Photo

BSL: Baltimore loses in Cleveland; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

As big a loss as Pitta was, would anything be different if he were still 100% healthy?

Not much. Joe has really found a groove with Brown. I think a lot of his targets would've been going to Pitta.

I didn't understand the people thinking Pitta would've made a 1 or 2 game difference in the standings. It's all about the Oline. Last time I checked he's not on the OL.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Not much. Joe has really found a groove with Brown. I think a lot of his targets would've been going to Pitta.

I didn't understand the people thinking Pitta would've made a 1 or 2 game difference in the standings. It's all about the Oline. Last time I checked he's not on the OL.

I think the biggest area he would have helped is the red zone offense, which with as many games as we've lost late and close, could have helped us. But at the end of the day, I tend to agree with you after thinking about it... the line is just horrendous, and has basically ruined this season for all intents and purposes. 

Harbaugh just can't give full autonomy to his coaches any more. He has to be more involved in the minutia. It's unreal that he obviously didn't learn from the Cam Cameron saga.

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think the biggest area he would have helped is the red zone offense, which with as many games as we've lost late and close, could have helped us. But at the end of the day, I tend to agree with you after thinking about it... the line is just horrendous, and has basically ruined this season for all intents and purposes. 

Harbaugh just can't give full autonomy to his coaches any more. He has to be more involved in the minutia. It's unreal that he obviously didn't learn from the Cam Cameron saga.

Brown had what 5 TDs now. I think its safe to say he doesn't have 5 if Pitta is healthy. Im not saying Pitta wouldn't make us a better team, but as you say, it wouldn't have overcome the OL and made a difference in the standings.

I mean it's shocking how bad the running game is. Shocking. I mean I know Brady and Rodgers had some teams with some poor RBs a few times but have they really had RBs who averaged  under 3 YPC.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, I think Brown has absorbed some touches from Pitta as well as Boldin, but yeah, I agree, he likely has a little less with Pitta in there. Either way, we agree.

#25 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

We're playing for draft position now, yes?

@fuzydunlop

#26 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

In my world yes, but you know the players can't do that. We have some bad teams left on the schedule. I think 6 or 7 wins to end the year.

I'm not ashamed to say Im rooting for draft position. This team still has talent overall. One elite player and an OL overhaul/ getting healthy should make them a playoff team in '14. I can take a bad year after our 5 year run with a SB title

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Eh, we actually aren't any further out of winning the division now than we were heading into the week (before Cincinnati's loss).  We still could beat them twice and have a shot at the division.

However, I think this loss is the most crippling of the season in terms of how much it impacts optimism.  While the situation isn't really any worse for the division than it looked after last week, I think the outlook on the team has to be much worse.  We really needed to use the bye week as a turning point and come out and play well, get the win, and then have a great chance at getting back into the race next week against Cincy.  Obviously that didn't happen, they looked awful in the first half and the defense tired late in the game and couldn't get the stops we needed once the offense finally woke up a bit (or at least the passing game, running game still did zero all day).

I think the offensive line is a really debilitating unit.  It's struggles impact everything.  I don't think this is a bad team that just has bad talent across the board.  Or even an average team with average talent across the board.  I think at the core we have good talent that can compete, but the horrid play of the offensive line just decimates the team's entire plan.  We can't run the ball, and even when we finally abandon the run and start throwing, they can't protect Joe enough to pull it out.

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Eh, we actually aren't any further out of winning the division now than we were heading into the week (before Cincinnati's loss).  We still could beat them twice and have a shot at the division.

However, I think this loss is the most crippling of the season in terms of how much it impacts optimism.  While the situation isn't really any worse for the division than it looked after last week, I think the outlook on the team has to be much worse.  We really needed to use the bye week as a turning point and come out and play well, get the win, and then have a great chance at getting back into the race next week against Cincy.  Obviously that didn't happen, they looked awful in the first half and the defense tired late in the game and couldn't get the stops we needed once the offense finally woke up a bit (or at least the passing game, running game still did zero all day).

