4261 replies to this topic

#4141 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:12 AM

Looks amazing. Dune was my favorite blockbuster film of the century.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4142 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 08:54 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was good, but it didn't quite achieve the impact the other two movies had.  

#4143 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 May 2023 - 11:35 AM

So I haven't seen it posted anywhere, but I'll mention it here. This writers strike has been going for a few weeks now and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight.  I've read it could be months before there's a resolution.  While it won't impact much in the near term besides latenight (and man am I missing John Oliver).  It will be something to keep an eye on down the road.  It's also interesting how some shows and movies have halted production while others have gone ahead.  For instance I just read that they've started filming Deadpool 3, but they have to follow the script verbatim and aren't allowed to make any changes or improv any lines.  That seems like the kind of movie you would want to have that flexibility. 

#4144 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:04 PM

So I haven't seen it posted anywhere, but I'll mention it here. This writers strike has been going for a few weeks now and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight. I've read it could be months before there's a resolution. While it won't impact much in the near term besides latenight (and man am I missing John Oliver). It will be something to keep an eye on down the road. It's also interesting how some shows and movies have halted production while others have gone ahead. For instance I just read that they've started filming Deadpool 3, but they have to follow the script verbatim and aren't allowed to make any changes or improv any lines. That seems like the kind of movie you would want to have that flexibility.

I know late night shows have writers rooms. But if John Oliver wanted to do his own jokes, could the show go on? Or would that be basically crossing the picket line and not standing up for your team?
@BSLMikeRandall

#4145 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:05 PM

Watched “Air” over the weekend. Thought it was good. Intro was one of the best intros to any movie, mainly because it’s the best intro to any song ever. (Money for nothing)
@BSLMikeRandall

#4146 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:12 PM

Dire Straits is like a cheat code for any director trying to add music to their show or movie.

• Mike in STL likes this

#4147 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:31 PM

I know late night shows have writers rooms. But if John Oliver wanted to do his own jokes, could the show go on? Or would that be basically crossing the picket line and not standing up for your team?

I imagine the show could go on in some capacity, but it wouldn't be as good and would  100% be considered crossing the picket line.  Heck half of Oliver's long pieces on his show seem to focus on workers rights and calling out BS in various workfields so it would be extremely hypocritical of him to not support his own staff.

I don't know all of the complaints, but I do know that the writers essentially put this off a couple of years ago as their deal was up as Covid was getting going and they didn't feel like it was the write time to negotiate/strike but now with the looming threat of AI taking writers jobs they have to stand up for what is right.

On a related note, my favorite writers strike related quote so far has come from GRRM.  Martin mentioned on his blog that we shouldn't worry about the writers strike impacting his ability to continue working on Winds of Winter.  For the record book and print are separate from Hollywood so this is correct, but it still made me laugh!

• Mike in STL likes this

#4148 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:45 PM

Watched “Air” over the weekend. Thought it was good. Intro was one of the best intros to any movie, mainly because it’s the best intro to any song ever. (Money for nothing)

I really enjoyed Air. It's a great change of pace from the movies that are prevalent these days, well at least at a mainstream level.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#4149 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:28 PM

Spider-Verse effectively builds upon the concept of the first movie, but man if that isn't the most frustrating way to end a movie.

#4150 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 June 2023 - 03:12 PM

Spider-Verse effectively builds upon the concept of the first movie, but man if that isn't the most frustrating way to end a movie.

Really want to take the kids this weekend, but we may have to wait one more week.

#4151 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM

Really want to take the kids this weekend, but we may have to wait one more week.

Squeezed it in tonight after soccer and glad we went. What a great movie!
  • JeremyStrain, Mashed Potatoes and Dupin like this

#4152 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:01 AM

One other thought about "Across the Spider Verse"  this is another banger of a film involving Lord and Miller and I really have to question what Disney was thinking when they booted them from the Solo movie and what that movie could have been if they had stuck around.

• BobPhelan and Dupin like this

#4153 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 June 2023 - 07:24 AM

Squeezed it in tonight after soccer and glad we went. What a great movie!

This week is crazy for us, 4 concerts, promotion ceremonies, graduations...so I don't know if I can get it in.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4154 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,556 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 07:54 AM

Father’s Day is my chance. Do I see Spider-Man or Flash?
  • DuffMan likes this

#4155 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 08:24 AM

Father’s Day is my chance. Do I see Spider-Man or Flash?

I don't know if you can go wrong with either (besides Batman, I'm not much of a DC guy myself), but I'll say this about Spider-Man.  I'm already thinking about when I can go see it a 2nd time and there aren't many movies I see twice in theaters.   I think my record is 3 for Return of the King!

#4156 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 08:47 AM

Might as well rename this thread "General / Random Comic Book Movie Talk".

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4157 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,556 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:53 AM

Might as well rename this thread "General / Random Comic Book Movie Talk".

Just reflects what’s happening in general. But having a son makes it a lot easier to get out and see these things.

#4158 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 12:21 PM

There are four tent pole movies out. Plus Mario Bros is still out, what, 2 months later? Mom visiting and we went to a movie. Saw “You Hurt my Feelings”. No interest in either Marvel, Little Mermaid, or Fast X (until I catch up). I think it was the only other option at the theatre.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4159 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:42 PM

Just reflects what’s happening in general. But having a son makes it a lot easier to get out and see these things.

I'm mostly over the IP movie craze. Especially comic books. Probably there with Star Wars too.

I may see Indy in the theaters but it's just as likely that I'll wait for streaming. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#4160 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:58 PM

I'm mostly over the IP movie craze. Especially comic books. Probably there with Star Wars too.

I may see Indy in the theaters but it's just as likely that I'll wait for streaming.

As great as the trilogy is, Indy 4 I like to pretend never happened. The trailer for this one just looks bad. The CGI looks atrocious. Hard pass.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=