Photo

What are your favorite travel destinations?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

I am a big traveler...going to St. Lucia in 3 days, so I am looking forward to that.

Who here loves to travel? What are your favorite travel destinations?

I have loved everywhere I have traveled to...I really haven't gotten somewhere and thought "this isn't a place for me".

However, for some reason, Portugal has been on my mind a lot lately. I went last spring and visited Porto (where they make port wine), Lagos (on the souther coast) and Lisbon. My wife and I are talking about retiring in Lagos and buying property within the next few years.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

I need to do more international travel, but for me...

Maui
Yosemite
NYC
Chicago

And although I've only had limited time in these parks: Zion, Bryce, and Rocky Mountain National Parks

#3 lordbrook

lordbrook
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I love Southern Utah but my kid's all time favorite vacation was going to the Smithsonian. We don't travel far from home too often yet, and I've never been to Europe but that is coming up soon. San Francisco and Seattle are great places to go as well.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

I LOVE traveling...within the United States.

Call me crazy, but very little appeals to me about leaving the country. I just get a weird feeling like I'm a stranger in a strange land. The familiarity of being in the US comforts me (plus there is PLENTY to see here!).

My favorite US cities to visit:

-San Francisco
-Chicago
-Boston
-Los Angeles
-San Diego

I pretty much love everything about California and could go there for weeks with nothing on the agenda and have a good time. Also, Denver is very underrated.

Cities that I haven't seen yet that I'm dying to visit are Seattle, San Antonio, Austin and Memphis (although I've been to Nashville, I hear they are somewhat different).

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Just returned from my honeymoon, a cruise down the Rhine River.

I didn't get to experience much of Switzerland or the Netherlands. France was kinda meh, but I'm absolutely in love with Germany. Cologne and Heidelberg, specifically.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Haven't been to a ton of places. Have been to Hawaii, the US Virgin Islands, the Pacific side of Mexico, Cancun, the UK, and Aruba.

A number of the trips were enjoyable, Aruba is the place I'd like to return the most.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Favorite places I've been so far:

Thailand
Italy
Croatia
Germany
St. Lucia
Belize

On the Bucket List:

Argentina/Chile
New Zealand
Scandinavia

#8 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Haven't been to a ton of places. Have been to Hawaii, the US Virgin Islands, the Pacific side of Mexico, Cancun, the UK, and Aruba.

A number of the trips were enjoyable, Aruba is the place I'd like to return the most.

Just went to Aruba last fall and can't wait to go back. The direct flights from BWI they started this year are entirely too convenient.

Toronto is another city that I really enjoyed visiting. I've been thinking about going again either Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend to catch the O's on a long weekend. I usually fly into Buffalo and rent a car. Just a quick 2.5 hr drive to Toronto, much cheaper than the direct flight. Plus, you can stop in Niagara on the way.
@KRL224

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Everyone should visit Italy at least once in their lives and see Rome, Florence and Venice...if not other places in Italy as well.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Don't leave the country, but:

Outer Banks, NC
Las Vegas
Florida (various spots)

are pretty much our staples.
@JeremyMStrain

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Outer Banks, NC

OBX is great. My wife and I, SG and his GF, and two other couples are going down there in a couple of months.

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

OBX is great. My wife and I, SG and his GF, and two other couples are going down there in a couple of months.

We go the first week in August every year, my godmother owns 3 houses in Hatteras so we rent at cost with like 8 of us (and 4 kids). I'm counting days already. When/where are you guys staying?
@JeremyMStrain

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

We go the first week in August every year, my godmother owns 3 houses in Hatteras so we rent at cost with like 8 of us (and 4 kids). I'm counting days already. When/where are you guys staying?

6/23 til the 30th... staying in Corolla. Last two times I went with family, stayed in Duck. Really enjoyed the restaurants down there. Sounds like a great godmother to have!

