Houston). He's more a product of the system than an influence upon it.

Analysis: If you believe Ariza's shooting has evened out, and that he can benefit from your system, he can be a terrific addition. He's relatively consistent all-around, a veteran, professional, and has been a part of some great defenses. He's this high on this list because he has very little down side.

#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

I'm not talking about Gortat as much as I am Ariza.

And Gortat is a good player but where will he be as he gets well into his 30s and he's taking up a lot of payroll space?

Well Ariza had a great year last year, so I wouldn't call him mediocre either.

I will confess that the end of the Gortat contract is a tad bit iffy -- I'm not in love with the 5th year but apparently that is what they needed to do to keep him around.  And, really, where else were the Wizards going to find a center to give us what Gortat can?  A double double per night, a good passer for a big and an OK defender.  Nene is hurt too much and there really isn't anything else out there right now.  Maybe they can find a team that wants to clear cap space to pick up his deal when it's expiring, who knows, that's a ways away.

@bopper33

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

I mean, Ariza had a good year last year...but he had 4 straight years of basically being a 40% shooter. He doesn't get much in the way of assists.

He's a decent rebounder, a good defender and a guy that has had some injury issues.

On top of that, he is hitting that age area where so many of these guys start to wear down...10 years in the league already and he is only 29..the decline in his game will occur...if you lock him up, that's likely to occur while you have him and, again, he will,be taking up a decent amount of payroll.

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

I mean, Ariza had a good year last year...but he had 4 straight years of basically being a 40% shooter. He doesn't get much in the way of assists.

He's a decent rebounder, a good defender and a guy that has had some injury issues.

On top of that, he is hitting that age area where so many of these guys start to wear down...10 years in the league already and he is only 29..the decline in his game will occur...if you lock him up, that's likely to occur while you have him and, again, he will,be taking up a decent amount of payroll.

All fair points but again, who can the Wizards realistically get to take his place?  #6 on Miami would be nice and all, but that's a pipe dream.  Maybe if Houston trades Parsons as part of a ploy to get LeBron?

@bopper33

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

All fair points but again, who can the Wizards realistically get to take his place?  #6 on Miami would be nice and all, but that's a pipe dream.  Maybe if Houston trades Parsons as part of a ploy to get LeBron?

I don't know...don't know their cap situation and you can't do a sign and trade because you probably have to include Beal unless someone really likes Porter.

But I also don't think you HAVE to sign someone just for the hell of it.

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

I don't know...don't know their cap situation and you can't do a sign and trade because you probably have to include Beal unless someone really likes Porter.
But I also don't think you HAVE to sign someone just for the hell of it.

If trading Parsons means landing LeBron the Rockets will give him away.

• SportsGuy likes this

@bopper33

#29 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

Signing Ariza is giving up on the Durrant pipe dream right?

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,397 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Grantland: Answering Some Questions About the Wizards’ Offseason

http://grantland.com...ards-offseason/

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

@SBNationNBA Trevor Ariza is joining the Rockets for $32 million over four years: http://www.sbnation....nba-free-agency

@levineps

#32 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

The Durrant dream lives on!
  • Oriole85, Pedro Cerrano, DJ MC and 1 other like this

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Wiz sign Paul Pierce. I can't stand this guy but he obviously fills a need and adds veteran presence. Also, this clearly shows the team is not sold on Otto Porter.

@bopper33

#34 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Pedro beat me to it.  Interesting signing for them.  He's obviously on the downswing of his career, but I don't think adding a vet to the rotation is a bad thing for them.

#35 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Boom I called that Paul Pierce move

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Better than signing Ariza to the contract he got.

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Better than signing Ariza to the contract he got.

Can't argue this point, especially when you consider that Pierce, although older, is the much more consistent player.  Lots of Wiz fans I know seem to think that Ariza's "special" year was driven by the fact he was set to get paid.

@bopper33

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,648 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Still, cheering for Paul Pierce??

Gross!

Once Weber shakes off his New Orleans hangover I'd like to see his thoughts lol.

@bopper33

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Still, cheering for Paul Pierce??
Gross!
Once Weber shakes off his New Orleans hangover I'd like to see his thoughts lol.

Cheer for the team, not the player. :)

#40 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

So apparently Ariza is a sign and trade with the Rockets and we recieve 8.5 mill trade exception.  What does that mean?

Rockets Acquire Trevor Ariza In Sign-And-Trade

July 13 at 5:08pm CDT By Zach Links

The Rockets have acquired Trevor Ariza in a sign-and-trade deal with the Wizards, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter).  The Wizards will receive an $8.5MM trade exception in the deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=