Photo

BSL: Baltimore loses in Cleveland; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

BSL: Baltimore loses in Cleveland; What did we see?
http://baltimorespor...-cleveland-see/

The Baltimore Ravens lost 24-18 in Cleveland today. With the loss, the Ravens fall to 3-5 overall.

What did we see?

1) Coming off the bye, this figures to be as healthy as Baltimore looks the rest of the way. You'd also expected to see noticeable scheme changes after bye week reflection. There was hope those changes, and the extra preparation time you had for the Browns; would have shown today in Cleveland. Instead you saw a typical AFC North Divisional game - where everything is a fight. As ugly as the 1st half was, Baltimore was able to go the locker-room down just 4. In the 2nd half, the Ravens were able to give themselves opportunities, but were not able to get over the hump.

2) This was a crippling loss. Baltimore falls to 3-5 on the year, and it is hard to imagine the Ravens getting past this. More to the point, if you were not able to win this game - coming after the bye, with extra time to prepare - that is pretty telling.

2a) I think the talent of the Ravens roster overall is pretty good. It's not good enough to get past the poor play from the O-line, and the resulting non-existing rushing offense.
3) The offensive line play continued to be poor, and this obviously impacted both the offense as a whole. Still, it would be unfair to the O-line to blame all of Flacco's poor play in the 1st half on them. The QB made a number of poor throws on his own.

4) On Cleveland's 2nd series, Elam was called for Pass Interference, and Webb was beat by Gordon for a big gain; biting on play action. After J. Smith came up with a nice play on 3rd and Goal vs. Ogbonnaya, the Browns would convert on 4th down - as Bess would grab a 1 yard TD.

5) The Ravens got on the move on their 2nd series. The drive started with Thompson getting involved with a couple of catches. On 3rd and 7, Doss gained 23 yards to the Browns 28. As CBS Sports's Solomon Wilcots was describing, Flacco was reading the defenders in the box, and checking to the run when appropriate. On 3rd and 6, Oher was beat by Quentin Groves for a 9 yard loss. This forced a FG attempt from Tucker, who converted from 51 yards out. This made it 7-3 Cleveland.

6) Ngata was called for unnecessary roughness penalty late in the 1st Quarter, temporarily knocking Campbell from the game. Another play which seems to be a football play, and you are left wondering what the NFL wants these defenders to do? (Especially guys as big as Ngata, who are asked to stop on a dime.)

7) Jeromy Miles had a good ST tackle, on the Ravens first punt of the 2nd Quarter. Despite that, the Browns still had good field position. They would march down the field, with Campbell finding Bess for a 2nd Browns TD. Bess made Webb miss in the open field, on his way to the end zone.  9 plays, 53 years, in just under 4 minutes put the Browns up 14-3.

8) Ihedigbo came up with a needed turnover, with about 8 mts left in the 2nd Quarter. This gave the Ravens possession in Cleveland territory. The Ravens would not take advantage of the turnover though, going 3 and out - and not being helped by a penalty on Oher.

9) Haden's interception came on a horribly under thrown ball from Flacco.

10) Daryl Smith had a big 3rd down sack late in the 1st half, getting the ball back to the Ravens. Baltimore would take advantage here, with Flacco and Smith connecting for a 46 yard completion. With 15 seconds left, Flacco found Marlon Brown for a score. Great adjustment from Brown after the catch to find the end zone.

11) The Ravens had the ball to start the 2nd half. Rice did a good job picking up the blitz on 3rd and 12, and Flacco ran for the 1st himself.

12) Doss's muffed PR in the 3rd Quarter gave the Browns the ball at the Baltimore 11. They immediately cashed in, giving Cleveland the 21-10 lead with 5+ minutes left in the Quarter.

13) Facing 4th and 1 (at midfield), with around 2 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter; the Ravens elected to punt.

14) Webb and Graham had good open field tackles on back-to-back plays to end the 3rd Quarter. This set up a Browns punt as the 4th began. Doss had a good return here, taking the ball 36 yards to the Cleveland 32. Brown would score to make it 21-16, and then also gained the 2 point conversion to pull the Ravens within 3. Brown also made a play to start the drive, gaining additional yardage after the catch.

15) Facing 4th and inches insider their own territory, the Ravens went for it. I was surprised a bit by the call, as there was still 9 minutes left in the game, and the Ravens were just down 3. Flacco was able to be pushed forward, and Baltimore gained a new set of downs.

16) Horrible punt from Koch in the 4th.

17) Ngata made a big 3rd and 1 stop, but the Browns were able to pick up another 1st on 4th down. Cleveland started their last drive at their 29, with 6:44 left. They would march on down the field, rolling clock, and kicking a FG to make it 24-18 with just 14 seconds remaining.

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

We suck but at least Pittsburgh sucks too.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

How long before we can just go ahead and admit to ourselves that this is a bad football team?

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Wow...two franchises going in opposite directions...

No, we'll bounce back. We aren't a franchise in reverse. Not long term at least. Ricker is right Harbaugh let this season get away. Ozzie had a pretty bad offseason too but there are still pieces here.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Steelers suck this year....why do we have to suck with them?

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Harbs continues to not understand how leadership works. Your locker room isn't going to trust you if you continue to allow things to happen to this team from your coordinators that puts you behind the 8-ball. Castillo is deserving of blame, but ultimately, it's Harbs lack of leadership. He can talk about it, but he often fails to live it.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

How long before we can just go ahead and admit to ourselves that this is a bad football team?

