2161 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

If they cut him, its strictly for off-the-field reasons stemming from this incident. The cap implications are so harmful, that they won't do it unless they've got no choice.

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Too big of a cap hit and despite his poor '13 he's still likely has some juice left in the legs.

Unless they look at this as bigger than money.

#43 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Per Hensley.......

Rice's attorney Andrew Alperstein told The Sun that Rice was charged and released in what he described as a "very minor physical altercation." Rice's fiancée was also charged and released in connection with the incident, according to the lawyer.

Doesn't sounds as serious as was mentioned in this thread!

http://espn.go.com/b...altimore-ravens
Roll Tide

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Per Hensley.......

Rice's attorney Andrew Alperstein told The Sun that Rice was charged and released in what he described as a "very minor physical altercation." Rice's fiancée was also charged and released in connection with the incident, according to the lawyer.

Doesn't sounds as serious as was mentioned in this thread!

http://espn.go.com/b...altimore-ravens

Obviously the attorney is gonna downplay the incident. Maybe the facts will come out as this being much less severe than initial reports, I certainly hope so, but the word of the attorney shouldn't count for anything.

#45 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Well I hope so too! The cap hit would really hurt the team.
Roll Tide

#46 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Your sources WRONG again, @howardeskin! Atlantic City police confirm no injuries in Rice case, simple assault charges http://

#47 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

The team would look to terminate his contract based on the standard player conduct cause. The same cause the Pats are using to void some of Hernandez's guaranteed money.

We'll see how this shakes out.
  • jasterps likes this
@Miller192

#48 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Can law enforcement move forward with the case if his fiance drops the charges?  I'm not really up on all the nuances of the criminal justice process.

#49 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Can law enforcement move forward with the case if his fiance drops the charges?  I'm not really up on all the nuances of the criminal justice process.

Yes. Looks like a small altercation though.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Even if the Ravens could get out of the contract on a player conduct clause there is still cap implications correct??

The only way I see the Ravens releasing him is if they just decide to cut their losses so to speak and they feel he has nothing left. As Mack said, the penalty is too severe otherwise.

#51 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Baltimore Sun has the official police report from AC PD. As Rice's attorney mentioned, seems like it is a minor domestic disturbance between Rice and his fiancé.

That being said, he put his hands on a woman and that is 100% unacceptable and he needs to face up to his actions (and not like Chris Brown did).
@brobey1

#52 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Even if the Ravens could get out of the contract on a player conduct clause there is still cap implications correct??

The only way I see the Ravens releasing him is if they just decide to cut their losses so to speak and they feel he has nothing left. As Mack said, the penalty is too severe otherwise.

I believe there still are cap implications.

Baltimore Sun has the official police report from AC PD. As Rice's attorney mentioned, seems like it is a minor domestic disturbance between Rice and his fiancé.

That being said, he put his hands on a woman and that is 100% unacceptable and he needs to face up to his actions (and not like Chris Brown did).

If Deadspin's article is correct, going off of their tipster, it doesn't seem like it was a minor thing.  They're saying she spit on him and he knocked her out.  Definitely not a valid excuse to do anything like that.

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,671 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Horrible news. Rice was until now, one of the most likable Ravens players, if not THE most likable.

There is nothing short of the threat of death that justifies hitting a woman. 

It may come out that they are both guilty, but this is definitely a blemish on Rice's record and could cost him.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#54 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

BSL: Ray Rice's future in jeopardy?

http://baltimorespor...uture-jeopardy/

@BSLMikeRandall

#55 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I have a Ray Rice jersey for sale. $20. Anybody???

Wow, that price uppercuts the competition.

• ChaosLex likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#56 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,622 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Obviously need to wait for the details, but it will be hard to cheer for him if he knocked out a female.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#57 KevinVanValkenburg ‏

KevinVanValkenburg ‏
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Something changed about him the last couple years. I know it seems unfair to say that now, never having brought it up before, but I definitely sensed it in recent (albeit brief) interactions with him. I really did believe -- once upon a time -- he was one of the good ones. I was pretty vocal too (in print anyway) about how I believed they should give him a contract extension, not just for his play but also because he was one of the few athletes who seemed to grasp that he was repping the whole organization every time he went out in public. A classic sportswriter folly, I guess. Will be interesting to see what the video shows. If he did uppercut his fiancee, and the tape comes out (either through a leak or a trial) his reputation will never, ever recover. 

#58 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

If he did uppercut his fiancee, and the tape comes out (either through a leak or a trial) his reputation will never, ever recover. 

It'll be hard to root for the guy, but as we all know, if Ray Lewis can rebuild his reputation then anyone can. Of course, this very well could be the end of Ray Rice as an effective player, where as Ray Lewis had just reached his prime and had many great years ahead of him to help reshape his image. Ray Rice may not have that opportunity.

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

It'll be hard to root for the guy, but as we all know, if Ray Lewis can rebuild his reputation then anyone can. Of course, this very well could be the end of Ray Rice as an effective player, where as Ray Lewis had just reached his prime and had many great years ahead of him to help reshape his image. Ray Rice may not have that opportunity.

The wheels were already becoming undone on Rice's careers it appears and we all know how well RBs work out on the wrong side of 30 (and even earlier).

@levineps

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

I think back to how Hank Scorpio(poster at OH) said he treated him and his family so well through some really tough times.

We obviously heard other stories as well about how good of a guy Ray was.

Sad really. My sense is that he's not a guy that was putting on a PR act. For whatever reason, some darkness has crept into his life.

Here is hoping he can find a way back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=