Photo

BSL: Ravens celebrate Thanksgiving with win over Pitt; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

I love me some T. Smith...

Torrey Smith ‏@TorreySmithWR5m
I left too many plays on the field...shouldn't have been that close...Great Team Win

Torrey has to get stronger hands. He has gotten better at pure catching, though he did drop that one on the sideline tonight. The one that bugged me was the one Joe threw up to him in the endzone. Jump ball that he had in his hands and he let Taylor jar it lose. He high pointed it and everything but let Taylor jar it lose on not a overwhelming effort by Taylor.  Strong handed WRs bring that ball in.

This.

I just need someone to make a play every once and a while. Better yet, Joe needs someone to make a play.

Like when Ben got pressured on a 3rd down and flung the ball out towards Emmanuel Sanders and he proceeded to climb the ladder and snatch it out of the air, in traffic.

It's an extremely rare site to see our guys do anything like that.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#42 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

When they showed Tomlin on the screen, he was getting booed like crazy...they went back to him and he gave this little smile.

The penalties were very one sided. There was a lot of holding on Pitt that wasn't called and they showed a few penalties on the screen that weren't called.

The false start penalties were killing us...Oher always looks like he is offsides, so I'm not sure if the officials were missing something or if he was just off tonight.

But I hated the lack of killer instinct in this game by the coaching staff....didn't go after Ben enough..offense was coached to settle for field goals.

This game shouldn't have been close and that allowed it to be.

Flacco continues to play well vs Pitt.

The deep fried turkey was awesome.

This.

#43 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Something that really bothers the hell out of me...how come during every discussion of Joe Flacco somehow, some way, whomever is discussing him finds a way to crowbar in "$120 million"? This does not happen to any other big no money in the NFL but it happens to Flacco literally all the time.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Something that really bothers the hell out of me...how come during every discussion of Joe Flacco somehow, some way, whomever is discussing him finds a way to crowbar in "$120 million"? This does not happen to any other big no money in the NFL but it happens to Flacco literally all the time.

The only other one it happens to is Romo. It happens to Romo, because he has the stigma of... "No matter how good he looks in any game, he will find a way to Romo things up." Not particularly fair to him, but that is what he will deal with until he has any post-season success.

With Flacco we all know the arguments that have existed with him from either side (be it supporter or not). Some people were surprised by his success in the post-season last year, and called it fluke ish. My opinion is that he is capable of that play at any time, so that is not a fluke. Perhaps putting up 4 successive high quality games against strong competition is.

Regardless, there are many people who will always believe that Flacco earned 99% of that contract with that post-season run. Which is kind of crazy to me. Yes, he earned more by the Ravens winning the Super Bowl, but if Baltimore loses in Denver last year... I don't know that he signs for significantly less.

For those who have not believed in Flacco, they have used the contract to point to the Ravens record this year. Incorrectly pointing to the departures before the season as Flacco related. Ignoring the o-line issues, and run game limitations when evaluating Joe. 

Ultimately it is a headline world, and the headline so far this season has been Flacco and the Ravens have not played particularly well. If you don't look any further than that, it's easy to make a quick decisive swipe at him with the contract mentioned.

Flacco can again (at-least temporarily) change the narrative with a strong finish these next 4 games. Play well, lead the Ravens back to the Playoffs for the 6th time... to quote Al Davis, just win baby and the story-lines write themselves.

#45 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

@Chris unfortunately, I know all the reasons why it happens. I find the media to be incredibly lazy at times, which is completely inexcusable when for the NFL Network because their only job is to cover the NFL and it's as if the majority of their "analysts" have never watched a minute of film.
@primetime667083

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Awesome game. Great atmosphere before and during the game. I think Baltimore should get prime time Thanksgiving game every year. Make it a tradition. The fans definitely support it. Hung out with some cool Steeler fans before the game. I unloaded on a Steeler fan after the game. He was talking shit the whole game and especially when they were coming back. I'm not proud of it. Tomlin DEFINITELY deserves to be fined. Can't believe the refs didn't throw a flag there.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

I've slept on it and changed my mind in regards to Tomlin. He should be suspended a game. Blatant attempt at cheating. NFL has to set a precedent here to stop idiot coaches from doing these types of things.

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm not sure what the penalty should be, but I was actually more upset about it this morning than I was last night.

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

The only other one it happens to is Romo. It happens to Romo, because he has the stigma of... "No matter how good he looks in any game, he will find a way to Romo things up." Not particularly fair to him, but that is what he will deal with until he has any post-season success.

I remember when Vick got his gigantic deal it would be brought up whenever he wasn't perfect. That just eventually got surpassed in discussion of him by...other things.