I'll admit it now. Bnickle and BaltBird had it right during the game, I was wrong. Expected the Ravens to look better today. Expected them to look better after half-time. Neither happened.

Can't get past the O-line, and lack of the running game.

Crippling loss.

I do think there is good talent on the roster though, which makes those issues even more annoying.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'll admit it now. Bnickle and BaltBird had it right during the game, I was wrong. Expected the Ravens to look better today. Expected them to look better after half-time. Neither happened.

Can't get past the O-line, and lack of the running game.

Crippling loss.

I think most expected it. This team has gone against the trend on numerous occasions this year... Lost after a bye, lost to Cleveland... lost 3 in a row (all divisional games). What logic tells you - we should start expecting the opposite with this team.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

For a team that has a lot of sacks, they don't get enough pressure on the QB. Too much time to throw.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

For a team that has a lot of sacks, they don't get enough pressure on the QB. Too much time to throw.

I bet very few of those sacks have come in the 4th Qtr. That is when they really struggle to get pressure. Of course because of the terrible offense the defense has usually been on the field a long time by that point.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Well, it's time to live in a past a bit to cheer myself up. Can't take anything away from this:

20131103_194511_zpsa0890b08.jpg

• Mike in STL likes this

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

We're just soft. I saw that in preseason and was jumped on. Was hoping we could find a way but I knew it was a lot of hope.

As mad as I was at Flacco for the first 20 min of the game, he was the only reason we had a chance the last 40 min. Made a lot of plays out of nothing. The problem is, we need him to be playing at at least a B+ level to win games. He can't have 20 min bad stretches in a game like he could in other years.

That's the difference between him and the elite QBS. But its why he's in the same category but all but the elite Qbs. Look at the QBs who are/were considered to be elite QBs at one time who's teams are struggling this year. Ben, Eli, Matt Ryan. That's why there is still a big gap between a Peyton, Rodgers, Brady in his prime and everyone else.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

I really do feel like the Ravens have much better talent than their record indicates, but the offensive line is so horrible that it's really just crippling everything about this entire team.

Rice and Pierce can't be that horrible week in and week out. I have to think the blame is entirely on the line. Sadly, there's not much room for improvment there.

We should bite the bullett, go young, and hope for a 4-12, 5-11 type season and get that high pick.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Also, hats off to Chris, Mike, Matt, Dan, Chris Worthington, K.V.V., Lance, Rob, Mike, etc. who have to cover this team this week on the debut of BSL Radio. That's gotta suck, with all the issues this team has right now - but I have no doubt you'll still do a good job.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

BTW...still another 1 possession loss. As bad as things are it tells me two things.

A. As Rob and I and now Ricker has jumped on board too said, the margin of error is thin. Too many game mangament mistakes and poor  coaching that are making the difference.

B. The positive is it tells me we still have talent and are just a retooling away from being good again. Someone said it was two franchises going in different directions. Completely disagree. At least long term I disagree. We should be able to retool, coach better(maybe...pray) and be back to being a good team next year.

Make no mistake though, this year is lost. It'll be interesting to see how Harbaugh keeps this team together. This is officially the lowest point of his career. Even worse than the near mutiny last year.

#16 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

I usually don't have much to say after a pathetic loss, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm usually a very optimistic person, especially when it comes to Ravens, but I'm not seeing much this year with this team. The Ravens should be embarrassed with their performance today (actually, most of this season), especially after having 2 weeks to prepare for the Browns.
@MKlein76

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

I really do feel like the Ravens have much better talent than their record indicates, but the offensive line is so horrible that it's really just crippling everything about this entire team.

Rice and Pierce can't be that horrible week in and week out. I have to think the blame is entirely on the line. Sadly, there's not much room for improvment there.

We should bite the bullett, go young, and hope for a 4-12, 5-11 type season and get that high pick.

Ricker said it in the game thread. It's one unit, or 5 guys, bringing down the whole team and season. now the question is, how much of that is Castillo. Obviously not all his fault, but surely some of it.

That's not to say there isn't other issues. We aren't getting a consistent pass rush, the secondary is mediocre, Rice has clearly lost a step. Still, the talent overall outside of the Oline is good enough to win this division.

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

As big a loss as Pitta was, would anything be different if he were still 100% healthy?

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ricker said it in the game thread. It's one unit, or 5 guys, bringing down the whole team and season. now the question is, how much of that is Castillo. Obviously not all his fault, but surely some of it.

That's not to say there isn't other issues. We aren't getting a consistent pass rush, the secondary is mediocre, Rice has clearly lost a step. Still, the talent overall outside of the Oline is good enough to win this division.

Amazing to think that, aside from Birk retiring and Gradkowski taking over, that this is the same line from the playoffs last season.

I guess KO was never healthy. Yanda has to be hurt or else I can't think of how he could get this bad this fast. McKinnie got lazy and reverted to McKinnie. We know about Gradkowski massive struggles.

Oh how things have changed.

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

BTW....3rd straight week the defense either didn't get off the field late or gave up a game winning drive to the opposition. So as much as the offense is to blame, the defense has failed at crucial times too.

• BaltBird 24 and BSLMattJergensen like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=