#81 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

It's not the Marathon though, it's the whole "Everyone must conflate the Marathon tragedy with the Red Sox" crap. Please. It's like how everyone said you had to root for the Yankees in the World Series after 9/11, unless you lived in Arizona....otherwise you were unpatriotic.

I'm ok with it. If god forbid something happened in Baltimore, and the Orioles became an important part of the healing in the community, I'd expect many tributes a year later.

It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about hating the Red Sox or Yankees....Some things are just more important. If Having Big Papi and his wife and kids at the finish line makes people feel better, I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with that.

• Oriole85 likes this
@beginthebegin71

#82 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Great first game for General Greivis.

18 points, 8 assists, 1 TO in 29 minutes.  He's turned himself into a very solid NBA-er.  Nice to see him prove a lot of the naysayers wrong.

#83 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

I'm ok with it. If god forbid something happened in Baltimore, and the Orioles became an important part of the healing in the community, I'd expect many tributes a year later.

It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about hating the Red Sox or Yankees....Some things are just more important. If Having Big Papi and his wife and kids at the finish line makes people feel better, I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with that.

Oh I agree that the community rallying around their sports team can certainly help the healing. And I would hope that all of us as a nation would reach out to help our fellow citizens, no matter what state or city, when tragedies like that occur....but I don't expect fans of rival teams to suddenly root for the Orioles or Ravens if something terrible happens in Baltimore.

#84 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Back on topic....the Griz have made a game of it, whittling the lead to single-digits late in the 3rd.

#85 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Sports is a very important part of the healing process as you said. You saw that with the forementioned 9/11 (Yankees and other NYC area teams) and Marathon bombings (Red Sox and other Boston teams) as well as for Hurricane Katrina (Saints) and Virginia Tech tragedy. It just reinforces how it's only a game but at the same time a welcomed distraction. It's also one way to have an impromptu public ceremony in a non-sectarian way.

I'm hardly a fan of Big Papi, but his "This is our ******* city" was a great moment. After 9/11, Jack Buck's poem stuck out as it was OK to play baseball again.

I get that the whole country is going to be rooting against the O's on Monday, that's fine for one day. I thought it was great when I heard that Big Papi was going to the finish line after the game.

@levineps

#86 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

Looks like OKC has things well in hand.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Spurs up 15-7 over Dallas, 3 mts in left in the 1st. Parker getting into the lane at will.

#88 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

@TurnerSportsPR Craig Sager Jr. will interview Gregg Popovich at the end of the third quarter of today's Mavs-Spurs game. #GetWellSager

@levineps

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Devin Harris with a big half, Dallas leads at halftime.

#90 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

@TurnerSportsPR Craig Sager Jr. will interview Gregg Popovich at the end of the third quarter of today's Mavs-Spurs game. #GetWellSager

That might've been the first time I've seen Pop be nice to a sideline reporter.

#91 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Al Jefferson just got hurt, not a good sign for charlotte, though they're competing early.

@beginthebegin71

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I just realized the O's and Wizards were playing at the EXACT same time. I mean the O's just play so many Sunday Night games at 7 PM. I think it was Tom Davis who said, "couldn't they have picked two other teams playing on Sunday?" I don't usually care too much about this stuff, but seems to me this shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I can't imagine anyone is actually upset/even noticing this. 

• Mackus likes this

#93 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Birdman is really fun to watch.

@beginthebegin71

#94 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

Pop is the man. 

#95 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Pop is the man. 

He's not bad.

@beginthebegin71

#96 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I can't imagine anyone is actually upset/even noticing this. 

People who are both hardcore Wizards/O's fans? I'm not a big Wizards fan by any measure, but it would've been nice if they were playing at separate times.

I don't think the O's/Red Sox should be playing at at 7 PM in the first place. They play one 11 AM game a year at Fenway on a Monday, I think they could've played this at 1 PM and picked another Red Sox game to televise. ESPN wants to highlight the Marathon anniversary, so I get why they did it, I just think it's inconvenient for the players. At the end of the day, it's just one game, but one situation I think that could've been easily avoided.

@levineps

#97 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

That might've been the first time I've seen Pop be nice to a sideline reporter.

That was one of those as I refer to it as "real TV." I saw the backstory on it was that Pop insisted that it be Craig Sager Jr as opposed to the assigned SLR.

@levineps

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

For those who may have missed it.

http://www.nba.com/i.../?snapid=222696

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

For those who may have missed it.

http://www.nba.com/i.../?snapid=222696

That was cool, thanks for the link.

#100 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Pop is the man. 

He's not bad.

There are times when I swear he could probably take the three of us and turn us into useful rotation players. Dude is some kind of sorcerer.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=