#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yea, I always said there was no chance he was coming back before June 1. I still am going to assume a set back and that he doesn't pitch in the majors this year.

I hope I'm wrong.

#42 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yea, I always said there was no chance he was coming back before June 1. I still am going to assume a set back and that he doesn't pitch in the majors this year.

I hope I'm wrong.

I kinda feel as long as the rotation is doing well that they send him down, let him pitch the rest of the year in AAA and save service time. That's a HUGE if though, and I'd hope he'd be back up after minor league season is over to knock some rust off in the majors and be ready for next season.
@JeremyMStrain

#43 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I kinda feel as long as the rotation is doing well that they send him down, let him pitch the rest of the year in AAA and save service time. That's a HUGE if though, and I'd hope he'd be back up after minor league season is over to knock some rust off in the majors and be ready for next season.

We can't count on the rotation being this good all season. Britton is our insurance policy, and a pretty good one at that.

I expect we'll see Hunter or Matusz take a step back at some point. Or maybe it's Chen, once he goes around the league a second time.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

I hope I'm wrong.

Mid-to-late May / early June was always the time he figured to be back. We will see how the next month goes. I guess I understand the trepidation about wondering if he will get back, but I'm much more optimistic than SG.

If Britton is healthy enough to be pitching, I'd be shocked if he was spending innings at AAA. I think he will wind-up replacing Hunter, with Hunter replacing Gregg.

#45 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

If he comes back, I'd consider him for the long man/matchup lefty in the pen. Pomeranz replaces Gregg. Britton replaces Patton.

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

If he comes back, I'd consider him for the long man/matchup lefty in the pen. Pomeranz replaces Gregg. Britton replaces Patton.

I'd hope to see him in the rotation, his value would be a lot higher there, hoping his injuries don't relegate him atleast permanetely to the 'pen.
@levineps

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'd hope to see him in the rotation, his value would be a lot higher there, hoping his injuries don't relegate him atleast permanetely to the 'pen.

Yeah, but he might not be able to bump someone from the rotation when he comes back. Even if the expectation is that someone will get injured or ineffective as the season progresses, that may not be the case at that point.

The question is, does he go into the Baltimore bullpen, or the Norfolk rotation?

#48 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, but he might not be able to bump someone from the rotation when he comes back. Even if the expectation is that someone will get injured or ineffective as the season progresses, that may not be the case at that point.

The question is, does he go into the Baltimore bullpen, or the Norfolk rotation?

No brainer, he goes to Norfolk. I don't want a Boras client with his ceiling accruing ML service time as a swing man in the bullpen.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

No brainer, he goes to Norfolk. I don't want a Boras client with his ceiling accruing ML service time as a swing man in the bullpen.

I tend to think he would be one of the top 5 pitchers, but if not agree with sending him to Norfolk.
@levineps

#50 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

I think he is by measurement of talent but I do honestly want him to work on his fastball command at Norfolk. He has a tendency to throw his 2 seamer out of the strike zone or, when he tries to elevate it, it straightens out.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...out-tejada.html

"Britton threw 47 pitches today in live batting practice at the Ed Smith Stadium complex in Sarasota.

The reports on Britton's left shoulder continue to be positive, and he'll pitch in an extended spring training game on Thursday.

Britton is scheduled to start three extended spring games, including May 15 and 21. He could begin an injury-rehab assignment in the minors on May 26.

The Orioles probably want Britton to start at least two games in the minors before they consider activating him from the disabled list."

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

MLB.com / Ghiroli 5/10: "Britton threw three innings in an extended spring training game Thursday.
The 45-pitch outing featured mostly fastballs with a few change-ups peppered in. Britton is scheduled to throw again on May 15. If he doesn't suffer a setback, Britton should be ready to join the Orioles' starting rotation by the middle of June."

#53 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

I am worried that the Orioles will try and rush him if they are still in contention by the beginning of June. I really really really want them to be more on the conservative side with the injury. Not necessary to rush the guy. It's not like he is a proven and established veteran.

I am excited to see Britton return, but they should absolutely tread lightly and let him gain all his strength and conditioning back before!

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am worried that the Orioles will try and rush him if they are still in contention by the beginning of June. I really really really want them to be more on the conservative side with the injury. Not necessary to rush the guy. It's not like he is a proven and established veteran.

I am excited to see Britton return, but they should absolutely tread lightly and let him gain all his strength and conditioning back before!

I can't find the quote, but I did see Showalter state last week that the O's are being overly cautious with Britton.

MLB.com / Britt's Bird Watch 5/10: http://brittghiroli....-pregame-notes/

"Lefty Zach Britton threw his first extended spring game on Thursday, throwing 45 pitches –mostly fastballs, with a few changeups mixed in — and he went three innings, allowing one hit. Britton, who recorded five ground ball outs, also picked up a strikeout and he will throw again in a game on Tuesday. The reports on Britton were favorable, and his arm strength appears to be there, with Showalter pointing out that the 24-year-old Britton had good velocity in the outing. At this point, the end of May would be the best-case scenario for Britton, with early June the most likely timeframe for his return."

#55 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏ @Britt_Ghiroli
Britton in 2nd ext spring rehab start: 4 ip 2h 0er 4k 47 pitches. Threw 20 more pitches in the bullpen after w positive reports. #orioles

Brittany Ghiroli ‏ @Britt_Ghiroli
Britton will throw again the 20 or 21, getting up around 80 pitches. Likely a rehab assignment after that. #orioles

#56 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

I feel like we have just enough depth for that #5 spot in the rotation that we don't have to rush Britton at all. I think waiting patiently for him to regain his form and work on commanding his fastball better is worth waiting to bring him back into the O's rotation until the end of June or around the All-Star break.

Besides, I'm really curious to see Steve Johnson join the O's (even if it's a short stint) because he's been amazing at Norfolk and more than possible he's a far better option than Eveland and Hunter.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard
"Orioles LHP Zach Britton threw 5 innings (69 pitches) in extended spring game, another 10 in pen. Next step TBD after workout day on Wed."

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...n-and-more.html
If Britton gets through Wednesday's work day, he'll join an affiliate and start on Saturday. The smart money is on Bowie.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Apparently, Britton could be in BMore next week. Bad idea IMO. They should give him at least 2 mil rehab starts IMO. Be as cautious as possible with him.

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,150 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Apparently, Britton could be in BMore next week. Bad idea IMO. They should give him at least 2 mil rehab starts IMO. Be as cautious as possible with him.

Be as cautious as necessary with him, not as cautious as possible. As cautious as possible is shutting him down for the year. Or having him pitch minor league innings under the mistaken impression that he's less likely to get hurt there than in the majors.

You leave him on a rehab assignment until he's pitching well enough to get MLB hitters out and stretched out enough to get through 6-7 innings regularly. I agree we don't want to rush him, but if he shows after a couple starts that he can go deep enough to not burden the team and well enough to be useful, that isn't rushing him.

I feel like they've spent the time in Sarasota getting him capable of going 5-6 innings. The rehab stint is to stretch that a tiny bit further but more importantly to shake off the rust and get some better hitters out before jumping back into things at the MLB level.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

I feel like we have just enough depth for that #5 spot in the rotation that we don't have to rush Britton at all. I think waiting patiently for him to regain his form and work on commanding his fastball better is worth waiting to bring him back into the O's rotation until the end of June or around the All-Star break.

Besides, I'm really curious to see Steve Johnson join the O's (even if it's a short stint) because he's been amazing at Norfolk and more than possible he's a far better option than Eveland and Hunter.

You're OK with Tommy Hunter?
@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=