@DJ_McCann

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

I was at the game last night.  A few thoughts:

1)  There were not as many Steeler fans at this game as there have been in the past.  Probably a combination of the holiday plus the fact that they're not that great this year, but you could count the individual terrible towels whenever they had a nice play, so that was nice.

2)  Michael Oher is a bone-head.  Probably cost us at least one touchdown and then after the game he tried to blame the crowd noise?  Huh?

3) Ray Rice stinks.  Pierce clearly is the better back right now.  They're running behind the same bad line and Pierce continues to outshine him.

4)  It wasn't THAT cold early on in the game, but towards the 4th quarter, the wind picked up and it got pretty nipply.

5)  Best insult of the night was a fan calling Oher a "sack of crap."  Not sure why but it made me LOL.  Probably the beer.

6)  Not sure what happened on that botched Steeler FG.  I thought Suisham started his kick before the snap.  Isn't that a false start?  Not that I was complaining.

7)  Very few people in the stadium noticed the Tomlin interference until they replayed it on the big board.  Kudos to the board operator for having the balls to show a questionable play.

8)  Emmanuel Sanders is a chump.  After he did Ray's dance I thought to myself "if there is a football god, he will make you pay."  Low and behold, the dropped 2PC.

9)  Did we punt at all last night?

10)  Zero turnovers by either team -- pretty impressive for what should have been a defensive struggle.

11)  I HATE watching Big Ben elude sacks.  I figured last night, with out pass rush and their shaky o-line, we'd nail him a few times.  But the man has an uncanny ability to make something out of nothing.  He threw a few really nice passes under duress.

12)  Security was, let's just say, not the most efficient at the gates.  If the New England game is frigid I'm sneaking in a bottle of whiskey -- for any cops reading this, my name is Branden Nickle.

13)  Playoff outlook looks a little better, but we still have those two tough road games I'm worried about.  I still think we stink on the road which means we're going 8-8 at best unless we can unearth a win on the road.  At this point you almost have to root for Cincy to have the division locked up by week 17 -- maybe they will roll over for us or at least bench their starters.

14)  I was going to add something here but I forgot.

15)  This has gone on long enough.

16)  Oh yea, I remember!  I am going to start a movement, called E.A.S.E. (Escalators At the Stadium for Everyone).  The fact that our stadium doesn't have escalators leading to the 500 level is absurd.  Have you ever actually walked up all those steps to the top?  Unless you're Body by Jake it's a freaking haul!

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Chris B and 3 others like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

LOL @ EASE. Yes, please, let's get that done. We punted once. Glad to hear there weren't a ton of Stillers fans. And I also thought it was very interesting for the board operator to show the play, they've definitely shied away from that at the stadium in the past.

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

NFL is, obviously, reviewing Mike Tomlin's sideline antics/interference with Jacoby Jones from last night.

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm not sure what the penalty should be, but I was actually more upset about it this morning than I was last night.

I am too. This is the Steelers MO under Tomlin. You see why. The cheapshots, the dirty hits over the years. This has all been encouraged.

I complain about Harbaugh a lot, but the one thing I truly believe is that he encourages integrity and doesn't want the game to be dirty. Intensity, yes. He's a fierce competitor. I believe when it comes to the Steelers he's saying stuff like hit so and so as hard as you can within the rules.  I don't believe that's the case with Tomlin or a number of coaches around the league to be honest. Many will cut corners and take cheapshots.

#54 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

That was one of the best non-playoff games I have been to and I am a season ticket holder since 96.  Flacco was awesome and this game really should have been a rout if not for a couple of close plays.  Torrey has to make that catch on the 5 and if he does, the game is over because the Ravens score a TD, no question.  Oh and Tomlin is a POS.

#55 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

LOLed at 12.

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

LOLed at 12.

It's a good idea. I'm going to the New England game too and if it's anything like the last NE game I went to (the year they went 18-1), I'll be sneaking in some liquor too.

#57 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

It's a good idea. I'm going to the New England game too and if it's anything like the last NE game I went to (the year they went 18-1), I'll be sneaking in some liquor too.

The bnickle part got me. But yes, I will never question that idea. My dad got tickets from WBAL for that game too...we're hoping it's in their box like it has in the past.

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

The bnickle part got me. But yes, I will never question that idea. My dad got tickets from WBAL for that game too...we're hoping it's in their box like it has in the past.

oh-dear-someones-a-baller.jpg

• DJ MC likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#59 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Flacco shows again that he is a big game QB. The bigger the game the more I trust Joe. His best game all year IMO.

• JordanKough likes this

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Walk up the ramp, not the steps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users