#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

I can't see them reviewing balls&strikes, probably anything else is fair game. I'm sure the umpires are happy about it being taken out of their hands. I would love for this process to be as transparent as possible.

@levineps

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think a good idea might be calls in the 9th inning or later reviewable from NYC similar to the under 2-min warning and OT in the NFL (from the booth).

@levineps

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I don't like the distinction between the first 6 innings and the last 3 because a blown call can be just as important early in a game.

Other than that, I really like this.

As for the point about abusing this, well managers can come out to argue for the same effect and can take more time doing so.

They can also get thrown out and possibly suspended and fined for their conduct. If managers abused the system here for going after routine plays, could they lose their challenges in futre games?

Don't know and don't really care. That obviously doesn't stop managers from arguing so I don't see this being any worse in terms of time. Unless the guys in NYC take forever, which they may judging by other sports replays, but they really shouldn't.

#24 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

I think a good idea might be calls in the 9th inning or later reviewable from NYC similar to the under 2-min warning and OT in the NFL (from the booth).

My preference is whatever is fastest, with the caveat that if Angel Hernandez, Laz Diaz, Bob Davidson, CB Bucknor, and/or Joe West are part of the umpiring crew, then I want the call reviewed in NYC.

• Oriole85 likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

My preference is whatever is fastest, with the caveat that if Angel Hernandez, Laz Diaz, Bob Davidson, CB Bucknor, and/or Joe West are part of the umpiring crew, then I want the call reviewed in NYC.

If it was completely at the discretion of the umps, then it would be the best IMO in terms of the time-argument. But there's always going to be that call they completely miss, which managers are going to want to be reviewed. Like I said earlier, a result of this is calls that umpires previously reviewed at the request of the manager now without any penalty(as in using up one of their challenges) will now be used. One advantage the NFL still has is they have assistant coaches with access to the replays, you don't have that in baseball unless you count the jumbotron and they don't usually review controversial plays.

@levineps

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

What I'd really want is an ump watching the game with the power to correct calls as he sees fit rather than needing a challenge.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

What I'd really want is an ump watching the game with the power to correct calls as he sees fit rather than needing a challenge.

I don't like the challenge thing either.  But I understand why they do it, mostly to prevent there from being too many replays in a game.  They don't want the umps or someone in a booth being the only one to decide what plays to review either, because then at some point a play that the manager wants reviewed will be overlooked by the eye in the sky.

I think the NCAA football model is a good one.  Reviews can come from above AND the coach gets a certain number of challenges of plays not reviewed from upstairs.

#28 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

What is the goal of limiting challenges in baseball?    Is it to speed up the game?

There's no game clock in baseball.   If the manager runs out of challenges, he will then just delay the game as he complains about the fact that he is out of challenges (and gets tossed).

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#29 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Just review all the close plays. The game takes forever the way it is so whats another minute or two on close plays at first, home, etc.?

#30 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

I like it. Good job, MLB. I didn't think they'd ever go for it.

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

I like it. Good job, MLB. I didn't think they'd ever go for it.

Same, my brother reminds me of that, and that was when they expanded to the homerun calls. I know many want robot umps. Davey Johnson called an electronic K-Zone, anyone up for that?

@levineps

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Challenges not used in the first six innings will not carry over, and a manager who wins a challenge will retain it.

The home run replay rules currently in use will be grandfathered in to the new system, Schuerholz said.

http://espn.go.com/m...ideo-challenges

@levineps

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

@IanDesmond20  Coaches challenge in baseball, really? Don't ruin a great game please.

@IanDesmond20  If you think there is a problem with brakes, do you make the airbags stronger or do get the brakes fixed?

@IanDesmond20 To make it clear, I love the game the way it is right now. If people want a "perfect" game, it's never going to happen in this sport.

I'm an Ian Desmond fan, but he's taking the traditionalist argument too far here. Yes, the game won't be perfect even with replay. The people in NYC will still make some incorrect calls. But there's no reason with the technology we have today do everything possible to get things right.

@levineps

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

I wish there was a simple way to do it without the coaches challenging.  I don't like that aspect.  But if you just make it umpire's discretion of what to review, or the eye-in-the-sky's decision, then undoubtedly there will be plays that the manager wants reviewed that don't get reviewed.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

I wish there was a simple way to do it without the coaches challenging.  I don't like that aspect.  But if you just make it umpire's discretion of what to review, or the eye-in-the-sky's decision, then undoubtedly there will be plays that the manager wants reviewed that don't get reviewed.

Like you said the NCAA system is a good one. I suggested the NFL as well with the 9th inning or later being the equivalent to the 2 minute warning and OT.

Apparently, the way home runs are done currently will stay in, so managers won't have to waste a challenge there like I initially thought.

@levineps

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Apparently, the way home runs are done currently will stay in, so managers won't have to waste a challenge there like I initially thought.

What if the umpires decide not to review a HR?  Can the manager use one of his challenges and have them review it then? 

Will the 4 local umpires still go review the HR on that stupid tiny TV or will it get kicked back to NYC now?

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

What if the umpires decide not to review a HR?  Can the manager use one of his challenges and have them review it then? 

Will the 4 local umpires still go review the HR on that stupid tiny TV or will it get kicked back to NYC now?

It's the way it currently works now. I guess if the umpire refused to review a homer (how often does that happen?), then they'd have to use the challenge. But anything even somewhat close should be exempt.

They said it was being "grandfathered" in, I would think they'd throw it back to NYC in this case but it's entirely possible that they'll review it on the "stupid tiny tv."

@levineps

#38 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Analogy:   In the NFL, all touchdowns are automatically reviewed.  A running back leaps over the pile and barely breaks the plane, but the referee doesn't see it so he doesn't call it a touchdown.   The play isn't automatically reviewed.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

http://hardballtalk....na-fall-league/

I hope that:

1) They find replay itself to be effective.

2) They find the current plan stupid and make changes.

@DJ_McCann

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 28s

Owners approve funding for replay expansion next season. Approval of players' and umpires' union fully expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=