Photo

Worst choke job in sports history (single game)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

No they are two separate things, if the Jaguars route the Ravens in Baltimore, it's not a choke job. It's a big upset.

No, its a choke job that caused the upset.

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

No, its a choke job that caused the upset.

You're just wrong.

From Urban Dictionary:

When you completely melt down and blow a game or match that you were about to win. This can also mean when one player or team is dominating a competition until the play poorly to let the opponent back in the game.

@levineps

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

I usually consider blowing a comfortable lead more of a choke job. As for an inferior team beating a better one, I mostly call that an upset....but depending on how things unfold I guess you could call it a choke too. I mentioned the two heavyweight title fights earlier. In both instances the champion was the heavy favorite and should have won, but in both instances he just flat out took the challenger way too lightly and did not prepare....so to me that's more of a choke.

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

I usually consider blowing a comfortable lead more of a choke job. As for an inferior team beating a better one, I mostly call that an upset....but depending on how things unfold I guess you could call it a choke too. I mentioned the two heavyweight title fights earlier. In both instances the champion was the heavy favorite and should have won, but in both instances he just flat out took the challenger way too lightly and did not prepare....so to me that's more of a choke.

I think it can be a "choke job" but it's not necessarily a choke job. Going with the Ravens/Jags example, the Ravens have a 21-7 lead with 7 minutes left and lose, that fits that more than if they were playing the Broncos and lost IMO.

I think it's a bit different in individual sports also. I don't care or know enough about boxing to talk intelligently here so I'll refrain.

@levineps

#45 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

LOL.

I don't know what to tell you. If one side can play their C game and beat their opposition playing their A+ game and they still fail to win because they bring their F game that is a choke job.

What, you can't choke before a game starts or at the beginning of a game. You have to be a certain way in for us to qualify a team as choking.

Get out of here with this stuff. You've never seen a team come out of the gates not looking the same, looking tight, etc. They're freaking choking from the outset, before the game even starts.

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

The thing about the Sox- Mets is that the two deciding moments back to back were clearly on the Sox. Most of the time when we call a choke job it's often the other team also doing their job, or at least something, that gets them over the hump.
Now, granted, the Mets got 3 hits in a row but the tying and winning runs were totally and completely on the Sox.

That's a big point.

In my mind, the Bills aren't chokers because they lost four consecutive Super Bowls. In the last two, they were clearly the inferior team (and who knows what was up with the one against Washington). But Scott Norwood choked when he went wide-right against the Giants.
What do you mean who knows with the game against Washington? That Skins team was historically great.
  • Oriole85 and Don Quixote like this

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

What do you mean who knows with the game against Washington? That Skins team was historically great.

In Redskins history?

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

In Redskins history?

I think that team set an NFL record (that has since been broken) for points scored in a season.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Weber you're a bigger Skins fan than I am so you know more here, apparently the Skins were a 7 point favorite against the Bills.

@levineps

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

In Redskins history?
In NFL history. That was a dominant team. They are easily forgotten or minimized though because they weren't superstar driven and it was just that one year of greatness.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

I don't want to derail the thread here, but just to back up what I said. That Skins team lost in their 12th game to the Cowboys by 3, otherwise they only lost their last game of the season, which they didn't really care about. They averaged 30.3 pts/game (1st) and gave up 14 (2nd). They won their 3 playoff games by a combined score of 102-41 and that's with giving up 2 late TD's in the Bills game to make that game look way closer than it was (led 24-0, and 37-10, but final was 37-24).

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

I don't want to derail the thread here, but just to back up what I said. That Skins team lost in their 12th game to the Cowboys be 3, otherwise they only lost their last game of the season, which they didn't really care about. They averaged 30.3 pts/game (1st) and gave up 14 (2nd). They won their 3 playoff games by a combined score of 102-41 and that's with giving up 2 late TD's in the Bills game to make that game look way closer than it was (led 24-0, and 37-10, but final was 37-24).

Yea, they were really good.  Who are you trying to convince?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

Yea, they were really good.  Who are you trying to convince?

I think me... I was pulling his leg earlier when he said they were historically good, and I asked if he meant that in terms of Redskins history.

#54 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

In NFL history. That was a dominant team. They are easily forgotten or minimized though because they weren't superstar driven and it was just that one year of greatness.

Which is exactly what I was thinking. No issue with being wrong; in fact, that just makes my point further.

@DJ_McCann

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Which is exactly what I was thinking. No issue with being wrong; in fact, that just makes my point further.

Indeed it does.

#56 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

Bump.

Falcons/Pats?

#57 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Bump.

Falcons/Pats?

Has to be. For a single play, Seattle/NE too for that boneheaded decision to pass on first and goal. Wisconsin choking away the title to Duke is up there too.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:07 PM

Btw...I don’t think most people actually know what choking really is.

It’s a term easily thrown around but often, used incorrectly.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:18 PM

Been thinking about golf a lot lately so....

Norman at the Masters
Van de Velde at the British
Mickelson at the US Open

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Van de Velde was a huge choke job

0 user(s) are reading this topic