70 replies to this topic

#61 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 09:23 AM

Pretty bad when the ball stops rolling after 10 feet.

#62 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 March 2024 - 09:53 AM

The ladies beat Canada last night on penalties. Game was 2-2 after extra time but they prevailed in PKs 3-1. US keeper had some stops in PKs AND scored her PK.

Hats off to Alyssa Naeher!! On to the final Sunday against Brazil.

This game will forever be known and the Legend of Alyssa game. Stopping 3 is mind blowing. Scoring her own is just awesome (and funny she basically passed it in, cause that's how my own GK shoots hers too), but before all that she punched a girl in the face too. SUCH a great game for her.

@JeremyMStrain

#63 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 10:22 AM

This game will forever be known and the Legend of Alyssa game. Stopping 3 is mind blowing. Scoring her own is just awesome (and funny she basically passed it in, cause that's how my own GK shoots hers too), but before all that she punched a girl in the face too. SUCH a great game for her.

There's really no reason not to do that.  I really think players overthink PKs.  And I understand why with all the pressure.  But just pass it hard into the side netting.  Even if the keeper guesses right they're not going to save it.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#64 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 10:37 AM

There's really no reason not to do that.  I really think players overthink PKs.  And I understand why with all the pressure.  But just pass it hard into the side netting.  Even if the keeper guesses right they're not going to save it.

Yep, exactly what I taught her. She's not really a shooter, she CAN, but not accurate, but her passing she can put on a dime. I was like use THAT. You can pass pretty far, just put some oompf on it, and put it inside one of the posts. She fought me about it because she actually saves those all the time (she's short, but really fast left to right) but figured it out eventually. Helps she's a natural lefty too, makes it harder for the keeper to try to read where she's going. She's got a whole science to it at this point. Read the hips, read the feet, read the eyes. Every once in a while she runs into a girl that keeps things completely neutral until right before she strikes it, those she's just like yep, earned that one.

@JeremyMStrain

#65 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 March 2024 - 02:50 PM

It really depends on how hard the ball is struck. I stopped plenty of PKs that had side netting written all over them. Accuracy is for sure paramount. But don't think that keepers can't stop well placed shots. It happens all the time. There is only one spot that I think is truly unstoppable and that is upper 90. The problem with that is its very easy to miss.

BTW us keepers loved guys who tried upper 90 spots. LOL

Now IF you can strike the ball hard into the side netting you will be up at the head of the line to take PKs for sure.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 10:37 AM

CBS Sports: USWNT vs. Brazil, Concacaf W Gold Cup final preview: Three things to know as USA aim for continental glory

https://www.cbssport...tinental-glory/

#67 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:11 PM

It really depends on how hard the ball is struck. I stopped plenty of PKs that had side netting written all over them. Accuracy is for sure paramount. But don't think that keepers can't stop well placed shots. It happens all the time. There is only one spot that I think is truly unstoppable and that is upper 90. The problem with that is its very easy to miss.

BTW us keepers loved guys who tried upper 90 spots. LOL

Now IF you can strike the ball hard into the side netting you will be up at the head of the line to take PKs for sure.

Ha, had the same explanation but got there a different way when talking to a couple GK last week. You've got two styles of keepers these days. The taller, less agile ones that can cover ground to crossbar, but they can't get all the way to each post, so you end up with a strip ground to bar on each side they can't get to. Then you've got the shorter, quicker keepers that have a harder time with the foot or so under the bar, but can cover post to post pretty easy, so they cover ground to short of the bar all the way across, but both leave the upper corners open, which is why everyone tries to shoot there. But like you said, missing just increases the more you shoot up there, so take that shot all day, you make it, good on you, but you are going to miss a lot more than you make.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#68 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 March 2024 - 08:47 AM

432527061_786237196866784_25360415010978

#69 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 March 2024 - 08:49 AM

I think the ladies are back on top where they belong. Less drama. Less reliance on the old stars. Back to quality play across the field. Well done ladies. 

And wait until you see what the new coach does with them. They are set for a strong international run again!

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 09:15 AM

#71 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 10:17 AM

I think the ladies are back on top where they belong. Less drama. Less reliance on the old stars. Back to quality play across the field. Well done ladies. 

And wait until you see what the new coach does with them. They are set for a strong international run again!

Loved the new blood like Moultrie and Shaw shining. Really loved that there's some big time younger defenders showing up. The step this team was starting to lose they've gotten back with the infusion.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=