Photo

Why is it so hard for bars/restaurants to...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

I can't even imagine being a Premier League fan on the West Coast.

That's where the DVR comes in handy.  No way I'm getting up at like 4 am for a soccer game.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#42 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Forgot to mention another incident.

At an Ellicott City bar a couple weeks ago, it's not crowded and they have 2 TV's. One is on the NHL playoffs and the other is on lacrosse. Ask the bartender to put on the O's game, she says someone specifically asked for the hockey game, no biggie, ended up learning that two people at the bar (and ironically they didn't know each other) were Blackhawks fans. Fine.

The lacrosse game was ending as soon as we arrived, but she still acted like it was a problem to change it to the O's game. She asked the people seated closest to the TV if it was OK to change channel and they said OK, they may not have even been the people watching because they weren't paying any attention to it.

Finally my buddy is like, if you can't put the game on, we'll leave -- not an issue. But she ended up doing it so we stayed.

But still. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

What EC bar were you at?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'd rather not say.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, I was wondering that too, so I don't got here. I'll be there next weekend hitting up the bars. To not have the O's game on in the first place, in Ellicott City, is absurd. How stupid can you be.

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

I've been in every bar in Ellicott City and I'm trying to think of one that just has two TVs....I have an inkling it's Ellicott Mills Brewery (I believe they have just two HDTVs up there) but memory doesn't serve.

@bopper33

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

I've been in every bar in Ellicott City and I'm trying to think of one that just has two TVs....I have an inkling it's Ellicott Mills Brewery (I believe they have just two HDTVs up there) but memory doesn't serve.

That's what I was thinking too... though downstairs they have a few more and a projection screen.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

This is why you get a full liquor set up, dart board, shuffleboard table and big TV with surround sound...that way you don't have to go to this shitty bars run by morons.  :)

#49 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'd rather not say.

That gay bar could probably withstand the negative publicity. I say fire away.
  • SportsGuy, Adam Wolff, Pedro Cerrano and 2 others like this

@fuzydunlop

#50 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's the place I celebrated my 21st b-day so I have some sentimental memories there, despite the TV problem.

#51 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

I've had this issue too, but if you don't get the service you want get up and take your business eleswhere.

Why go to a place that repeatedly fails to meet your needs as a customer?

@scotk09

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Bump. This is still a huge issue but now that I've had DirecTV for almost a year I can literally guide whatever moron is behind the bar to put the correct channel on.

@bopper33

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

This continues to blow my mind. I'm surprised I didn't have to ask them to put the Caps game on tonight. But it took them 20 minutes to get the O's game on a small TV no one was watching for me. Sigh.

#54 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

The newest wrinkle. Blackouts. Fortunately DirecTV will automatically find the game. Unfortunately you have to hit "yes" to move it over. I was out for trivia Tuesday and wanted the Os Caps and Wiz all on. It was rough at first. But got it done.

It's just completely bewildering. These people WORK AT THE BAR. shouldn't knowing how the TV system works be akin to knowing how the register works?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#55 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

The newest wrinkle. Blackouts. Fortunately DirecTV will automatically find the game. Unfortunately you have to hit "yes" to move it over. I was out for trivia Tuesday and wanted the Os Caps and Wiz all on. It was rough at first. But got it done.

It's just completely bewildering. These people WORK AT THE BAR. shouldn't knowing how the TV system works be akin to knowing how the register works?

It is kinda amazing how they look at the remote like it's some kind of future-thing from a sci-fi movie...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#56 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

I mean if you don't own a TV with a ton of channels and you're not into sports and watching TV I get it, that's fine. My biggest issue is don't you have to work the TV at work pretty much every shift? Wouldnt you eventually learn the ins and outs? I just don't get that.

@bopper33

#57 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

My recent experiences with this:

Big chain sports bar in Westminster. The Caps game was on, so I get that they have to pipe the sound through the speakers but I think there was maybe one person watching it. Meanwhile, the draft is on mute. Not a huge mistake, but still...

Now this is the kicker. An upscale bar/restaurant in Frederick. Granted it's not a place to watch sports but while the O's game was being played they had a handicapped hockey game on. 

Handicapped hockey.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

Shout out to the manager at Champps in Columbia.  Competent at changing the channels!  If you've never been there, they basically have a massive "control operations center" where all the channels are changed.  Obviously only the manager can go in there.  Fortunately, she knows what she's doing.  Unfortunately she's sometimes hard to track down because she's managing the entire restaurant.  Life's not perfect.

@bopper33

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:20 AM

I like when they have NHL or NBA network on in July, or they never turn it off MASN from the O's game the night before and you get to see Heartland Poker Tour.

How about bars that the bartender plays music that THEY like. And its usually something awful, obscure, and not typical for a bar setting.

"What is this?"
"Its my ipod! You like it?!"
"Hmmmm. No."
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Now this is the kicker. An upscale bar/restaurant in Frederick. Granted it's not a place to watch sports but while the O's game was being played they had a handicapped hockey game on. 

Handicapped hockey.

Damn NMS bringing the hate towards the handicapped,  that's harsh!  I bet you park in handicap spots too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=