I think the offensive line is a really debilitating unit.  It's struggles impact everything.  I don't think this is a bad team that just has bad talent across the board.  Or even an average team with average talent across the board.  I think at the core we have good talent that can compete, but the horrid play of the offensive line just decimates the team's entire plan.  We can't run the ball, and even when we finally abandon the run and start throwing, they can't protect Joe enough to pull it out.

if this isn't a slap in the face to those who thought we had a chance I don't know what else this team can do to prove it.

As we talked about above, you are right, this isn't a team with poor or even mediocre talent across the board but the OL is clearly bad enough to bring down the whole team.

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

I don't know which is sadder: losing to the Browns for the first time since 2007, or the Browns not being able to beat the Ravens in the Flacco-Harbaugh era before today.

@DJ_McCann

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

if this isn't a slap in the face to those who thought we had a chance I don't know what else this team can do to prove it.

As we talked about above, you are right, this isn't a team with poor or even mediocre talent across the board but the OL is clearly bad enough to bring down the whole team.

Things can change fast in this league, though.  I don't think they'll do it, but if the offensive line plays better, we're not a bad team, IMO.  I would agree with you that 7 wins seems like the most likely outcome at this point, but if we get solid line play I think we could perform like most expected this year, and if we get a few breaks on top of that, maybe we can go 6-2 or something and have a shot at winning the North.  Obviously that's a real long shot, and I don't think the line will turn itself around, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world.  I certainly don't expect that to happen or even to play well enough to keep any longshot hopes alive late into the season, but I'm gonna keep watching.

#31 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

I just think you are banging your head against the wall thinking somehow we're magically going to get decent OL play. In theory, I don't disagree about making a run. Realistically, I just can't see this OL jumping from atrocious to passable.

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

I thought if our O-Line were to transform in-season, it would have been after the bye week. In reality, I thought they were worst today than they were against Pittsburgh (granted Cleveland's front is better than Pittsburgh's).

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

I'll say this, under no circumstances should Pitta return this season. I know they why they won't, but they should go ahead and just IR him right now. For several reasons it would be of no benefit to the Ravens for him to return.

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

By now the Ravens postgame videos should be up on raven.com

Let me go watch Harbaugh be snide and say something really stupid. BTW...does that guy ever personally take responsibility. He'll say we a lot, but I never hear him say I.

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Also, hats off to Chris, Mike, Matt, Dan, Chris Worthington, K.V.V., Lance, Rob, Mike, etc. who have to cover this team this week on the debut of BSL Radio. That's gotta suck, with all the issues this team has right now - but I have no doubt you'll still do a good job.

Good or bad, covering my favorite team doesn't suck one bit. I know those guys will do a great job. Can't wait to tune in tomorrow

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Good or bad, covering my favorite team doesn't suck one bit. I know those guys will do a great job. Can't wait to tune in tomorrow

Good perspective. Glad you think of it that way. I'd be a little bitter to have to talk about it right away like that.

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'll say this, under no circumstances should Pitta return this season. I know they why they won't, but they should go ahead and just IR him right now. For several reasons it would be of no benefit to the Ravens for him to return.

We discussed this on the show tonight. I don't think it benefits the Ravens at all to play him because he could get hurt again, or prove his worth and another team offer more money than we can. 

However, if he can play, and they don't play him, it could create tension and his agent could take Pitta's services elsewhere. It'll be interesting to follow a few more weeks from now

@BSLMikeRandall

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Good perspective. Glad you think of it that way. I'd be a little bitter to have to talk about it right away like that.

Yeah. I got all the four letter words out of my system before going on. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Oriole85 like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Good luck getting me to listen to Weber bragging about his boy. Again, lets hope Cle thinks Campbell is the longterm answer or he plays just well enough to knock them out of the Top 10 and a chance at an elite QB prospect.

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Good luck getting me to listen to Weber bragging about his boy. Again, lets hope Cle thinks Campbell is the longterm answer or he plays just well enough to knock them out of the Top 10 and a chance at an elite QB prospect.

If they have two first round picks after trading Richardson, they'll probably trade up to whatever it takes to get the top QB
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=