bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I blame Kevin Anderson.

Me too.

Dez isn't a PG. Can't believe that is Plan A now. We are in more trouble than I realized unless Peters can step in sooner than expected.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Ugh. What the hell is in the water in College Park.

Yep. Just unreal. Here we go again.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

So....if they miss the tourney now, would you still label that as a failure, if that is what you would have labeled it before?

That's a great question.  I said before Allen's injury it would be a failure. 

I'd be less inclined to say so now, but would still worry that it would blunt some of the momentum that is growing with the program (mainly shown by the recruiting gains.. both of what is here, and what is coming in next year). Would also worry that it would impact the development of players currently on the roster this year.

Ahh well, exhibition opener (only exhibition) is Sunday. Gives them a chance to play one game with this current rotation.

Would think opening the year with UConn will be tough as MD makes this transition though. They will need to pull together by the time they go to the Paradise Jam, and win a couple of games (they still should) against RPI 100 caliber teams.

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

And Mackus is right. Allen was clearly the best creator on the team. That's the big blow.

He is also right that Howard would not have helped much, if at all. Just not  close to an ACC caliber player anymore.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

And Mackus is right. Allen was clearly the best creator on the team. That's the big blow.

He is also right that Howard would not have helped much, if at all. Just not  close to an ACC caliber player anymore.

You wouldn't have needed (or wanted) him to start, would just be nice to have some of his experience available for a few minutes.

Right now you are looking at a D3 transfer potentially getting that time. Yeah, I'll take Howard.

Also, we discussed Barton when  he was considering MD... I see CBS Sports ranked him as the best transfer in the country.

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

So....if they miss the tourney now, would you still label that as a failure, if that is what you would have labeled it before?

Not as much, but you can only take the injury excuse so far. If they miss the Tourney this year an entire class will have spent all four years without experiencing a single Tourney game. That's not good at Maryland.

@levineps

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Not as much, but you can only take the injury excuse so far. If they miss the Tourney this year an entire class will have spent all four years without experiencing a single Tourney game. That's not good at Maryland.

Almost irrelevant because there are no significant upperclassmen on the roster. Faust is the only one entering his 3rd year in the program. Everyone else on the roster is entering their 2nd year or less.

'13- '14 would be the 2nd year on Turge not making the tournament. '10-'11 and '11-'12 are completely on Gary Williams.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Almost irrelevant because there are no significant upperclassmen on the roster. Faust is the only one entering his 3rd year in the program. Everyone else on the roster is entering their 2nd year or less.

'13- '14 would be the 2nd year on Turge not making the tournament. '10-'11 and '11-'12 are completely on Gary Williams.

So by that measure is Edsall's first year on Ralph?

@levineps

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

So by that measure is Edsall's first year on Ralph?

In general I would always give a 1st year coach a lot of leeway working with his predecessors players and recruits. So Edsall gets some rope there for sure.

That said, Edsall had a really tough 1st year. We know of the issues and the eventual departures from the program. Things shouldn't have been that dysfunctional.

Also, Edsall was left with more talent than Turge. Turge only had like 6 or 7 scholarship players his first year.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

In general I would always give a 1st year coach a lot of leeway working with his predecessors players and recruits. So Edsall gets some rope there for sure.

That said, Edsall had a really tough 1st year. We know of the issues and the eventual departures from the program. Things shouldn't have been that dysfunctional.

Also, Edsall was left with more talent than Turge. Turge only had like 6 or 7 scholarship players his first year.

I really agree with the first part of what you said in terms of first-year coaches.

I'm just pointing out it's been a relatively long-time since they were a tourney team. And at some point, results matter and you can't just use the injury/youth excuse. Maybe that's not this year, but it would almost have to be next year regardless of circumstance.

@levineps

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

I blame Kevin Anderson.

That's just the most absurd thing I've ever read. No reasonable person could possibly blame Allen's injury on anyone other than Edsall.

• DJ MC likes this

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Oh, and I should also add.....F#@%!!!!!!!!!

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

And count me as not being a fan of Wells at PG. He's a scorer, and that should be his focus. I don't see how he's also going to run the offense and keep everyone else involved. I would have thought that if Peters isn't ready that Faust would be the logical choice.

