4263 replies to this topic

#4161 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:42 PM

The problem is it's impossible to make movies like they did in the 80s and 90s.

They don't use practical effects anymore and politics/social activism has changed movies for better or worse...and while I can appreciate some aspects to that it has basically neutered storytelling.

There are still good movies being made but they're few and far between and likely not something you're going to see between say March and September on a Friday night at the local megaplex.

Movies have become cartoons.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4162 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:35 PM

The problem is it's impossible to make movies like they did in the 80s and 90s.

They don't use practical effects anymore and politics/social activism has changed movies for better or worse...and while I can appreciate some aspects to that it has basically neutered storytelling.

There are still good movies being made but they're few and far between and likely not something you're going to see between say March and September on a Friday night at the local megaplex.

Movies have become cartoons.

They still exist, they're just tv series now.

• CantonJester likes this

#4163 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 08:57 PM

There's one thing going for the new Indy Movie that has me a little interested: It's directed by James Mangold

#4164 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 10:12 PM

Movies aren't made anymore. Old Man, Slow Horses, etc are solid streaming options that would've been 2+ hour feature films back in "the day."

#4165 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:01 PM

Just buy Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom and thank me later. It’ll be okay.

#4166 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 05:45 AM

Agree. But I like the condensed stories films provide and the theater experience. And most TV shows stick around for too long.

I bet people raised on the films of the 40s and 50s said the same when the 70s rolled around. Things change, etc. 

But 90 percent of the films being made today do nothing for me.

• Hooded Viper and BobPhelan like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4167 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 05:48 AM

My point being, as a younger filmgoer, probably between say 16-36 it was a common occurrence to be blown away by a film. Whether it was Independence Day, The Matrix, Wedding Crashers, Brokeback Mountain or Zodiac...those films moved and wowed me in a way few films do now. And I don't believe they even try to anymore.

And TV isn't as good as it was 10-20 years ago. There's too much out there and it lasts for too long. Succession being the rare exception to this.

#4168 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 June 2023 - 06:04 AM

My point being, as a younger filmgoer, probably between say 16-36 it was a common occurrence to be blown away by a film. Whether it was Independence Day, The Matrix, Wedding Crashers, Brokeback Mountain or Zodiac...those films moved and wowed me in a way few films do now. And I don't believe they even try to anymore.

And TV isn't as good as it was 10-20 years ago. There's too much out there and it lasts for too long. Succession being the rare exception to this.

I've never heard of anyone being blown away by  Wedding Crashers.  Fun movie, yes but nothing that really stood out to me with that one.

#4169 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 June 2023 - 06:27 AM

I think tv is better now. There is still great stuff out there you just have to sift through a lot to find it. And the "average" show is better now. I don't watch network tv outside of Survivor and Big Brother so not counting those.

• CantonJester likes this

#4170 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 09:44 PM

Might as well rename this thread "General / Random Comic Book Movie Talk".

Oppenheimer is soon too, we'll talk about that.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#4171 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 07:53 AM

I've never heard of anyone being blown away by Wedding Crashers. Fun movie, yes but nothing that really stood out to me with that one.

Instant classic. People have been quoting that movie since they walked out of the theater.

Now most movies elicit shrugs from me and they don’t make comedies anymore.

#4172 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 June 2023 - 09:43 AM

Oppenheimer is soon too, we'll talk about that.

And let's not forget Barbie!

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#4173 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 07:03 PM

I think tv is better now. There is still great stuff out there you just have to sift through a lot to find it. And the "average" show is better now. I don't watch network tv outside of Survivor and Big Brother so not counting those.

You have to include streaming platforms in order to make this statement, and in that case, I absolutely agree. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#4174 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 07:55 PM

Creed III hit Prime so I finally gave it a watch.  This series continues to be consistently good, but this is the weakest of the 3 and I feel like Stallone's absence is felt.  He did added a lot of emotional core to the previous two installments, and I think he would have done a better job doing what the two obvious substitutes they tried to use for him did.

I feel kinda bad cause I was like why is Edward James Olmos in this with no dialogue, but that was Stich Duran.

• BobPhelan likes this

#4175 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 05:28 AM

Creed III hit Prime so I finally gave it a watch.  This series continues to be consistently good, but this is the weakest of the 3 and I feel like Stallone's absence is felt.  He did added a lot of emotional core to the previous two installments, and I think he would have done a better job doing what the two obvious substitutes they tried to use for him did.

I feel kinda bad cause I was like why is Edward James Olmos in this with no dialogue, but that was Stich Duran.

I watched it last night. I think it is better than II. Almost as good as the first one. Majors is amazing. He took the movie to another level. And Jordan directed the shit out of this thing. Had way more heart and style than a part III or Part 9 should have depending on how you view these movies as part of the whole Rocky saga.

#4176 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 02:42 PM

Jurassic Park just turned 30. Man, I remember seeing that and Last Action Hero on the same day with my cousin at Westview Cinema. Getting old!

As revolutionary as that movie was in regard to SFX, I think I read that there were less than 100 CGI effects in that film whereas a movie like Fast and the Furious has over 10,000.

• DuffMan likes this

#4177 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:17 PM

Jurassic Park just turned 30. Man, I remember seeing that and Last Action Hero on the same day with my cousin at Westview Cinema. Getting old!

As revolutionary as that movie was in regard to SFX, I think I read that there were less than 100 CGI effects in that film whereas a movie like Fast and the Furious has over 10,000.

I thought this was interesting:

‘Jurassic Park’ at 30: A Great Blockbuster That Made Hollywood Worse - The Ringer

• DuffMan likes this

#4178 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:18 PM

Also, Jurassic Park is one of my very favorite movies.

#4179 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:37 PM

Was the first movie I ever saw in theaters twice.

@BSLMikeRandall

#4180 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:36 PM

Man. Some young bucks in this place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors