Photo

Hastily Thrown Together Top 10 Albums of the 70s list...

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

A few thoughts from mostly a pop fan.

I love 70s music. Agree it's the best. I can actually listen to such a wide range of 70s music. Not even close with other decades. I could probably but together a top 10 list and not be laughed at by you music snobs.

Shocked none of you had a Bowie album listed.

#22 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

No love for Highway to Hell?  You could make the argument that's the best AC/DC album, it's a close race with Back in Black in my book.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

No love for Highway to Hell?  You could make the argument that's the best AC/DC album, it's a close race with Back in Black in my book.

I dig what AC/DC is all about, but in terms of musical accomplishment they aren't quite up to snuff.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I know this is all subjective and all but there are some Floyd albums I'd put in there over DSOTM.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#25 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

I dig what AC/DC is all about, but in terms of musical accomplishment they aren't quite up to snuff.

I get what you're saying, they're not exactly refined.

I will say that I think having one of the top 5 best selling albums of all time is quite an accomplishment though.  But that came out in 1980.

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

I get what you're saying, they're not exactly refined.

I will say that I think having one of the top 5 best selling albums of all time is quite an accomplishment though.  But that came out in 1980.

Sure, it's an accomplishment.  Not that the general public can often be relied on to determine what's "good" or not, but "Back in Black" is a solid record when the mood is right. 

@bopper33

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

I know this is all subjective and all but there are some Floyd albums I'd put in there over DSOTM.

Yea, Floyd snobs love to tell you how wrong you are when you list "Dark Side" as their best record.

But, I mean, come on.  Listen to the thing.  Unless you're completely immersed in the avant-garde (i.e. you think "Revolution 9" is a masterpiece) I just don't see it.

@bopper33

#28 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yea, Floyd snobs love to tell you how wrong you are when you list "Dark Side" as their best record.

But, I mean, come on.  Listen to the thing.  Unless you're completely immersed in the avant-garde (i.e. you think "Revolution 9" is a masterpiece) I just don't see it.

I'm flattered to be lumped in as Floyd snob.  I just think DSOTM tails off a little bit towards the end, where as Meddle and WYWH are solid from start to finish.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I'm flattered to be lumped in as Floyd snob.  I just think DSOTM tails off a little bit towards the end, where as Meddle and WYWH are solid from start to finish.

Wow, we are on complete opposite ends here.  The stretch from "Us and Them" to the end of the album is about as good as music gets in my opinion.

@bopper33

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Not denying the validity of your list, Pedro, I'm just a huge music snob. Can't stand Bruce, Dylan, or Neil Young. Just can't listen to people who can't sing (in my opinion). Love instrumental versions of Bruce's stuff, but can't listen to him sing. In fact, one of the only people I can listen to whose voice annoys me is Geddy Lee, simply because Rush is so incredible instrumentally.

That being said, I'd stick "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" much higher, simply because I'm a massive Elton fan. And naturally, as a musician (percussion/drums), I love me some Neil Peart. There's so many great Rush albums from the 70s all the way to today, but I love 2112. Some of the greatest stuff I've ever listened to. So my list would naturally be much different from yours, simply because of my sometimes odd musical taste. And, similar to my Elton taste, I love me some Billy Joel. His best 70's album is probably The Stranger, it's full of hits.

• Adam Wolff and SBTarheel like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#31 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Not denying the validity of your list, Pedro, I'm just a huge music snob. Can't stand Bruce, Dylan, or Neil Young. Just can't listen to people who can't sing (in my opinion). Love instrumental versions of Bruce's stuff, but can't listen to him sing. In fact, one of the only people I can listen to whose voice annoys me is Geddy Lee, simply because Rush is so incredible instrumentally.

That being said, I'd stick "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" much higher, simply because I'm a massive Elton fan. And naturally, as a musician (percussion/drums), I love me some Neil Peart. There's so many great Rush albums from the 70s all the way to today, but I love 2112. Some of the greatest stuff I've ever listened to. So my list would naturally be much different from yours, simply because of my sometimes odd musical taste. And, similar to my Elton taste, I love me some Billy Joel. His best 70's album is probably The Stranger, it's full of hits.

I'm a huge Elton John guy as well, and while I like Billy Joel, he really hit the wall after 1982 or so..

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@beginthebegin71

#32 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm a huge Elton John guy as well, and while I like Billy Joel, he really hit the wall after 1982 or so..

What do you think of Elton's new album? I think it's some of his best stuff ever. Really awesome.

• tennOsfan likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Definitely a huge Elton guy and loved Goodbye Yellowbrick Road... I can kill it on the piano... but not even close to Sir Elton, dude's amazing.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#34 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

What do you think of Elton's new album? I think it's some of his best stuff ever. Really awesome.

It's Fantastic, I'm with you. 

He really hasn't made a bad album, unlike Billy Joel. Granted, his 70s stuff DESTROYS his 80s and beyond, but he'd still be a Hall Of Famer if "Empty Garden" was his first single in 1981, and the 70s stuff didn't exist. 

@beginthebegin71

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

You're not a music snob, you're just severely  misguided.

• RShack likes this

@bopper33

#36 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I decided to try and do this..went through the list of all the 70's albums on my computer and LOL'd because I know I'd never get through them all. 

Albums I would absolutely 100% include:

Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage or Apostrophe. Or both.

and then I'd debate between Pink Floyd, The Who, The Clash, Rolling Stones, James Taylor, David Bowie, Zeppelin, Velvet Underground, Nick Drake, Alice Cooper, Genesis, Neil Young, Tom Waits.

It's impossible. That only covers up to '74. 

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

Listening to "Rumours" this morning.  Absolute perfection.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

I realize it probably looks like a kiss ass but I love when you bump these threads. It reminds me of some great listening. Brings me out of a musical funk.

#39 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

"Every Picture Tells a Story" needs to be on here

@bopper33

#40 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

"Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd"

Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, Freebird, all in a debut album.

Mississippi Kid is a great song, too.

• MKlein76 and tennOsfan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=