#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Has anyone watched this week? I've always been a big fan, but the Late Night show was just too late for me. I've been watching this week, and it's been incredible.

I saw that last night's episode was the highest rated in over 10 years. 

Needless to say, I think Fallon is here to stay.

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Been meaning to catch it but I can't seem to stay awake that late anymore and I'm also not interested enough to record it. Glad it's doing well though.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Been meaning to watch. Never really watched his late so much, or any for that matter, but I know a lot of people like him.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Has anyone watched this week? I've always been a big fan, but the Late Night show was just too late for me. I've been watching this week, and it's been incredible.

I saw that last night's episode was the highest rated in over 10 years. 

Needless to say, I think Fallon is here to stay.

Didn't see last night, but watched the first two. I'm neutral on him, probably more for him than against. Liked the bet bit with all the cameos and Jerry Seinfeld.

@levineps

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Didn't see last night, but watched the first two. I'm neutral on him, probably more for him than against. Liked the bet bit with all the cameos and Jerry Seinfeld.

Colbert is awesome.

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Jimmy is fantastic. He brings that element of sketch comedy, which for me is a lot better than the Late Night hosts who are more based in stand up comedy. The musical stuff he does is always hilarious, his ability to impersonate singers is uncanny. Everything I've seen so far has been great. I think he's going to have an awesome run.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@AdamWolff

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'll say this, I was in my teens and 20's with Conan having that 12:30 spot. I thought he was pretty good, but overrated by a lot around my age. I thought a lot of the stuff he did, his type of humor, would not translate to the 11:30 time slot.

I really do feel like Fallon has much better appeal to the typical 11:30 crowd. He'll make this work and it wouldn't surprise me at all if our grandchildren are watching him in 25 years.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

BTW....I would have guessed Fallon was younger than 39. I had him more in his mid 30's

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Stern was talking about him today and mentioning how Fallon is trying to appeal to more of a younger generation.

He's a funny guy...I never watch any of these shows but it seems like there is a good crop of guys out there.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Stern was talking about him today and mentioning how Fallon is trying to appeal to more of a younger generation.

He's a funny guy...I never watch any of these shows but it seems like there is a good crop of guys out there.

Well, that's what he should be doing. Those are the people that ideally will be going to bed with him the next 25-30 years. get em now and grow old with them.

The key is getting through enough in the immediate future with the older crowd. Unlike Conan, I think he can do that.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

He really can appeal to a lot of people... I mean, his musical skits are just epic... it's younger, hip type music... but he is so damn funny when he's doing it that it'd be impossible not to laugh and enjoy it.

I think the thing I like the most about him is how he just doesn't take himself too seriously at all. He's constantly laughing at himself.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Well, that's what he should be doing. Those are the people that ideally will be going to bed with him the next 25-30 years. get em now and grow old with them.

The key is getting through enough in the immediate future with the older crowd. Unlike Conan, I think he can do that.

Yep...Kimmel is doing the same thing apparently...according to Stern.

The thing that Stern said that I heard today is that he thinks Letterman gets the biggest boost from Leno retiring because a lot of his fans will relate more to Dave than the 2 Jimmy's.

#14 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

He really can appeal to a lot of people... I mean, his musical skits are just epic... it's younger, hip type music... but he is so damn funny when he's doing it that it'd be impossible not to laugh and enjoy it.

I think the thing I like the most about him is how he just doesn't take himself too seriously at all. He's constantly laughing at himself.

I thought the point of moving Fallon to the prime slot was that he'll get more viewers by the skits he puts online.  That's where I catch his stuff.  I'm not sure how the demographics break down, but I thought younger people watch The Daily Show/Colbert more than the other ones.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

BTW....I would have guessed Fallon was younger than 39. I had him more in his mid 30's

Well he started on SNL in 1998, so he was 24 when he was there.

@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Networks/advertisers care more about the 18-49 demographic than anything else, younger people are more likely to buy stuff. ABC wanted Letterman in the mid-2000s despite the fact that Nightline was doing better ratings wise at the time, that was their reason.

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Yep...Kimmel is doing the same thing apparently...according to Stern.

The thing that Stern said that I heard today is that he thinks Letterman gets the biggest boost from Leno retiring because a lot of his fans will relate more to Dave than the 2 Jimmy's.

Not sure, I think people are more "Leno" or "Letterman" types. It will be interesting to see the ratings after a few weeks when the Fallon honeymoon is over.

@levineps

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Springfield are hip, but obviously younger wouldn't be a word I'd use in that sentence.

The charades bit he does is good.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Will Ferrell's Olympic skating routine on the Fallon Show right now... freakin' epic. So great.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Arcade Fire coming up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors