Photo

Which bowl do you want to see the Terps in?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

I see both sides of the preferring Shreveport or Annapolis. From a purely playing perspective, I'd prefer Shreveport, more of a bowl atmosphere, instead of staying home. I think they're probably headed to the Military Bowl, I'd prefer to go elsewhere if given the opportunity.

I do recall that despite their initial disappointment, the Terps players enjoyed their Military Bowl experience. They got a personal tour of the White House and went to a Wizards game....the sort of things that you always take for granted that you'll do because you live close by, but for whatever reason you simply never get around to. Not sure what they'd do special in Annapolis....it would be great in the summer, with water-based activities, but late December I'm not so sure.

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

I do recall that despite their initial disappointment, the Terps players enjoyed their Military Bowl experience. They got a personal tour of the White House and went to a Wizards game....the sort of things that you always take for granted that you'll do because you live close by, but for whatever reason you simply never get around to. Not sure what they'd do special in Annapolis....it would be great in the summer, with water-based activities, but late December I'm not so sure.

I'm sure it beat not going to a bowl, but I don't think they would've chosen over some of other options they thought they were going to have.

@levineps

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

I'm sure it beat not going to a bowl, but I don't think they would've chosen over some of other options they thought they were going to have.

End of the day, as a fan of the program, I just care about the extra practices and using it as a springboard for next season. As a player, yeah, I'd be disappointed with a bowl game that is little more than a bus ride....but like you said, it's better than nothing, and I'm sure there will be some activities they'll enjoy. And most of all, it's one more chance to play a football game when they would otherwise be watching everyone else play on TV. It's a no-lose situation.

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

For those curious, as of this very moment, 6 more teams need to reach eligibility in order to avoid a Bowlpocalypse (credit to Patrick Stevens for that term). One more team can still achieve eligibility tonight, that being San Diego State, which is currently losing 21-14 to winless Hawaii.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,528 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

CBS Sports: Bowl Projections
http://www.cbssports...wls/predictions

Military Bowl vs. North Texas

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,528 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

SB Nation: Updated Bowl Projections
http://www.sbnation....a-florida-state

Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Arizona  Jan 1st...

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

The Military Bowl passing up MD for UNC? Nah, I doubt it.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Can't complain too much because a bowl wasn't a certainty until yesterday (and still not technically). That said, I'd definitely prefer this (or any other bowl) to the Military if possible.

@levineps

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

For selfish reasons I'd like them to go to the Military Bowl.  I wouldn't rule out attending any bowl game but obviously during the holiday season it's tougher to find the funds/time to travel to a place like Shreveport.

At that point, I'd rather they go to Nashville.  Seems like there's more to do.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,528 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

ESPN: Bowl Projections
http://espn.go.com/c...wls/projections

Mark Schlabach
Military Bowl vs. Marshall

Brad Edwards
AdvoCare V100 vs.Texas State

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,528 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

College Football News.com
http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html

Sat, Dec 28 3:20 pm ESPN
Belk Bowl
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC
AAC No. 3 vs. ACC No. 5

Projected Matchup: Houston vs. Maryland

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I wonder if the ACC will try to make sure MD is the last bowl team picked? (or not picked at all if there are more eligible teams than slots, which while unlikely is mathematically possible) After all, I can't imagine the rest of the conference would be thrilled with them getting one of the more attractive games in their ACC Football swan song.

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I wonder if the ACC will try to make sure MD is the last bowl team picked? (or not picked at all if there are more eligible teams than slots, which while unlikely is mathematically possible) After all, I can't imagine the rest of the conference would be thrilled with them getting one of the more attractive games in their ACC Football swan song.

Doubt they're getting an attractive bowl game in the first place, they couldn't get one in Friedgen's last year. Not expecting that this year.

@levineps

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

Doubt they're getting an attractive bowl game in the first place, they couldn't get one in Friedgen's last year. Not expecting that this year.

I agree, just wondering if it actually came to that what the ACC would do. Contractually I doubt they can force a bowl committee not to pick a certain team. But there's nothing stopping John Swofford from picking up the phone to call the bowl chief and say "If you invite UNC instead of MD, we'll promise to sell 18,000 tickets instead of 15,000."

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

Couldn't the B1G help us out if that were the case?

@bopper33

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

Couldn't the B1G help us out if that were the case?

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but yes. It looks highly unlikely they will fill all of their 8 bowl slots, so if UM gets left out by the ACC's bowls, I'm willing to bet the B1G will ask their #8 bowl partner to pick UM. And for those wondering, that would be the Little Caesars Bowl, played in the vacation wonderland known as Detroit, Michigan.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but yes. It looks highly unlikely they will fill all of their 8 bowl slots, so if UM gets left out by the ACC's bowls, I'm willing to bet the B1G will ask their #8 bowl partner to pick UM. And for those wondering, that would be the Little Caesars Bowl, played in the vacation wonderland known as Detroit, Michigan.

That's one destination, I'd probably prefer the Military Bowl to.

@levineps

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Detroit: come for the football, stay for the Little Caesar's.

@bopper33

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

That's one destination, I'd probably prefer the Military Bowl to.

Well, I think the B1G's association with that bowl will continue through the next 6-year cycle (though the sponsor name will change I think), so Terps fans who travel to bowl games might want to sign up for the frequent guest program at one of the hotels in Motown. Of course, that would at least mean they are regular bowl participants, so it could be worse.

Just keep saying to yourself "it's all about those 15 extra practices" as you freeze your ass off while waiting 50 minutes for the police to respond to your 911 call.  :wink:

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well, I think the B1G's association with that bowl will continue through the next 6-year cycle (though the sponsor name will change I think), so Terps fans who travel to bowl games might want to sign up for the frequent guest program at one of the hotels in Motown. Of course, that would at least mean they are regular bowl participants, so it could be worse.

Just keep saying to yourself "it's all about those 15 extra practices" as you freeze your ass off while waiting 50 minutes for the police to respond to your 911 call.  :wink:

I'm sure the 15 extra practices will lose it's luster if they can't make it out of the lower tiered bowl games, but I'm happy with just a bowl at this point for that reason.

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=