Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

Listening to Sgt. Pepper's right now.

This album is incredible, an all time great, and their 4th best.

LOL

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#62 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

This was also the case for The White Album
It's interesting Web brought this up. I texted this to some friends a while back:
"Interesting music topic: despite the Lennon/McCartney combo being heralded as the best song writing duo ever, you could argue their best stuff was written when they were at odds and didn't collaborate (abbey road, white album). Does this contribute to how underrated Harrison was (the one constant) or was it purely coincidental? Keep in mind both of their solo careers were nothing special."
"

Most of the time after they starting writing separately, even during the White Album when they were bickering, they still collaborated... offering tweaks to each other's songs, etc... so they still made each other better, even when they were at odds they still were subservient to the music... which I think they deserve way more credit for than they get... none of them ever showed off, nobody ever hotdogged... one thing they did better than anybody was make it all about the song, not about themselves...  

I think George Martin deserves a lot of credit for that, not only for the contributions he made, but also for being the grown-up in the room who could challenge them to be better... he wasn't their boss, but he was the closest thing they had to a boss, just due to their respect for him... he could always treat them like boys, and they let him...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,010 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

Yahoo: Hear Kurt Cobain’s Chilling, Unreleased Beatles Cover

https://www.yahoo.co...7017801581.html

• SammyBirdland and Mark Carver like this

#64 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

af4dByH.jpg

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#65 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

Listening to Sgt. Pepper's right now.

This album is incredible, an all time great, and their 4th best.

LOL

Try to imagine what music reality was like back then, up to about 5 minutes before that album came out.  

Then, imagine what it was like to put it on and hear it for the first time.

That album single-handedly caused more stunned silences, blank facial expressions, and the need to immediately sit down and hear it again, than anything else ever, before or since...

It was like the entire world said "WTF was *THAT*?" all at once...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#66 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

Figured Highway 61 Revisited would have done the trick there. Or even Bringing it all Back Home. At least lyrically those REALLY went against the grain.

@bopper33

#67 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

Figured Highway 61 Revisited would have done the trick there. Or even Bringing it all Back Home. At least lyrically those REALLY went against the grain.

Apples and oranges... those 2 Dylan albums were very big deals... but not in the same way that Sgt Pepper was... people were used to Dylan having his way with lyrics... they weren't used to him recording with a great band or being electric or having the B3 woven in...  those two albums included a whole slew of truly great songs... some of which are still unmatched...  one of which just might be the best song ever... so, people had lots to say about those albums, and deservedly so...

But Pepper was an entirely new kind of thing... it wasn't just a collection of songs... it was a... well... nobody knew what the hell it was... nobody knew what to say about it... nobody knew what to do except to just play it again... preferably with headphones on... it sounds today like it sounds today... but nobody was ready for how it sounded at the time... people were left speechless...

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#68 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

Apples and oranges... those 2 Dylan albums were very big deals... but not in the same way that Sgt Pepper was... people were used to Dylan having his way with lyrics... they weren't used to him recording with a great band or being electric or having the B3 woven in... those two albums included a whole slew of truly great songs... some of which are still unmatched... one of which just might be the best song ever... so, people had lots to say about those albums, and deservedly so...

But Pepper was an entirely new kind of thing... it wasn't just a collection of songs... it was a... well... nobody knew what the hell it was... nobody knew what to say about it... nobody knew what to do except to just play it again... preferably with headphones on... it sounds today like it sounds today... but nobody was ready for how it sounded at the time... people were left speechless...

On phone but owe you a "like."

One of my favorite things about The Beatles is the juxtaposition of Sgt. Pepper and The White Album. They release Sgt. Pepper, maybe the world's first concept album. And like you said, no one knew what the hell it was or what to make of it. Extremely colorful, the songs all running together, everything just fit.

Fast forward to The White Album, plain white cover with just the band's name on it. And 30 or so songs that were all individual, seemingly separate entities, completely unrelated. Two completely different albums. Two of the greatest albums ever made. And only one band in history could have ever pulled that off.

@bopper33

#69 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Keith Richards: The Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' Was 'Rubbish'

http://www.rollingst...ubbish-20150805

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

Good Lord, Keith...

He must still be embarrassed about how inferior Satanic Majesties was... it was the most blatant monkey-see-monkey-do copycat record they ever made... you'd think he'd be over it by now, but I guess not   ;-)

• Icterus galbula likes this

#71 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

Good Lord, Keith...

He must still be embarrassed about how inferior Satanic Majesties was... it was the most blatant monkey-see-monkey-do copycat record they ever made... you'd think he'd be over it by now, but I guess not ;-)

I thought they all wiped their hands with it and said that was all on Brian Jones.

#72 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

I thought they all just wiped their hands with it and said that was all on Brian Jones.

Blame it on the dead guy... it's an old strategy....

#73 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

I think She's a Rainbow is halfway decent, but otherwise agree. Some garbage songs on that record.

#74 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

The Rolling Stones suck.

#75 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hey look at that, o'le Keith and I got something in common.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#76 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

Hey look at that, o'le Keith and I got something in common.

HORGMFG.gif

• Coker and Markus like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#77 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:40 PM

The Rolling Stones suck.

I don't think they suck. But I think they're one of the most overrated bands of all time.

To me they're good, not great. Don't care about their longevity either.

#78 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

Someone called the most important album in music history "rubbish"

That same person has done more drugs than a hippie commune

Carry on.

@bopper33

#79 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

I don't think they suck. But I think they're one of the most overrated bands of all time.

To me they're good, not great. Don't care about their longevity either.

They gained stature when the Beatles broke up... until that happened, Mick sat at the Beatles' feet... literally...

#80 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

I like the Stones good enough. But I draw the line when they are put in the convo with The Beatles and Dylan.
  • Coker likes this

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=