You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Believe me, I've tried..

I've tried sober, I've tried stoned, I've tried drunk, I've tried in bed, I've tried in the car, I've tried alone with headphones, i've tried in Cleveland at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...etc

I just can't do it.

I hear ya man, I'm not here to judge. Totally understand that with a band like Pink Floyd.

#23 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

I hear ya man, I'm not here to judge. Totally understand that with a band like Pink Floyd.

All that being said, saying "Pink Floyd Sucks" would be dumb on my part.

#pinkfloydblows

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

If you think you do not like the Beatles you've got something wrong with you. Due to the fact they are so ingrained on the global popular consciousness some people are inclined to turn their backs and denounce their music as 'simplistic' or 'out of date'. I like all the challenging, esoteric trendy bands as much as the next hipster but how on earth can anyone put on, say, Abbey Road and say it is rubbish? I know I sound repulsively condescending and sanctimonous (quelle change) but if you don't like the Beatles you clearly haven't listened to them.

Don't let this scare you, but you're exactly right.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@DJ_McCann

#25 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

All that being said, saying "Pink Floyd Sucks" would be dumb on my part.

#pinkfloydblows

Have you listened to early Syd Barrett-era Floyd? 

Back on topic...holy fuck no. The Beatles are great. Early stuff is simplistic, don't think many people would even try to argue that one. But Revolver, Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road are the farthest (furthest?) thing from simplistic. Especially for the time period. 

#26 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Back on topic...holy fuck no. The Beatles are great. Early stuff is simplistic, don't think many people would even try to argue that one. But Revolver, Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road are the farthest (furthest?) thing from simplistic. Especially for the time period. 

Bingo. I get if someone doesn't like "I wanna hold your hand" or "when I saw her standing there," but the later albums are so highly regarded for a reason.

#27 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

I don't like Nirvana. I think they're poo.

Come on man, on the 20th anniversary of Cobain's death?

If you think you do not like the Beatles you've got something wrong with you. Due to the fact they are so ingrained on the global popular consciousness some people are inclined to turn their backs and denounce their music as 'simplistic' or 'out of date'. I like all the challenging, esoteric trendy bands as much as the next hipster but how on earth can anyone put on, say, Abbey Road and say it is rubbish? I know I sound repulsively condescending and sanctimonous (quelle change) but if you don't like the Beatles you clearly haven't listened to them.

This is what's wrong with Beatles fans.  They're the one band that seems insulated from dislike and criticism.  Being simplistic and out of date has nothing to do with my disdain for the Beatles.  Most of my musical tastes trend older, and plenty of simplistic music can be great.  I don't like their music because I don't think it's good.  It's not from lack of trying, I've listened to them extensively.  I don't like their sound and I don't like their lyrics, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Agreed here, is anyone going to dispute that? I don't think Zack or Dupin is denying their cultural impact, if they did that would be wrong. For whatever they just don't like their music. Unlike some others here, I can respect that even if I don't reach the same conclusion.

I wouldn't deny their cultural impact, but I still find that impact to be illogical.  Nothing they did merits the kind of zealotry that accompanies any attack on the quartet's sacredness.
  • Markus likes this

#28 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of Pink floyd, it's just not my thing. But I get it, i would never say they "suck".

To each his own.

I like a few Pink Floyd songs.  They're a weird band though, I wouldn't consider myself a fan.

Can we spin this thread off to "Good or bad music?"

Prolly should, considering this started with The Beatles AND U2 sucks, and then somehow Tool and Pink Floyd got into the mix.  There are plenty of crappy bands that have inserted themselves into the annals of pop culture, like Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, and Pearl Jam.

#29 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

Not disputing that at all. Just can't stand the music. I think it's mostly the extremely simplistic nature of the music for me. And, as a drummer myself, I can't listen to Ringo. He's one of the most basic, boring drummers I've ever listened to. Most high school percussionists could play everything that Ringo ever played. Also can't listen to any of them try to sing. Grates on my nerves.

Were they revolutionary? Of course. But I can't listen to music just because it is/was revolutionary. I have to actually enjoy it, and I can't enjoy any of the Beatles' music without earplugs in.

