#61 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

The only problem I have with Fallon is the interviews. They're atrocious. He talks over every single guest and laughs at everything they say with that fake laugh. That's the only reason I prefer guys like Conan and Kimmel.

@BSLZackKiesel

#62 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

I think Kimmel is the best interviewer.

I like Conan a lot, but sometimes he just gets a touch too goofy for me. 

@AdamWolff

#63 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Being a good interviewer is the hardest thing these guys... it's not in their show-biz background... so, it just takes a while... that's to be expected... Fallon can seemingly do whatever he wants to do, so I bet he gets way better at it over time...

The only guy who was good at it right out of the box was Dick Cavett, and he had the best talk show ever... but that was 100 years ago... one of the main things Cavett did was (a) ask good, open-ended questions, and then (b ) just let people talk... (a talk show... let people talk... who woulda thunk it?)

When Letterman started, he was absolutely terrible, but over time he got to the point where he can do a great job if he wants to... one thing he does well is that he uses sharing his own personal subjective reactions to things to invite the guest to do the same... but he only tries to do a great interview once in a while... which makes sense given slate of guests that are normal for his show...

Craig Ferguson was wonderful at it, once he found his unique groove for doing it... using his shrink-pipe and other tricks...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

Fallon will learn more and more.

He puts on a show now...he will learn how to interview.

I don't think interviewing is overly difficult...the great ones have something in common...they study who they bring on.

The best interviewers in the business, imo, are Howard Stern and James Lipton and they seem to always know everything about their guests and know how to set up a great interview with them.

Fallon will learn that and it wouldn't surprise me if Stern helped him..although Howard is so close with Kimmel.

Letterman could as well..once he retires.

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

Kimmel is the best late night interview.

#66 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

We can all agree Letterman sucks, right? Did they sign him to a 40 year contract or something? He cant ever have been tops in the ratings, and hes never been funny in my 20 or so years of catching late night television.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#67 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

We can all agree Letterman sucks, right? Did they sign him to a 40 year contract or something? He cant ever have been tops in the ratings, and hes never been funny in my 20 or so years of catching late night television.

Wow, totally forgot that show still exists.
  • Mike in STL likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#68 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

Wow, totally forgot that show still exists.

Exactly.
@BSLMikeRandall

#69 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

I think he's been ahead a couple times over the years, but he was generally beaten by Leno (and often quite soundly). I've found him funny, though.

He's leaving this year.

@DJ_McCann

#70 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

I think he's been ahead a couple times over the years, but he was generally beaten by Leno (and often quite soundly). I've found him funny, though.

He's leaving this year.

I know and its about time. Although im no Colbert fan either. But mainly because im not into politics. Though I understand he wont be bringing that schitck to the Late Show.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=