685 replies to this topic

#81 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Do you start Wieters tomorrow, and Sunday and rest him Saturday against Detwiler?

He was completely out of the lineup today. I suspect he'll catch all 3 games and will definitely be in the lineup for all 3. He might DH against Detwiler Saturday.

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

I'd love to see him face Strasburg, but after getting today off, my guess is tomorrow/Fri and Sun as DH(or maybe off?)

He was completely out of the lineup today. I suspect he'll catch all 3 games and will definitely be in the lineup for all 3. He might DH against Detwiler Saturday.

With you both mentioning it, I'm wondering if I missed a new provision of the CBA allowing for the DH in National League parks...but I can't find that anywhere, so I'm thinking it will be difficult for Wieters to DH this weekend. :D

#83 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Yeah I'm an idiot, I totally forgot about the lack of DH -- stupid NL rules -- so yeah he doesn't play Sunday.
@levineps

#84 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

I vote he catches all 3.. he can get back to DH in the Boston series, and with Wednesday being a day game, and Thursday off, there is a good opportunity to rest right around the corner.
@bings012

#85 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

I vote he catches all 3.. he can get back to DH in the Boston series, and with Wednesday being a day game, and Thursday off, there is a good opportunity to rest right around the corner.

If both games go relatively smoothly I could see that. I think 1B on Sunday might even be a possibility
@levineps

#86 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'd love to see him face Strasburg, but after getting today off, my guess is tomorrow/Fri and Sun as DH(or maybe off?)

With you both mentioning it, I'm wondering if I missed a new provision of the CBA allowing for the DH in National League parks...but I can't find that anywhere, so I'm thinking it will be difficult for Wieters to DH this weekend. :D

I thought about my post while watching the game tonight. :oops:

Anyway, with Wieters struggling, most of those ABs coming from the left side, I'm starting to think he will get Sunday off vs Strasburg. Would be very surprised if he sits tomorrow after having Thursday off.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Wieters has caught the last 4 games. Before going 0 for 7 last night, Wieters had hits in the previous 3 games, with 2 doubles, and a homer.

The 0 for 7 dragged his average to .260, and his OPS to .852.

Followed up by an 0 for 5 tonight.

Good article on Wieters from Yahoo's Jeff Passan:
http://sports.yahoo....P8qDli8aHU5nYcB

#88 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Good article on Wieters from Yahoo's Jeff Passan:
http://sports.yahoo....P8qDli8aHU5nYcB

A 'wow' article... thanks for sharing this Chris. Though Matt is slumping, my thoughts still haven't changed from December ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=313 ), when I opined that I'd not trade him for any player in baseball. It's a debatable position to take, but if Wieters keeps pace with his offensive output thus far, coupled with the great work behind the plate, the debate becomes less difficult for me.

#89 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

A 'wow' article... thanks for sharing this Chris. Though Matt is slumping, my thoughts still haven't changed from December ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=313 ), when I opined that I'd not trade him for any player in baseball. It's a debatable position to take, but if Wieters keeps pace with his offensive output thus far, coupled with the great work behind the plate, the debate becomes less difficult for me.

It really was a 'wow' article - great read.

This part was pretty awesome:

Wieters has helped coax a 3.41 ERA out of a patchwork Orioles staff. When everyone else on the team plane is passing around a bottle of Compass Box Asyla scotch to taste, Wieters defers and buries himself with his iPad to ready for the next series. He understands: The Orioles are going nowhere soon without Wieters and his faculty for knowing exactly what to throw and when to throw it.

"The No. 1 job for the catcher is to get his pitching staff ready," Wieters said. "That's how you're going to win the most games. You want the offensive numbers to be there, but at the same time, the catcher can win more games with his pitch calling and defense."

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

0 for 3 tonight, with 2 k's and walk. Wieters is now 5 for his last 46.

Did think he had a great game working with Matusz behind the plate.

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

He should get the day off tomorrow and with the off day on Thursday, that gives him almost 3 days between games by the time he plays on Friday night.

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

He should get the day off tomorrow and with the off day on Thursday, that gives him almost 3 days between games for him.

Yeah, given all of his responsibilities, and all of the extra innings he probably really needs an extended break.

#93 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

And since it's a 4 game on Saturday, I would like to see them DH him on one of the 2 weekend games.

#94 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Rest Matty as much as necessary. Not sure if fatigue can explain his struggles, but he's been brutal at the plate.

Hopefully today and tomorrow off can get his batteries recharged a bit.

@AdamWolff

#95 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

http://www.entrepren... ... slump.html

#96 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Rest Matty as much as necessary. Not sure if fatigue can explain his struggles, but he's been brutal at the plate.

I agree. It's a long season.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#97 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

I agree. It's a long season.

It's a delicate balance since they he's never really had a solid backup catcher. But he could probably use a few more offdays.
@levineps

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Being off Wednesday, and the team being off Thursday; did not help Wieters Friday night. He still looked like he was swinging a 2x4. I'm pleased he is back in the lineup to catch Chen tonight (MASN discussed last night, that Chen and Exposito were not on the same page in DC).

Wieters did walk in has last plate appearance last night. Would like to see him have a couple of knocks and get going tonight. Really want to see his bat start coming around prior to the 9 game road trip vs. the division.

Would you start him again tomorrow, with Matusz on the mound? As it is a 4pm game today, and he was just off Wednesday and Thursday - I think he could, but I'd probably give him off.

#99 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

I noticed in Adam Wolff's All-Star Game thread that Wieters is currently first in the AL in caught stealing percentage.

Now, clearly Wieters is a fantastic defensive catcher, but I've noticed a few more mistakes this year than last. Just Friday, he tried to throw out a runner and it went to centerfield. He's had a few of those this year.

Just goes to show you how great of a season Wieters had last year, and how he stacks up to other MLB catchers defensively.

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I noticed in Adam Wolff's All-Star Game thread that Wieters is currently first in the AL in caught stealing percentage.

Now, clearly Wieters is a fantastic defensive catcher, but I've noticed a few more mistakes this year than last. Just Friday, he tried to throw out a runner and it went to centerfield. He's had a few of those this year.

Just goes to show you how great of a season Wieters had last year, and how he stacks up to other MLB catchers defensively.

Yep, no doubt. There was an analysis in the off-season, I'll try to find it, that explained that Wieters defensive year behind the dish last season was among the best seasons of all time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=