But I won't list my list of "classic" artists I can't stand. It might break the message board.

Honestly, Zack has summed up my own thoughts on The Fab 4 here very nicely in this post.

Cultural significance?
Musical impact?

Personally, meh, whatever. Again, long walk, short pier for Paul and Co.

That's the beauty of lots of aspects of life and the subjectivity of art; One thing I think stinks, lots of others can think is very, very nice. One thing I think is the bees knees, many many others can think stinks worse than a Dutch Oven.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#30 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

^ IMHO, those first couple of Floyd albums are barely tolerable. And I say that as someone who ranks Floyd in my all time Top-5. I'll happily put Meddle up against anything The freaking Beatles ever did.

#31 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Come on man, on the 20th anniversary of Cobain's death?  This is what's wrong with Beatles fans.  They're the one band that seems insulated from dislike and criticism.  Being simplistic and out of date has nothing to do with my disdain for the Beatles.  Most of my musical tastes trend older, and plenty of simplistic music can be great.  I don't like their music because I don't think it's good.  It's not from lack of trying, I've listened to them extensively.  I don't like their sound and I don't like their lyrics, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I wouldn't deny their cultural impact, but I still find that impact to be illogical.  Nothing they did merits the kind of zealotry that accompanies any attack on the quartet's sacredness.

Okay, maybe sums things up even better.

Inset slow applause gif here

#32 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

The Beatles were the Justin Bieber of 60's, I don't know how they became such a cultural phenomenon.  I can't think of a single Beatles song that's good.  Tool is vastly superior in every way.

There are maybe 3 U2 songs I like, but outside of that I'm not a fan of them.  The whole Bono being a pretentious douche thing doesn't help.

Where is the 'Unlike' button....

• BobPhelan likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#33 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

I'll give early Floyd another chance, but I don't see much hope. 

Oh, and I Love Fleetwood Mac.

@beginthebegin71

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I like a few Pink Floyd songs.  They're a weird band though, I wouldn't consider myself a fan.  Prolly should, considering this started with The Beatles AND U2 sucks, and then somehow Tool and Pink Floyd got into the mix.  There are plenty of crappy bands that have inserted themselves into the annals of pop culture, like Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, and Pearl Jam.

You'll excuse me if I don't take music recommendations from you...for the rest of my life.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Come on man, on the 20th anniversary of Cobain's death?  This is what's wrong with Beatles fans.  They're the one band that seems insulated from dislike and criticism.  Being simplistic and out of date has nothing to do with my disdain for the Beatles.  Most of my musical tastes trend older, and plenty of simplistic music can be great.  I don't like their music because I don't think it's good.  It's not from lack of trying, I've listened to them extensively.  I don't like their sound and I don't like their lyrics, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I wouldn't deny their cultural impact, but I still find that impact to be illogical.  Nothing they did merits the kind of zealotry that accompanies any attack on the quartet's sacredness.

Yea there's something wrong with that. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on something as subjective as art, but there is a reason the Beatles are so highly acclaimed. There's a reason the Godfather is almost universally loved. What you're suggesting is akin to calling Danielle Steele a better writer than Shakespeare -- you're entitled to think that, but people might think you're a looney tune.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

I like a few Pink Floyd songs.  They're a weird band though, I wouldn't consider myself a fan.  Prolly should, considering this started with The Beatles AND U2 sucks, and then somehow Tool and Pink Floyd got into the mix.  There are plenty of crappy bands that have inserted themselves into the annals of pop culture, like Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, and Pearl Jam.

You'll excuse me if I don't take music recommendations from you...for the rest of my life.

I'm in the anti Fleetwood Mac group. Just never got into them.

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Didn't know people existed that hated the Beatles. How Rude! (In my best Stephanie Tanner voice)
  • Markus likes this

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

Didn't know people existed that hated the Beatles. How Rude! (In my best Stephanie Tanner voice)

• BobPhelan and Markus like this
@DJ_McCann

#39 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

The Beatles have a lot of bubble gum pop songs (that I love), but they also have plenty of deep stuff.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#40 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=