#461 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

Also gotta give a shout to the Poland (I'm a 1/4 Polish) Hammer Thrower who set a new WR! She launced that thing!

#462 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

Of course the IOc is going to deny it but this isn't their fault or the fault of them choosing Rio.

This could have happened anywhere.

This happened in Atlanta and (IIRC) Sochi, too.

#463 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

Doubles ping pong... crazy...  I think playing with a partner is much harder than playing alone.

#464 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Kudos to Andy Murray

https://mic.com/arti...cial#.DkUNaBT46

#465 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

Mens 1500 meter heats get underway this morning,  local runner Matt Centrowitz with a legit chance to get a medal.

Great race last night in the womens 400m final.  Allyson Felix comes up just a few hundrets of a second short to Shaunae Miller and has to settle for the silver.  Felix is now the most decorated USA female track athlete of all time.

#466 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

Kudos to Andy Murray

https://mic.com/arti...cial#.DkUNaBT46

Nadal also has two gold medals

#467 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

Mens 1500 meter heats get underway this morning,  local runner Matt Centrowitz with a legit chance to get a medal.

Great race last night in the womens 400m final.  Allyson Felix comes up just a few hundrets of a second short to Shaunae Miller and has to settle for the silver.  Felix is now the most decorated USA female track athlete of all time.

Apparently a fair amount of people are up in arms about Miller's dive at the finish of the 400. I'm guessing they've never seen a track meet before because that happens on occasion.

#468 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

Centrowitz onto the semifinals

#469 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

Most of the track and field events are so boring to me.

#470 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Just heard a phrase you can only hear every 4 years:

"This has been a big year for Malaysian Badminton"

• RShack likes this

#471 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

Womens 800m heats ongoing this morning.  Caster Semenya of South Africa is through to the next round.  Most experts expect her to win the gold.  If that name sounds familiar to you it should.  SI had an article on her recently that's worth reading.

http://www.si.com/ol...track-and-field

#472 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

Evan Jager (USA) just took the Silver in the Steeple Chase!!!  First medal in this event by an American since '84.   This is a big deal.  Jager is a beast and he hung with the Kenyans the hole way, nice to see his efforts rewarded!

#473 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Ok, this Lochte thing is getting a little crazy...

#474 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

I'm no law expert, but this is pretty stupid.  What right do they have to hold these guys in Brazil?  And their evidence is that their stories don't line up, when I'm sure they were all intoxicated at the time?

I don't know, the whole thing just seems really dumb.

#475 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

I guess the "but he's a good swimmer" legal defense doesn't work over there.

#476 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

I wonder if it would work for a footballer though, like if Neymar got in trouble.  We know it works for football players here, at least in Tallahassee.

#477 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

It gets weirder by the moment. On one hand, the more info about their story that comes out the more it sounds like made-up bullshit. On the other hand, I can't think of any practical reason for them to fabricate such a story, even as a cover-up for something else. All I can come up with is that they are somehow insured against such crimes while down there and they need the money to pay income taxes on the medals they won.

#478 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:24 AM

I don't know, the whole thing just seems really dumb.

This is South America we're talking about... many amazing people and beautiful things there.... but they can get kinda crazy over not much...

A couple years ago in they had riots in Argentina, court cases, and a major international incident... Why?... Because the guys from Top Gear went there to film a show, and Jeremy Clarkson's Porsche had a license plate number that the local folks decided was a reference to the 1982 Falklands War... they thought Clarkson had the license plate specially made just to rub it in... It turned into a major international incident... over the number on a dang license plate. A few boys being boys out on the town can't hold a candle to that...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#479 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

Our legal system has flaws but I'll take ours over theirs any day.  What is their crime?  At absolute worst, making a false police report.  And while I don't doubt they may have embellished it, I do doubt that they made the whole thing up.  But even if they did, you're going to detain someone in your country for that?  Crazy.

This is South America we're talking about... many amazing people and beautiful things there.... but they can get kinda crazy over not much...

A couple years ago in they had riots in Argentina, court cases, and a major international incident... Why?... Because the guys from Top Gear went there to film a show, and Jeremy Clarkson's Porsche had a license plate number that the local folks decided was a reference to the 1982 Falklands War... they thought Clarkson had the license plate specially made just to rub it in... It turned into a major international incident... over the number on a dang license plate. A few boys being boys out on the town can't hold a candle to that...

True.  Our church used to go to Mexico to work in a community there.  Did a lot of good work helping to build buildings, provide food, clothing and other necessities.  We even had a dentist in our church that went down and held a free clinic.  We eventually stopped because people we being detained for bribe money essentially.  Never happened to any of our folks but we'd heard it from many others.

#480 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

Not sure if I think the Rio PD or Lochte has less credibility.  I could pretty easily believe the worst about either.

Pretty crazy that they aren't letting them leave the country (at least the ones that aren't already out).  At worst the swimmers are guilty of making a false police report, right?  Seems like a small potatoes thing to be holding someone's passport over. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=