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

And count me as not being a fan of Wells at PG. He's a scorer, and that should be his focus. I don't see how he's also going to run the offense and keep everyone else involved. I would have thought that if Peters isn't ready that Faust would be the logical choice.

Don't expect him to run the offense like a prototypical PG.  We didn't have that guy on the roster before, so I doubt we were basing the entire offense around Allen running the team like he was Eric Hayes and are now scrambling to find someone who can play similarly.

I think Wells at the PG spot is more of just having someone to bring the ball up, then having your 5 best players on the court as often as possible.  I expect to see Wells, Faust, Layman, Smotrycz and one of the big men starting.  Peters coming in for any of the first four, depending on if we want to continue to go big or small, and the other big also rotating in for most of the minutes, Dodd being the only other guy I can see getting consistent minutes, though his will certainly be limited.

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Don't expect him to run the offense like a prototypical PG.  We didn't have that guy on the roster before, so I doubt we were basing the entire offense around Allen running the team like he was Eric Hayes and are now scrambling to find someone who can play similarly.

I think Wells at the PG spot is more of just having someone to bring the ball up, then having your 5 best players on the court as often as possible.  I expect to see Wells, Faust, Layman, Smotrycz and one of the big men starting.  Peters coming in for any of the first four, depending on if we want to continue to go big or small, and the other big also rotating in for most of the minutes, Dodd being the only other guy I can see getting consistent minutes, though his will certainly be limited.

I just can't help but have visions of the same offense we saw in Turgeon's first season, simply replace Stoglin with Wells....only this time there will actually be other capable scorers on the floor who are left to stand and watch.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I just can't help but have visions of the same offense we saw in Turgeon's first season, simply replace Stoglin with Wells....only this time there will actually be other capable scorers on the floor who are left to stand and watch.

Wells isn't half as good of a pure scorer as Stoglin in the half-court, and the surrounding cast is light years ahead of what Stoglin was working with.  Wells isn't going to be taking 30% of our shots like Stoglin did, even with Allen out.  I do worry that nobody is going to be able to score consistently in the half court sets, and that would be the case even if Allen was healthy.

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

Wells isn't half as good of a pure scorer as Stoglin in the half-court, and the surrounding cast is light years ahead of what Stoglin was working with.  Wells isn't going to be taking 30% of our shots like Stoglin did, even with Allen out.  I do worry that nobody is going to be able to score consistently in the half court sets, and that would be the case even if Allen was healthy.

Right, I did make the point that the rest of the team is much better now than they were that first season. I'm just saying that might not matter as much if those guys can't get shots. Half-court offense was going to be a concern no matter what this season, but without Allen that concern just grows. And aside from being a score-first guy, Wells turns the ball over way too much to make him your primary ball-handler.

#38 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm not nearly as worried about Wells at the point. I agree that he won't be used as the prototypical PG, but then again the definition of point guard has changed greatly.

Player versatility is a huge part of today's college game and the skills you possess on the floor.Traditional lineups seem so old school now. Just look at UNC last season. When they went four guards with a post, Roy Williams' team flourished. Of course every team is different and MD will need to find the proper combinations on the floor while Allen in on the mend.

The concerns about Wells distributing the ball are valid as he often got into trouble by overpenetration and trying to do too much. He'll need to make some slight adjustments in his approach.

This is also where Turge comes in. He usually likes using a motion offense but as I said last season I think they need a few sets to go to in the half court to get players in position to score.

I agree that Allen's injury is a blow because he is excellent off the dribble and can drill the 3. But the season hasn't even begun yet, so let's see what develops over the next few weeks.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ugh....seriously, what gives with Terps sports and injuries this year??? 

It has been the last couple of years.

That said injuries happen.  Sucks because Allen was going to run the point and his scoring ability is needed.

I am one who always looks to see what chances it creates for others.  In this case I think it gives Roddy Peters a chance to grow before the ACC schedule.

Hopefully Peters grows into the role and when Allen returns he gets more time at the off guard where he can be a  Plus scorer.

Next man up Roddy, go get em kid.

@mikeghg

#40 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

The advantage of playing Wells at the point is the matchup problems it would creat.  Most point guards are not equipped physically in dealing with Wells.  The down side is him matching up with the quick PG's he would have to check.

I think he plays about 10-15 minutes and they force feed Peters.

@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=