98 replies to this topic

#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Streeter has a sprained foot..there's your reason for IR.

Just the right time for a Streeter "injury". :D

As far as kickers go I don't see the big deal with the money. Tucker is better now and most likely long term. If that's the case you're ultimately going to save money keeping him over Cundiff. Just admit you made a mistake handing Cundiff a relatively big contract and move on. Don't make another mistake because of your pride.

#42 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

The way I like to look at roster cuts is strictly by position battles and there are a few big ones right now. Here are just a few and who I think ultimately will make it.

Wide Receiver:
1. Anquan Boldin
2. Torrey Smith
3. Jacoby Jones
4. Tandon Doss
5. LaQuan Williams
6. Deonte Thompson

I ultimately believe the Ravens will do as they did with McAdoo last year with Streeter. Make this foot injury an IR issue. Keeps him in purple and black and gives him a shot at making it next year. He has shown some flashes and if they do not decide to go IR on this, Thompson is out and they will hope to PS him.

Runningback:

1. Ray Rice
2. Bernard Pierce
3. Bobby Rainey

This is probably a closer call than most believe. Rice and Pierce are obvious but I believe Rainey's playmaking ability is what seperates him. Everyone loves a playmaker and Rainey fits the mold.

Kicker:

1. Justin Tucker

I have really gone back and forth on this. It's tough because the last time the Ravens gambled on a strong legged kicker he ended up fizzling out (Haushka or however you spell it, apologies for the butchered spelling). I just really like this guy. He seems to have good accuracy along with that strong leg. Worth the gamble to ensure our kicking situation is taken care of for the future.

In addition to this I believe Curtis Painter earned a chance to stay on as the 3rd QB. He has played pretty well given his chances and I like what I see although it is against second and third team players. Nevertheless, he has earned it. I believe with the injuries occurring to the backups in the secondary, Omar Brown also makes the roster for at least the beginning of the year.

I also have a strong feeling about Albert McClellan. He has made a strong case to be starting and I honestly believe come week one he will start opposite Kruger. Why? Upshaw is still getting up to speed after his bruised shoulder. By the end of the year I'm sure he will be starting but I really like McClellan.

I still believe Cary Williams will retain his post opposite Webb at corner for at least the first game Vs. Cincy. He has a lot to prove at this point but Smith hasn't grasped his chance to take that job. Smith is the more talented corner but I believe when Williams gets into the swing of things (he did have offseason hip surgery) he will be back to himself and play as well as he did last year.

I know this is a long post but I am finally back to college and can post more now and I needed to get my thoughts out. Boy is it a great time to be a Baltimore fan. These Orioles continue to impress me (although I have been sold for a while) and the Ravens are looking every bit as dangerous as I believed they could be. Good to be back everyone!
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@Langley486

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

WNST: Sizing up the Ravens roster after the 3rd Preseason Game
http://wnst.net/balt...preseason-game/

#44 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

The way I like to look at roster cuts is strictly by position battles and there are a few big ones right now. Here are just a few and who I think ultimately will make it.

Wide Receiver:
1. Anquan Boldin
2. Torrey Smith
3. Jacoby Jones
4. Tandon Doss
5. LaQuan Williams
6. Deonte Thompson

I ultimately believe the Ravens will do as they did with McAdoo last year with Streeter. Make this foot injury an IR issue. Keeps him in purple and black and gives him a shot at making it next year. He has shown some flashes and if they do not decide to go IR on this, Thompson is out and they will hope to PS him.

Runningback:

1. Ray Rice
2. Bernard Pierce
3. Bobby Rainey

This is probably a closer call than most believe. Rice and Pierce are obvious but I believe Rainey's playmaking ability is what seperates him. Everyone loves a playmaker and Rainey fits the mold.

Kicker:

1. Justin Tucker

I have really gone back and forth on this. It's tough because the last time the Ravens gambled on a strong legged kicker he ended up fizzling out (Haushka or however you spell it, apologies for the butchered spelling). I just really like this guy. He seems to have good accuracy along with that strong leg. Worth the gamble to ensure our kicking situation is taken care of for the future.

In addition to this I believe Curtis Painter earned a chance to stay on as the 3rd QB. He has played pretty well given his chances and I like what I see although it is against second and third team players. Nevertheless, he has earned it. I believe with the injuries occurring to the backups in the secondary, Omar Brown also makes the roster for at least the beginning of the year.

I also have a strong feeling about Albert McClellan. He has made a strong case to be starting and I honestly believe come week one he will start opposite Kruger. Why? Upshaw is still getting up to speed after his bruised shoulder. By the end of the year I'm sure he will be starting but I really like McClellan.

