Bullpen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

The Orioles actually have the best bullpen ERA in the majors right now by far. After the great weekend series they had against the Red Sox, their ERA is down to an amazing 1.41. I examined if the Orioles bullpen has any hope of staying there. Check it out.

http://eutawstreetbl... ... eball.html
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLKevinEbert

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

They have NO hope of staying at 1.41. That should be obvious, because no bullpen does that. A bullpen of six Mariano Riveras wouldn't do that.

They could, however, actually be on the upside of the volatility of league-average relief pitching for once, and take advantage of several pitchers having great years all at once with a couple having the chance to become bullpen anchors.

#3 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I don't actually think they have any chance of maintaining the 1.41 ERA for the year. Yes, that's pretty obvious. I think that they've received a fair amount of luck to get where they are now. I go through each bullpen member one by one to see who's been lucky and who's been good.

Above average at the end of the year would be great...
@BSLKevinEbert

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Its funny, I started writing a thread on this exact topic(in basically the same format) the other day and then i just didn't feel like taking the time to get as in depth with things as I needed to.

End of the day, my basic conclusion about the pen is that we have guys who have had some command/control issues in the past and while they could be fine this year, there is just nothing we can do but wait and see and just hope that as these guys continue to build confidence, that this continues.

I would still say I don't see the BP ending the year with a sub 4 ERA unless offense is really down again, maybe even more down than it was last year.

But even if the pen can be a 4.1-4.2 ERA pen, that would be good and would likely mean the team finishes with a win total that begins, at least, with a 7 vs a 6.

#5 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think the pen can have a better ERA than that. They actually had a 4.18 ERA last year and they were generally awful outside of Johnson, Uehara, Strop, and Patton. Last year Gregg was the #1 or #2 guy in the pen. Now he's the last guy out of the bullpen. That's certainly a step in the right direction.

Strop could be a real find and this guy Pomeranz looked great last night. I think they've got to find room for him. His stuff was really good, and he was able to pitch 3 innings. Could he be the excuse to get rid of Gregg?
@BSLKevinEbert

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

I think the pen can have a better ERA than that. They actually had a 4.18 ERA last year and they were generally awful outside of Johnson, Uehara, Strop, and Patton. Last year Gregg was the #1 or #2 guy in the pen. Now he's the last guy out of the bullpen. That's certainly a step in the right direction.

Strop could be a real find and this guy Pomeranz looked great last night. I think they've got to find room for him. His stuff was really good, and he was able to pitch 3 innings. Could he be the excuse to get rid of Gregg?

Sure, it can...but I don't know how realistic it is to EXPECT it to be better than that.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

O'Day, Strop, and Johnson were awesome tonight.

#8 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

I actually get excited when the bullpen comes in now!
@bings012

#9 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Another great outing by the bullpen tonight. Will be interested to see what happens with Lindstrom on the DL, but I think this becomes a great chance for Pomeranz to cement himself in the 'pen.

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

19 total pitches used to get 9 outs. That is unbelievably impressive.

#11 Guest_Oriole4Life_*

Guest_Oriole4Life_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

This is a good bullpen. I think it's the #1 reason why we are winning. It's lacking a spot starter/long man, but I think that will change before long. They are logging a lot of innings, but the extra-inning games didn't help. If the starters consistently go 6/7 innings, I think they could maintain a sub 4 ERA and maybe sub 3. It's a long season, but we have quite a few good arms.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

This is essentially the bullpen the Orioles SHOULD have built a long time ago. A group of average, talented, but replaceable pitchers who don't cost much* and can be used as long as they are effective and moved out when they struggle.

*Yeah, I know: Gregg. His contract is essentially meaningless at this point, though, so I am willing to include him as a replaceable player.

All the years and money spent on trying to catch lightning in a bottle with "name" pitchers, and this is the bullpen that works. This is something most of us have known for a while.

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

This is essentially the bullpen the Orioles SHOULD have built a long time ago. A group of average, talented, but replaceable pitchers who don't cost much* and can be used as long as they are effective and moved out when they struggle.

*Yeah, I know: Gregg. His contract is essentially meaningless at this point, though, so I am willing to include him as a replaceable player.

All the years and money spent on trying to catch lightning in a bottle with "name" pitchers, and this is the bullpen that works. This is something most of us have known for a while.

The Rays have been using this model for about 5 years now.

#14 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

19 total pitches used to get 9 outs. That is unbelievably impressive.

19 pitches, 17 strikes.
@BSLLukeJackson

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

The Rays have been using this model for about 5 years now.

Yep. Part of the reason they keep winning.

#16 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Agree. It seems like the might have realized this on an amateur scouting level too; because a lot of the arms we drafted last year project to be solid arms, but bullpen types.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...n-and-more.html

"Lindstrom won't be ready to come off the disabled list when he's eligible on Saturday. Lindstrom, who has a partial tear in a ligament in his right middle finger, will need to pitch in a few games in the minors. He's feeling good, but he needs to make sure that his command has returned."

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

MASN / Kubatko: Lindstrom nearing return to the mound
http://www.masnsport...n-to-mound.html

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Glad to see the physical activity has begun again for Lindstrom. They hope he's back prior to the July 9th AS Break, so it sounds like he's at least a few weeks away, best case scenario. It's been fantastic that our BP has been able to still be dominant without Lindstrom.

#20 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

Here's a little analysis I wrote about Buck's usage of the bullpen.

It's late so if it doesn't make sense, let me know.

http://warehousewort...cal-genius.html
@JeffLongBP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=