• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Camden Chat: Is this the end for Endy Chavez?
http://www.camdencha...ioles#storyjump

Obviously a very rough first 55 ab's for Chavez this year. His OPS is .318, which is less than his on-base % (.323) alone last year. (.749 OPS, 19 xbh's in 256 ab's.)

You wonder how the sore abdomen is impacting him?

I won't beat him to death, I'm sure he will be better than he has shown. I just don't want to see him leading off again. He can help a roster as a reserve 4th OF, defensive replacement. Just looks to be a guy that would be greatly exposed when forced to play everyday.

#2 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Camden Chat: Is this the end for Endy Chavez?
http://www.camdencha...ioles#storyjump

Obviously a very rough first 55 ab's for Chavez this year. His OPS is .318, which is less than his on-base % (.323) alone last year. (.749 OPS, 19 xbh's in 256 ab's.)

You wonder how the sore abdomen is impacting him?

I won't beat him to death, I'm sure he will be better than he has shown. I just don't want to see him leading off again. He can help a roster as a reserve 4th OF, defensive replacement. Just looks to be a guy that would be greatly exposed when forced to play everyday.

Well, he did okay last year and had 274 plate appearances. I don't think he's worn out or over exposed. Just slumping. He hit about .500 this spring and slumped towards the end. I think you can putting him out there until Reimold comes back and then spot him and use him as a defensive replacement in the late innings for Reimold. I agree that he should bat 9th for now and maybe forever but I'd rather have him out there than Betemit. Chavez will hit eventually and his tons better with the glove. The O's have been lucky that defense hasn't cost them more games. Time to stop depending on luck and put a better defensive team on the field.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

He is being misused.

He isn't an everyday player and he isn't a leadoff hitter.

He is a guy that should start 1, maybe 2 games a week and be a late inning defensive replacement for Reimold and/or pinch runner late for someone like Wieters.

That's it.

Buck has played him entirely too much, even when Reimold was healthy and batting him leadoff is just moronic.

#4 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

He's leading off tonight. Hopefully we bunt him every time, because he ain't getting on base if he swings.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#5 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

He's leading off tonight. Hopefully we bunt him every time, because he ain't getting on base if he swings.

Endy getting no love but your post almost guarantees one clean base hit. Thank you.

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Endy getting no love but your post almost guarantees one clean base hit. Thank you.

I do what I can ;)
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Chavez with a double to the gap. :)
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#8 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

A friend of mine was asking me this and I could not come up with a great reason why, so I thought someone could help me here. How is Endy Chavez still playing for the Orioles? He's not really hitting that great. I know that he's trying and that this might end up just being a slump, but I would figure that the Orioles should have had Xavier Avery up here more. Gives the club more speed.
@mrbeanage

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I am sure they feel Endy will seek his career levels at some point. They have had the bad are hoping for the good. If Endy could find his way to first base more than once a month, he could provide a little speed. He is a solid defensive outfielder, IMO.
@mikeghg

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

MASN / Kubatko: Chavez to the DL, Tolleson recalled
http://www.masnsport...avez-to-dl.html

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Tolleson getting the start in LF tonight, that's great to see. Glad to see him come back so soon, I know it was tough for Buck to send him down.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

4 hits, a walk, and 2 rbi today for Chavez. Good for him.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

It's great that he's playing so well as of late, because sadly, he's very much needed with the losses of Nick and Wilson.

#14 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Chavez is a perfect example of why this team has succeeded this year. When some guys are cold or there are injuries, unlikely players are helping to carry the load. Based on ability alone, Chavez really has no business getting 4 hits in a game, but look what he did. I haven't been a fan of his at all this season, but him not being an automatic out since Nick's injury is great.

@AdamWolff

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Chavez really has no business getting 4 hits in a game, but look what he did. I haven't been a fan of his at all this season, but him not being an automatic out since Nick's injury is great.

Well, he's never gonna win a Silver Slugger... but he's also not nearly as weak as what we saw from him in the first half either. Every few years he will hit .300 with a decent OBP, it's just that we didn't see any of that early on. He was amazingly weak in the first half of the season, but since June was over he's actually done way, way better than maybe it feels like... it's mainly that he was so lame early on that he got typecast... if you look into it, he's actually been making up for it lately...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

I recall there was a sizable faction who wanted to keep Gregg instead of Endy, so far it looks like DFAing Gregg and bringing up Endy was a good move.
@levineps

#17 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

In Endy's limited 2nd half action, he's hitting .342/.390/.526. Only 42 plate appearances, but still. Considering he can play defense well and pinch run, I'd say he's got plenty of value right now, even moreso with the Markakis injury.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=