• Please log in to reply
742 replies to this topic

#141 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

Preschool and Private school teachers get paid less than public school.

My mother taught in Private school when I was very young and was constantly working to get into public. She finally did in 1993, and got a significant bump in salary. 

It brings up an interesting debate about why private schools are considered to be so much better than public schools. Private schools can't come close to competing with the salary or benefits of public schools, so it's much harder to find new/better teachers in private schools. Much less qualified candidates in most cases throughout private schools.

That into consideration, are private schools considered better because of the success of the students that went there? Are those kids more successful because they have more resources, because the parents care more and are more involved, or because the exclusivity in enrollment means less disruptive and more focused learning environments?

Of course all of this is kind of generalized and there are variances all over, but with my kids in private school now, and growing up in public schools myself it's an interesting view of things.

Sorry, to derail the derailment of the thread.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#142 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

Students with better situations generally go to private school so I don't know that the schools or teachers have much to do with it. After all, there really isn't much economic mobility in this country.

#143 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

And WAAAAAAY more work and responsibility. Wifey works 60-70 hour weeks routinely.

Yea, I can believe that.

#144 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Private school teachers make less? I never would've guessed that. Very interesting.

#145 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

It brings up an interesting debate about why private schools are considered to be so much better than public schools. Private schools can't come close to competing with the salary or benefits of public schools, so it's much harder to find new/better teachers in private schools. Much less qualified candidates in most cases throughout private schools.

That into consideration, are private schools considered better because of the success of the students that went there? Are those kids more successful because they have more resources, because the parents care more and are more involved, or because the exclusivity in enrollment means less disruptive and more focused learning environments?

Of course all of this is kind of generalized and there are variances all over, but with my kids in private school now, and growing up in public schools myself it's an interesting view of things.

Sorry, to derail the derailment of the thread.

It's always been interesting to me as well. 

I wouldn't always assume that parents "care more" necessarily, but obviously having the resources to afford 12 years of private school helps a ton. 

My bosses 3 kids went to private school all 12 years, and dated people named Rockefeller and names like that..however, one ended up being a total fuck up, and the other two went on to great schools and careers. 

I was surprised at how surprised some people are when they learn that private school teachers don't make more money that public. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#146 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

You know what's not a grind. 

Handicapping and watching sports for a living. 

Sales is at times, but i like it. 

Yep..my job isn't a grind either.

#147 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Private school teachers make less? I never would've guessed that. Very interesting.

There you go. 

Significantly less, in fact. 

@beginthebegin71

#148 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Yep..my job isn't a grind either.

I do work 7 days a week (which sometimes is a grind), but it's not like I'm digging ditches. 

@beginthebegin71

#149 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Yeah WAY less. Public starts around $32-$42k ish and private starts closer to $20-$24k and doesn't move a ton higher where public can get up to 100k.

@JeremyMStrain

#150 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Yeah WAY less. Public starts around $32-$42k ish and private starts closer to $20-$24k and doesn't move a ton higher where public can get up to 100k.

With worse benefits as well. 

My Wife's benefits working for Baltimore County Public Schools is second to none. 

When she didn't work for 8 years while our kids were younger, healthcare cost me a FORTUNE! 

@beginthebegin71

#151 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Students with better situations generally go to private school so I don't know that the schools or teachers have much to do with it. After all, there really isn't much economic mobility in this country.

Yeah that's what I mean.

I made the same comparison just within MoCo a few years ago, where teachers try to flock to the Potomac and Olney areas for an easier ride, and some have to work out of like Wheaton or Silver Spring. It's why I'm so against teacher job security depending on student success, because those Potomac kids are going to do well no matter who they have, where the lower income kids who many can barely speak english are going to struggle.

@JeremyMStrain

#152 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

With worse benefits as well. 

My Wife's benefits working for Baltimore County Public Schools is second to none. 

When she didn't work for 8 years while our kids were younger, healthcare cost me a FORTUNE! 

I bet they are second to MCPS ;)

But yeah, totally agree. A friend of ours teaches at my daughters school, and he says just about his entire take home is gone after his 2 kids tuition there. It's awful.

@JeremyMStrain

#153 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Yeah that's what I mean.

I made the same comparison just within MoCo a few years ago, where teachers try to flock to the Potomac and Olney areas for an easier ride, and some have to work out of like Wheaton or Silver Spring. It's why I'm so against teacher job security depending on student success, because those Potomac kids are going to do well no matter who they have, where the lower income kids who many can barely speak english are going to struggle.

Great point. My Wife is at a great school in Baltimore County, and always has said that these kids are going to be successful regardless. 

My Mom teaches at a more challenging school, so to speak, and unfortunately there are many that won't succeed no matter what. You can only do the best you can!

@beginthebegin71

#154 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

I bet they are second to MCPS ;)

But yeah, totally agree. A friend of ours teaches at my daughters school, and he says just about his entire take home is gone after his 2 kids tuition there. It's awful.

Ha. Maybe, but considering where we were the years Jess wasn't working, I'll happily take what we have now! 

@beginthebegin71

#155 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

Yup. Private schools generally have big turnover in their staff. Get a lot of young, smart, hungry college grads and pay them peanuts for a few years before they move on. 

#156 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Yup. Private schools generally have big turnover in their staff. Get a lot of young, smart, hungry college grads and pay them peanuts for a few years before they move on. 

The problem we are having at our school is actually that none of the young college kids will work for peanuts cause the public schools will hire them fresh out of school.

Then we end up with much older teachers that have been around forever and sometimes they are kind of mailing it in by that point or you just need some fresh energy.
@JeremyMStrain

#157 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

The problem we are having at our school is actually that none of the young college kids will work for peanuts cause the public schools will hire them fresh out of school.

Then we end up with much older teachers that have been around forever and sometimes they are kind of mailing it in by that point or you just need some fresh energy.

Yea, I remember growing up, when I would go to my Mother's school, so many of the teachers were older. 

@beginthebegin71

#158 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

Granted, it's been some years but when I was in private school almost the entire staff was either 26 and under or 50 and older. Fresh out of college or lifers. There was literally 2 or 3 people on staff between 30-50. Again, the young ones rarely were there more than 2 years.

I also sense there has been a change in hiring philosophy by public schools. When I was in school, especially elementary school, all the teachers there were older. Maybe it was just my school but there was rarely anyone under 30. Now, school staffs are littered with 20 somethings.

#159 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

Weber, you probably told me and I forgot, but what grade(s) and subject are you teaching?

#160 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

Granted, it's been some years but when I was in private school almost the entire staff was either 26 and under or 50 and older. Fresh out of college or lifers. There was literally 2 or 3 people on staff between 30-50. Again, the young ones rarely were there more than 2 years.

I also sense there has been a change in hiring philosophy by public schools. When I was in school, especially elementary school, all the teachers there were older. Maybe it was just my school but there was rarely anyone under 30. Now, school staffs are littered with 20 somethings.

Yea, you're right. Now that I think of it, most of my elementary school teachers were older..

Nowadays, my wife, at 41, is a veteran at her school. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=