Photo

What are your favorite travel destinations?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#121 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Just got back yesteday from my trip over various spots in Europe. I'm glad to have gotten to have the chance to go to places that I had never been before, but wasn't so familiar with. My brother is in Peace Corps in Macedonia, so it was great being able to spend time with my whole family as well.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@levineps

#122 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Leaving for Bogota, Colombia in about a half hour. The UD symphony is going on tour there for a little under a week. A lot of our time will consist of performances and rehearsals but we are gonna get to see some hip neighborhoods in Bogota, go to a gold museum and take a cable car ride to a village up in the mountains. Also one of our performances will be in an underground salt mine that was converted into a cathedral. It should be a good time!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#123 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Just got back yesteday from my trip over various spots in Europe.

How did you like Budapest?

#124 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

How did you like Budapest?

Really enjoyed it. I loved the Hero's Square concept. The Parliament Building is an amazing structure. The "Shoes Memorial"(not sure what it's exactly called) was very moving. The hotel I stayed was great and had the best inclusive hotel breakfast I've ever had. I had this idea that it was going be less sophisticated than it really was. It greatly exceeded my expectations.

@levineps

#125 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Awesome, glad you liked it. 

It greatly exceeded my expectations.

I felt very similarly.

#126 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Leaving for Bogota, Colombia in about a half hour. The UD symphony is going on tour there for a little under a week. A lot of our time will consist of performances and rehearsals but we are gonna get to see some hip neighborhoods in Bogota, go to a gold museum and take a cable car ride to a village up in the mountains. Also one of our performances will be in an underground salt mine that was converted into a cathedral. It should be a good time!

I was recently reading about the salt mine cathedral. Sounds like a very cool experience. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#127 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Really enjoyed it. I loved the Hero's Square concept. The Parliament Building is an amazing structure. The "Shoes Memorial"(not sure what it's exactly called) was very moving. The hotel I stayed was great and had the best inclusive hotel breakfast I've ever had. I had this idea that it was going be less sophisticated than it really was. It greatly exceeded my expectations.

Did you make it to the labyrinth? 

I missed out on the shoe memorial. I wish I would have seen that while I was there.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#128 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Also, leaving for Edinburgh and London tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

#129 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Anyone ever been to Istanbul...or anywhere in Turkey?

We stopped in Kusadasi for a day on a cruise years ago but my wife and I are thinking of going to Istanbul and the Cappadocia region next spring. Turkey is dirt cheap right now...airfare to fly there, which is further than say London or Paris is significantly cheaper.

#130 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

We stopped in Kusadasi for a day on a cruise years ago but my wife and I are thinking of going to Istanbul and the Cappadocia region next spring. Turkey is dirt cheap right now...airfare to fly there, which is further than say London or Paris is significantly cheaper.

That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

@DJ_McCann

#131 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I've been to the Turkish part of Cyprus.  That count?  Also, I've got an uncle who's Turkish, so my cousins and them have been to Turkey a bunch of times. 

#132 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

Well played, sir.

Also, I went to Belgium and France with my girlfriend in August. Ghent and Bruges are simply amazing. We also rented a car and traveled the countryside in Flanders. Got to go to Abbey St. Sixtus and drink Westvleteren (and then we went back the next day. Amazing place. The beer nerds in the thread know what I'm sayin'). I also really enjoyed Paris. I had pretty low expectations, for some reason, but I thought the place was totally cool. I speak a little French and it certainly made everything easier. 

In the spirit of the thread, my favorite places I've been...

-Budapest. Budapest. Budapest. Lived there for a semester, so my opinion is totally biased.

-Prague. It didn't feel as unspoiled as Budapest but it's a beautiful city with an incredible energy

-Romania. I don't recommend Bucharest, which is a scary place. But Brasov and Cluj-Napoca were so cool and the landscapes in the country are breathtaking

-Oktoberfest, in Munich. Greatest party on earth.

#133 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Did Budapest, Vienna and Prague in one week over Thanksgiving a few years ago. Great trip and I agree about Budapest....unspoiled and Hungary is not on the Euro so it's cheap. I really want to go back to Europe over Christmas and go to some more Christmas markets. The one in Vienna was awesome. We need that here.

Need to go to Oktoberfest in Munich. I have a friend from Germany...so we'll hook something up in the future.

The trip to Istanbul is expanding to Cappadochia (crazy cool part of central Turkey) and Santorini, Greece.

#134 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

HOF

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

eed to go to Oktoberfest in Munich. I have a friend from Germany...so we'll hook something up in the future.

The trip to Istanbul is expanding to Cappadochia (crazy cool part of central Turkey) and Santorini, Greece.

You must go to Oktoberfest. Must.

The Turkey trip sounds great. Istanbul is high on my list.

#135 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

With all the travel talk... Bump!

@levineps

#136 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Been looking into a South America trip of some sort for next year. Pretty intimidating. It's so big and there are so many places to see. Impossible to much of anything in one shot. I am thinking Peru is a good place to start -- Lima, Cusco, and Machu Picchu, but I really want to visit Argentina -- see Buenos Aires and then Mendoza/wine region. Problem is that it's far between the two and flights down there are expensive.

#137 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

This is the busiest travel spring/summer of my life:

-Tampa/Sarasota

-Miami/Florida Keys

-Ocean City (three times)

-Charleston, SC

-Seattle

-Los Angeles

-Chicago

-Las Vegas

Also going BACK to Tampa and Gainesville in October and State College, PA and Ann Arbor, MI in November.

Dipping a tad too much into my savings for my liking to do all this, but I'm only young once and that's what tax returns are for :-)

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#138 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

A few weeks ago Frontier had a deal to celebrate their new DC/Cancun route. RT airfare for $213 pp. Granted they nickle and dime you for seat selection and luggage but overall we spent about $460 to get to Cancun which is CHEAP. By comparison we spent $1400 to fly to Cozumel during spring break. 

And thankfully, it worked out perfectly -- we're going the week between the championship games and the Super Bowl.

And along similar lines for deals, KAYAK and Travelzoo are great places to start for travel deals. It's gotten to the point where I don't even use Expedia anymore/

#139 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Heading to one of my favorite US cities tomorrow -- the Chi.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#140 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

I really dropped the ball on Wrigley this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=