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

I go to S.Bethany Beach whenever I like because my grandparents have a house there that they don't use. It's been my beach destination since I was young, except for when I lived in SoCal.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I go to S.Bethany Beach whenever I like because my grandparents have a house there that they don't use. It's been my beach destination since I was young, except for when I lived in SoCal.

Good call. I lived there my senior year in HS and a year after while playing indy leagues. Nice place to visit...wouldn't wanna live there, again.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm an OC guy. Love the place. Generally I like being on the shore.

6/23 til the 30th... staying in Corolla. Last two times I went with family, stayed in Duck. Really enjoyed the restaurants down there. Sounds like a great godmother to have!

Our family went to the Outer Banks last year for the first time (neighbors have a house in Corolla). Loved it. Never stopped in Duck, but drove through about a ten times over the week. Took a day trip down to Hatteras, stopping at the lighthouses and the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. Wanted to go to Ocracoke but the ferry was...crowded.

I've also taken a baseball road trip the past two summers. To New York and Boston in 2010, with a stop in Cooperstown and a couple other places, and to Cleveland and Pittsburgh last year. I'm trying to decide what to do this year.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Our family went to the Outer Banks last year for the first time (neighbors have a house in Corolla). Loved it. Never stopped in Duck, but drove through about a ten times over the week. Took a day trip down to Hatteras, stopping at the lighthouses and the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. Wanted to go to Ocracoke but the ferry was...crowded.

I've also taken a baseball road trip the past two summers. To New York and Boston in 2010, with a stop in Cooperstown and a couple other places, and to Cleveland and Pittsburgh last year. I'm trying to decide what to do this year.

Our house we always stayed in was in Salvo, it got hit hard by the Hurricane last year, but last year they bought a new house they plan on retiring to in a few years, so we stayed there. It's much further down towards Ocracoke (little known fact, Jimmy Buffett spends a month there every year in like Sept/Oct) but it's bigger and on the sound with a private pier and all that good stuff, so it's fun times. We go with 8 adults and 4 kids, and it's always the best week of the year.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

OBX is great. I've been twice a long time ago but I would like to go back with some friends and rent a huge house for the week. It will also always have a special place in my heart because that is where I first saw The Matrix. :D

I also love OC. It feels like a second home to me now that my parents have a house in Bishopville. I understand why people wouldn't like it but I love it. Always will.

My dad is obsessed with the Florida Keys...I love it there but it's so expensive to fly and I wont drive down there again after several road trips down there as a kid.

I still want to go to Chicago, Pacific NW...Austin...

Still want to get to several locations in Canada as well.

Montreal is awesome. Highly recommended.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,778 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

My best friend is getting married in OBX in early June. He's rented a freaking mansion on the beach (one of those places only accessible by 4WD car through the sand) and everyone is going to stay there for the entire week (and two smaller, ~25-sleeper houses for the weekend when family comes in for the wedding). It's got like 25 bedrooms, a movie theater, and all sorts of awesome amenities. I've spent a week in Corolla two of the past three summers, and have had an amazing time. This will be my first time at a place only 4WD accessible, and I'm ridiculously excited. Basically will be a 5-day party for 30 or so of our best friends, then all the family comes in for the end of the week for the wedding on Friday.

We went to Key West for his bachelor party about a month ago. That was incredible. It was 82 and cloudless the entire time, the night life was a blast, and we chartered a fishing boat for one of the days and then had a local restaurant cook and feed us our catch from the day. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for a very relaxing environment that still has lots of bustling night life. The beaches are kinda crappy there, though, is the only problem. Stay by the pools during the day.

#20 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

However, for some reason, Portugal has been on my mind a lot lately. I went last spring and visited Porto (where they make port wine), Lagos (on the souther coast) and Lisbon. My wife and I are talking about retiring in Lagos and buying property within the next few years.

Aren't you, like, 30-ish? And you're thinking of retiring to Portugal within a few years?

What kind of work are you in, Sean? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=