I still believe Cary Williams will retain his post opposite Webb at corner for at least the first game Vs. Cincy. He has a lot to prove at this point but Smith hasn't grasped his chance to take that job. Smith is the more talented corner but I believe when Williams gets into the swing of things (he did have offseason hip surgery) he will be back to himself and play as well as he did last year.

I know this is a long post but I am finally back to college and can post more now and I needed to get my thoughts out. Boy is it a great time to be a Baltimore fan. These Orioles continue to impress me (although I have been sold for a while) and the Ravens are looking every bit as dangerous as I believed they could be. Good to be back everyone!

Solid post. I hope you do post more often.

#45 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

WNST: Sizing up the Ravens roster after the 3rd Preseason Game
http://wnst.net/balt...preseason-game/

A fair assessment, in my view. A guy that gets little mention, in this article and in most articles/blogs, is Christian Thompson. I'd love to find out more about this promising rookie.

#46 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

I agree with you Greg 100%! Thompson is a raw player from a small school but he has terrific upside. I can't wait to see him in a few years once Reed decides to hang it up.
@Langley486

#47 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that Billy Cundiff has been cut.

Saves money and shows the trust the Ravens have in Tucker. Here is the link.

http://www.baltimore... ... um=twitter
@Langley486

#48 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Tucker in 2 weeks vs. Cincinnati.

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that Billy Cundiff has been cut.

Saves money and shows the trust the Ravens have in Tucker. Here is the link.

http://www.baltimore... ... um=twitter

Good for Billy and the team IMO. It would have gotten ugly, if he missed a game on the line kick this year.
@mikeghg

#50 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Good for Billy and the team IMO. It would have gotten ugly, if he missed a game on the line kick this year.

It was time for this to happen. It is not about the missed kick. He had a poor season and that's how he was until the 2010 season. He is a good guy and I respect him taking accountability for the miss but we could have a special kicker in Tucker. He earned that job plain and simple.
@Langley486

#51 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ravens cuts Cecil Newton, CB Jordan Maybin, LS Patrick Scales, QB Chester Stewart, WR Patrick Williams

Ravens also cut Billy Cundiff, TE Davon Drew, WR Devin Goda, OL Addison Lawrence

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

The Ravens were pure class with Cundiff following the AFCCG last year, and up till his release. I'm proud of the way they handled this, first class as always. But Tucker flat out beat him. I wish Cundiff well with another NFC team.

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ravens cuts Cecil Newton, CB Jordan Maybin, LS Patrick Scales, QB Chester Stewart, WR Patrick Williams

Ravens also cut Billy Cundiff, TE Davon Drew, WR Devin Goda, OL Addison Lawrence

No real surprises. Drew could not get off the line of scrimmage in the little time he played.
@mikeghg

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

The Ravens were pure class with Cundiff following the AFCCG last year, and up till his release. I'm proud of the way they handled this, first class as always. But Tucker flat out beat him. I wish Cundiff well with another NFC team.

Agreed, and in addition cutting him now gives him time to latch on to another team.

Good Luck to Billy. Seemed like a good guy. Too many factors against him here IMO.
@mikeghg

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

I like the way the roster is shaping up.

I still feel they bring in a vet DL and perhaps a vet safety after cuts are made.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

PressBox: Predicting the 53 Man Roster
http://www.pressboxo...log.cfm?id=5160

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

PressBox: Predicting the 53 Man Roster
http://www.pressboxo...log.cfm?id=5160

I agree with most of this. Noteably, Painter,Allen, and Kindle are cut.

Despite making a few recoverys in preseason I don't think Omar Brown makes it. I think it's Chaike Brown instead. Also question whether we keep 10 OLman. I do agree that WR Thompson makes the team.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

I think Kindle is in danger if they sign a few guys who were cut. If not, I think he makes it.

Note: I'm not saying he deserves to make it.

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

It's ashame Kindle hasn't stepped up at all. Given that character evaluation if a big part of the draft process, this is a pretty big miss for the Ravens. I guess they're allowed one every now and then.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

It's ashame Kindle hasn't stepped up at all. Given that character evaluation if a big part of the draft process, this is a pretty big miss for the Ravens. I guess they're allowed one every now and then.

Its not as big a miss as people want to say.

First of all, the Ravens didn't know he was going to fall down the steps and fracture his skull.

Secondly, he was a mid second round pick...not a first rounder. They took a chance on a top 20 talent that they got much later in the draft.

Nothing wrong with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=