Photo

Which bowl do you want to see the Terps in?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

National Football Post
Dec. 31 Independence (Shreveport): Maryland (ACC No. 7) vs. *Arizona (SEC No. 10)

Sports Illustrated
Military Bowl vs. Middle Tennessee

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

You don't want a game against Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Texas State... even Marshall.

You win that game, nobody cares... you lose that game, and it feels like a bad loss.

Win the next 2 games, and hopefully get a BCS name opponent somewhere.

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

You don't want a game against Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Texas State... even Marshall.

You win that game, nobody cares... you lose that game, and it feels like a bad loss.

Is winning a bowl game vs. a nobody better than losing vs. a BCS name opponent?

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,532 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

I think they are pretty close. If getting to a bowl, and getting the additional practice time is the primary benefit, the 2nd major benefit is additional exposure...slightly more exposure for a larger opponent.. but you are right, probably not enough to matter much either way. 

If you do you win a bowl, get to spend the off-season... "We're coming off a bowl victory."  That's a good thing.

Guess overall, if we win the next 2... I'd just like to see us play the best team possible. I'd be fairly interested to see MD vs. Arizona or Houston.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Great question. I see both sides of this argument. I'd rather play a brand name if possible.

@levineps

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Big thing is they are almost definitely going to a bowl game, just a few days ago we weren't so sure. If they play a lousy opponent in a lousy bowl in a lousy destination so be it. Obviously winning should only help, but I don't think the perception has changed from 2010 when they couldn't do better than MIlitary. I don't think we're in a position to complain about our bowl situation right now. If we win the final two games that might change.

@levineps

#47 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Why haven't they made an honorary Manute Bowl this year?

RIP dude

@fuzydunlop

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Baltimore Sun: Terps say it's too early to talk bowls, but at least 2 are interested in them

http://www.baltimore...0,1172667.story

@levineps

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

Maryland in the Heart of Dallas Bowl? (CBS Sports)

@levineps

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hey, that's a New Years Day bowl! :P

@DJ_McCann

#51 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,366 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

That'd be cool. At least they'd get to play in the Cotton Bowl, which is a really neat stadium. And it would basically be a home game for Rice since they're in-state.

@BSLZackKiesel

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

Oregon's ugly loss yesterday all but guarantees that Clemson will get a BCS at-large bid if they beat South Carolina next week. Assuming that's the case, then I still think the Terps are a lock for the Military Bowl.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

Clemson's loss today combined with Syracuse's win, makes things interesting for the ACC's bowl selection, since there are now 11 eligible teams for 9 guaranteed bowls. I think Clemson will still get an at-large BCS bid so long as FSU ends up in the national championship game, so that probably means just one ACC team won't get selected for the conference's bowls. Still, I'd almost bet the farm that the Military Bowl will not pass on the Terps if they are available.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#54 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

I find the whole "6-wins=bowl eligibility" thing ludicrous and shameful. Rewarding such mediocrity is nothing but a money grab, and sends a poor message. It's reminiscent of passing a student with a "D" average. On top of it, it degrades the meaning of earning a bowl invitation. That used to mean something... no longer however. Forgive the rant, but I have no desire to watch 6-5 State vs 6-6 Tech in the Tough Actin Tinactin Antifungal Bowl. LOL

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,713 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

but I have no desire to watch 6-5 State vs 6-6 Tech in the Tough Actin Tinactin Antifungal Bowl

So, uh, don't watch.

What is it with people thinking they're making some groundbreaking point about there being too many bowls and making up some cute, unfunny, fake bowl name?

No offense, Greg, because it's not just you.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#56 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

So, uh, don't watch.

What is it with people thinking they're making some groundbreaking point about there being too many bowls and making up some cute, unfunny, fake bowl name?

No offense, Greg, because it's not just you.

Uh, sorry to have bothered you with a rare rant point, okay Pedro? Groundbreaking, really? Wow. This reaction is just a bit overboard. No offense.

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

I find the whole "6-wins=bowl eligibility" thing ludicrous and shameful. Rewarding such mediocrity is nothing but a money grab, and sends a poor message. It's reminiscent of passing a student with a "D" average. On top of it, it degrades the meaning of earning a bowl invitation. That used to mean something... no longer however. Forgive the rant, but I have no desire to watch 6-5 State vs 6-6 Tech in the Tough Actin Tinactin Antifungal Bowl. LOL

Is 7 wins that much better? (coaches who get to a 7 win season still get fired in many cases) There's 35 bowls now, how many bowls do you want to see? (Guessing the answer will be just enough so MD is still guaranteed a bowl). Right now, you have one meaningful game and the rest essentially glorified exhibitions, next year you'll have three games that matter.

@levineps

#58 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Is 7 wins that much better? (coaches who get to a 7 win season still get fired in many cases) There's 35 bowls now, how many bowls do you want to see? (Guessing the answer will be just enough so MD is still guaranteed a bowl). Right now, you have one meaningful game and the rest essentially glorified exhibitions, next year you'll have three games that matter.

Seven is one better, so yeah. No, it isn't great, but it's at least worthy of some reward. I find the 35 or so bowls too much as is, but obviously it's not going to change.

(Guessing the answer will be just enough so MD is still guaranteed a bowl).

You guess? This is a silly thing to say... and wrong. 

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Seven is one better, so yeah. No, it isn't great, but it's at least worthy of some reward. I find the 35 or so bowls too much as is, but obviously it's not going to change.

You guess? This is a silly thing to say... and wrong. 

You didn't give an answer here with how many bowls you think there should be (besides saying 35 was ridiculous) and I have a hard time thinking you'd be making this statement if Maryland had lost yesterday. The question the timing of this rant.

@levineps

#60 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

You didn't give an answer here with how many bowls you think there should be (besides saying 35 was ridiculous) and I have a hard time thinking you'd be making this statement if Maryland had lost yesterday. The question the timing of this rant.

My apologies that I haven't researched every bowl game and tie-in and made a split-second determination of EXACTLY how many bowls I feel are warranted. I would say about 25'ish- if you so need "an answer". Your insistence in adding Maryland to the point is just wrong. Maryland has ZERO to do with my comments. People who know me know that I've felt this way forever, well before Maryland became bowl eligible. You brought MD into the conversation, not me. Besides, you're simply wrong about that, regardless whether you question it or have a hard time with it. Let's drop it... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=