HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: Britton: Ailing shoulder feels 'like new.'
http://baltimore.ori...ws_bal&c_id=bal

I'll reiterate my previous post... I just hope that Britton does the right thing and is honest throughout this process. He'll be greatly harming his future and the organization if he isn't.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'll reiterate my previous post... I just hope that Britton does the right thing and is honest throughout this process. He'll be greatly harming his future and the organization if he isn't.

Had your comments in my head when I posted that.

I prefer him saying he feels good, vs. the alternative. Just hope he is honest with himself if anything does not feel right.

However, at this point he has shown no damage on an MRI, and by his own words feels good. We need to go by that for now.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Had your comments in my head when I posted that.

I prefer him saying he feels good, vs. the alternative. Just hope he is honest with himself if anything does not feel right.

However, at this point he has shown no damage on an MRI, and by his own words feels good. We need to go by that for now.

I hear ya, once burnt twice shy though, you know? I hope this one turns out alright, i'll stop worrying for now, but wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Satchel Price, SB Nation: "“I’m a big Zach Britton fan, but it’s hard to really expect much from the other two (Matusz, and Arrieta)."

Matthew Pouliot, NBC Sports / Hardball Talk: "Britton projects as the Orioles’ best pitcher. He’s the one likely to give up less than a homer every nine innings, and I think he’ll get his K:BB ratio up around 2:1 this year.”

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli reported Thursday that, "Zach Britton (left shoulder inflammation) threw from 120 feet today and was in good spirits about it. He throws again tomorrow."

Did we see a report from yesterday? All the news we have seen so far has been positive.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

CSN Baltimore: Britton interview (video)
http://www.csnbaltim...Vo_EQXcjm_GPhR1

#28 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

I like that both Britton and the O's are taking caution with each step as it comes along

Cannot afford to have Britton hurt and on the shelf for a long period of time. Hopefully he'll be ready to go on April 6th.
@MattCLund

#29 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

If Britton can work on his control, he can be as dominant of a pitcher as Bedard was with the Orioles (before he left). That being said, thats the problem with every pitcher on the roster. They lack control. When tillman is on his game, he is unhittable but because he cant control his pitches, he struggles. Same goes for Arietta. He could go 8 innings of solid pitching if he had control but instead he leaves in the 5th or 6th. The bullpen is not as bad as the Era says but because they have to pitch 3-4 innings every game, they struggle.
@Langley486

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: Britton gets PRP injection
http://brittghiroli....britton-update/

"Orioles pitcher Zach Britton received two rounds of Platet Rich Plasma therapy on Wednesday, a new and increasingly popular procedure that he hopes will help heal the left shoulder inflammation that has plagued him since August.

Britton, who had the procedure recommended to him by Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola, Fla. on Wednesday morning, said he was told by Andrews to look at this as a “six-week or more process”, depending on how his body heals. He called the entire injury experience, “obviously frustrating” but the hope continues to be that the 24-year-old lefty, who had an MRI taken that shows no structural damage, will be able to avoid surgery and pitch healthy at some point this season.

“I have a follow up appointment with Dr Andrews and he will assess and see how things are,” Britton said. “So, nothing will happen overnight.”

The procedure, called PRP, consists of centrifuging the patient’s blood to isolate platelets and growth factors. The mix is then injected back into the injured area to accelerate healing, and help speed tissue growth. Britton said the procedure was recommended over a standard Cortisone injection because it’s a way for the body to heal itself. The concentrated growth factors have been shown to speed tissue growth and healing in several studies, although the results are still disputed. The procedure has been done by a few other notable athletes including Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods.

While Britton was already a longshot for Opening Day, Wednesday’s news makes it a certainty he will not be ready to start the season. Britton mentioned the end of April as a potential target date, although he later admitted that his timetable is very much up in the air.

“I’m not going to rush back and have the same issue crop back up,” he said. “It’s just a process that I’ve got to take. I’m frustrated with it, but if it’s going to help me pitch and have a long career, that’s the most important thing. Not necessarily being ready to pitch in April.”

“It could go faster, it could go slower, you just don’t know. It’s truly unknown right now. You just have to see how my body reacts in a couple weeks.”

Britton won’t pick up a ball for at least 7-10 days, although it could be longer before he starts any kind of shoulder rehab program."

I know the normal inclination from people is to fear the worst, but I'm not going there yet. We have an MRI showing no structural damage. Let's see where he is in a couple of weeks. If he is throwing in 2-3 weeks, maybe he is back in mid-May. (May 2nd is 6 weeks from today.)

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

MLB.com / Ghrioli: http://brittghiroli....g-brittons-prp/

This 2nd piece from Ghiroli provides a Q&A with Milwaukee Brewers team physician, Dr. Mark Niedfeldt who gives some further insight into the procedure Britton had.

So, zero risk/downside to having this procedure; but little certainty of what it will achieve and how long the process will take.

#32 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

MLB.com / Ghrioli: http://brittghiroli....g-brittons-prp/

This 2nd piece from Ghiroli provides a Q&A with Milwaukee Brewers team physician, Dr. Mark Niedfeldt who gives some further insight into the procedure Britton had.

So, zero risk/downside to having this procedure; but little certainty of what it will achieve and how long the process will take.

This is a good read and I recommend everyone giving it at least a skim.
@BSLLukeJackson

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

If you could take odds on how many innings Britton throws and you put the over/under at 1 IP, do you take the over or under?

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

If you could take odds on how many innings Britton throws and you put the over/under at 1 IP, do you take the over or under?

Way over.

It is irritating / disappointing that in March he is still dealing with the irritation he had last August, but multiple Doctors have determined there is no structural damage.

I expect he will be in the rotation in mid-May / early-June. Hopefully he can stay there once that happens.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

MASN / Kubatko: Updating Britton
http://www.masnsport...nd-johnson.html

"DUNEDIN, Fla. - Zach Britton said his left shoulder is feeling good and he could begin to do some light tossing next week after receiving two Platelet Rich Plasma injections on March 21.

Dr. James Andrews told Britton it could be a six-week process before he's cleared to pitch.

"I've been feeling really good," Britton said this morning. "The soreness from the shots is gone. This will be the third day that I've been doing stuff in the pool, like shoulder strengthening in the pool. I've been going out and stretching with the team, moving my arm around, so it feels pretty good.

"Dr. Andrews said after the shots that the pain might last a week, and the pain's all gone. I can start doing shoulder strengthening stuff and I would assume probably light toss sometime next week. That would be two weeks after the shot."

Chris Correnti is coordinating Britton's rehab program. He did the same thing with Pedro Martinez, Johan Santana and Derek Lowe.

"He knows what he's doing when it comes to the shoulder stuff," Britton said. "I'm actually really excited to get him full-time."

#36 richie2621

richie2621
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

If you go and check out http://birdzbullpen.... ... six-weeks/

It is an article regarding Zach Britton and his shoulder.

Also if you subscribe then you will receive post game alerts for the Orioles.
Updated O's News http://birdzbullpen.com/talk

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

MLB.com / Ghrioli: http://brittghiroli....es-blue-jays-4/

"Zach Britton has had a ball in his hands and played catch for the last three days down in extended spring, with no pain. That’s definitely a very good sign."

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

On Twitter today, Britton said, "I'm feeling great, i'll be back before you know it."

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Great news. Hopefully he actually is alright.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: "Britton will go a sim gm Saturday, then 3 extended spring games starting on the 10th. Could go on rehab on the 26th the way its set up now."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=