#61 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

I like this risk for Toronto. Assuming health and a willingness by Kawhi to actually play for the Raptors. He's a big upgrade over DeRozan and puts them at the edge of title contention. Again, if healthy and committed.

Then who knows, if things go well, maybe he stays just like George did with OKC.

This is also better for the Lakers than if he had gone to Boston or Philly.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

I like this risk for Toronto. Assuming health and a willingness by Kawhi to actually play for the Raptors. He's a big upgrade over DeRozan and puts them at the edge of title contention. Again, if healthy and committed.

Then who knows, if things go well, maybe he stays just like George did with OKC.

This is also better for the Lakers than if he had gone to Boston or Philly.

And if he doesn't stay, they will have cap room.

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

Green is helpful for this next season as well.

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Conversely, I don't like this deal for San Antonio. I mean they'll remain competitive, but won't be a true threat, so I think they should have gone younger.

#65 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

Conversely, I don't like this deal for San Antonio. I mean they'll remain competitive, but won't be a true threat, so I think they should have gone younger.

I think DeRozan could really do well with Pop.

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

I think DeRozan could really do well with Pop.

Perhaps, but he's not nearly as good of a player as the one he's replacing.

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

It’s a great move for Toronto. DeRozan is ok but I think he’s overrated. He can be the second or third piece and that’s valuable but I think SA needed young pieces and picks.

Now, if they can flip DD elsewhere, that would be good.

#68 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Could Toronto flip him to LA? Would that be totally nuts? 

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

SI: Kawhi Leonard Reportedly Doesn't Want to Play for Raptors, Considering Sitting Out

#70 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

I mean if you were Toronto and you can now flip him directly to LA and you can get say Ingram, Ball, and Hart, do you jump all over that? Are you at that point just better anyway with the addition of Green than you were with DeRozan? 

You had to know when you traded for Kwahi there was a chance he'd never play for you. 

#71 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

I mean if you were Toronto and you can now flip him directly to LA and you can get say Ingram, Ball, and Hart, do you jump all over that? Are you at that point just better anyway with the addition of Green than you were with DeRozan? 

You had to know when you traded for Kwahi there was a chance he'd never play for you. 

Yea, I don't get why you wouldn't do this if you are Toronto.  

Even if Kawhi wanted to play there, what are you gaining?  I think getting rid of DD and his contract is a huge plus but you still don't have much long term and you are no better than the third team in the East WITH Kawhi.  Just trade him.

#72 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

The Raptors have some good pieces for now and later. This is a very deep and talented team if Kawhi is healthy and engaged. The Celtics are the favorite in the East, but again if those ifs come to fruition, this makes the Raptors the 2nd best team in the East imo.

Also, if the Lakers were willing to give up all that, Kawhi would very likely be a Laker right now.

#73 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

If the Lakers can manage to hold onto Kuzma, I'd pull the trigger on this. 

I got the feeling that the Spurs didn't actively engage with the Lakers and as a result they never go the best deal. But either way, Toronto should be on the phone with the Lakers right now and seeing if they can find a way to extract some young talent.

What if it was just Ingram and Ball and a 1st (unprotected). You still keep Hart and Kuzma. I don't know...if Kwahi is serious about never playing there...

That's cheaper and way younger than DeRozan who appeared capped out on his contributions for Toronto. 

Then again, I just moved to LA so maybe I desperately am interested in seeing Kwahi and Lebron team up, lol. 

#74 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:49 PM

What if they could get Ingram for Kwahi alone? I mean the Raptors could never have gotten Ingram for DeRozan and a top 20 protected 1st. I mean it just feels like there is surplus value here for the Raptors no matter what.

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

Wonder if the Raptors are interested in Ball? The Spurs weren’t. If the Raptors are, that would be glorious.

#76 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

The Spurs did actively engage the Lakers in trade talks. The Lakers refused to include Ingram, so there's no reason to think they'll deal him to Toronto. Plus, the math of a deal doesn't work after everything the Lakers did unless the Raptors are willing to take on Deng.

The Raptors need to do their best to get Kawhi to be willing and motivated to play for them. They have tons of leverage to do so. And if they can achieve that, this deal makes a lot of sense for them.

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

The Raptors need to do their best to get Kawhi to be willing and motivated to play for them. They have tons of leverage to do so. And if they can achieve that, this deal makes a lot of sense for them.

Nickle, where's all the Kawhi hate? Seriously, this is absolutely absurd that this is just openly accepted.

#78 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

The Spurs did actively engage the Lakers in trade talks. The Lakers refused to include Ingram, so there's no reason to think they'll deal him to Toronto. Plus, the math of a deal doesn't work after everything the Lakers did unless the Raptors are willing to take on Deng.

Agreed if Ingram isn't included there's no deal there. The Lakers get credit for having a plan and staying patient. There is zero chance Kwahi stays in Toronto. The only concern is they trade him somewhere else and he loves it there. Otherwise, they'll have a good crack at him. 

#79 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

Nickle, where's all the Kawhi hate? Seriously, this is absolutely absurd that this is just openly accepted.

It’s amazing the change in perception of Kawhi from last year to right now.

He was like the perfect NBA superstar and now he looks like a typical NBA diva.

#80 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

Who is a true threat in the West though? I wouldn't even consider Houston at this point unless Steph or KD get hurt. 

San Antonio won like 47 games last year and made the playoffs, could have advanced if they hadn't played GS...and basically just added an All Star player in DeRozan. Remember, Kawhi only played 9 games last year.

Obviously they aren't title contenders but they can be a middle of the pack playoff team out West this year, and clearly they would rather do that than tear the team down. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=