• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,253 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

@GoodmanESPN: Maryland starting point guard Seth Allen will miss 8-10 weeks with a broken bone in his left foot.

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Ugh. What the hell is in the water in College Park.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Was just about to post this.

Katz reporting it too.

That sucks...He is an exciting player. 

Since he can't train on a broken foot, this means he really won't be much until late Jan/early Feb.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I yelled pretty loud here. Huge injury. You've asked Allen to run the offense, and he's prepared as such.

You miss his scoring, athleticism, and defense as well.

He misses all of the OOC schedule, and it forces Peters to do even more as a Freshman.

When Allen is ready, there will be the issue of working him back into the team.

Faust has not been getting time at the PG, I imagine that changes now.

Also think this means they use Layman more at the 3, (they can use Wells at the 2, with Faust getting time at the 1)... meaning you have Layman and Smotrycz on the floor at the same time.

Horrible injury, with the silver lining that it is not the entire season... but it will still have plenty of impact.

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

My goodness.  The sporting gods are not being kind to MD for leaving the ACC.

Silver lining is that this should get Peters some more minutes in the early portion of the schedule.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

The biggest question MD was facing before Allen's injury was PG play.

If it takes him until Feb 1st to be fully back, he'd only play in 10 games prior to the ACCT.

Ugh. Any chance of red-shirt here?

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

If it takes him until Feb 1st to be fully back, he'd only play in 10 games prior to the ACCT.

Unless they have no chance at the Tourney (once he's back), I'm not sure why you'd use it.

@levineps

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Unless they have no chance at the Tourney (once he's back), I'm not sure why you'd use it.

They will probably still be on the bubble when he comes back, but his absence is going to really impact their first 15-20 games (and overall resume). Then you have to decide if he can do enough in 10+ games to justify playing this year, or if it is better to have him around for another full season.

You are right, it is a decision to be made later... in-part by what is happening on the floor, and also by how his recovery goes.

Rob's point earlier was key though, no rehab during that time.

#9 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Ugh....seriously, what gives with Terps sports and injuries this year??? 

@brobey1

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,702 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'm so pissed right now.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#11 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...s-miss-10-weeks

Looks like Dez moves to the point with Peters as backup.

PG play is critical and with Allen out it will impact the development of the offense. It will be interesting to see how Wells is used in the offense and if Peters is ready for prime time.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Probably another 17-19 win season. Great.
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...s-miss-10-weeks

Looks like Dez moves to the point with Peters as backup.

PG play is critical and with Allen out it will impact the development of the offense. It will be interesting to see how Wells is used in the offense and if Peters is ready for prime time.

Thanks for the link Matt.  Pretty interesting that Wells be the PG. 

1 Wells

2 Faust

3 Layman

4 Smotrycz

5 Mitchell / Cleare

Mitchell / Cleare, Peters, Dodd.

Some people have been talking about Varun Ram now getting occasional minutes.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is where losing Howard, or not landing Barton as a transfer really sucks.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

I blame Kevin Anderson.

@DJ_McCann

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

No chance of a Redshirt.

Losing Howard doesn't hurt, in any circumstance.

Hopefully he can heal quickly and be ready to go by mid-January.  Should still get to play in the bulk of the meaningful games.  I don't really know how much this hurts the team in terms of point guard play.  Seth isn't a point guard anyways, so it's not like we would've seen amazing ballhandling and distribution from him.  I don't expect Dez or Peters to play like a traditional point either, and the lost depth definitely hurts as well.

I think this hurts the most because Seth was probably the best guy on the team at creating his own shot in the half-court set.  Wells and Faust are good on the break, but neither get by anybody on the dribble in the halfcourt.  Allen was the only guy on the team with that ability, not that he was amazing at it.  I expect lots of ugly shots at the end of shot clocks until he gets back, though I imagine we'll try to be more up-tempo and generate a decent look well before the last few ticks.  Not much offense just passing the ball around the top of the key waiting for someone to make a move.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

No chance of a Redshirt.

Hopefully he can heal quickly and be ready to go by mid-January.  Should still get to play in the bulk of the meaningful games.  I don't really know how much this hurts the team in terms of point guard play.  Seth isn't a point guard anyways, so it's not like we would've seen amazing ballhandling and distribution from him.  I don't expect Dez or Peters to play like a traditional point either, and the lost depth definitely hurts as well.

I think this hurts the most because Seth was probably the best guy on the team at creating his own shot in the half-court set.  Wells and Faust are good on the break, but neither get by anybody on the dribble in the halfcourt.  Allen was the only guy on the team with that ability, not that he was amazing at it.  I expect lots of ugly shots at the end of shot clocks until he gets back, though I imagine we'll try to be more up-tempo and generate a decent look well before the last few ticks.  Not much offense just passing the ball around the top of the key waiting for someone to make a move.

This is the key imo.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,500 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

No chance of a Redshirt.

Howard might have been their best on-ball defender last year.  (Turgeon's words, not mine.) He was certainly their best bet in running the team in a 1/2 court offense.

Right now you are going to take your best offensive weapon in Wells and ask him to run the offense. He was at his best with the ball in his hands down the stretch, but that was with him looking to create for himself... not for others. Is he going to be able to facilitate the offense?

Peters was always going to be important to this team, but now you are asking that much more out of a guy that just missed his Senior year of HS.

I'd love to have Howard right now.

Totally agree that losing Allen's ability to create his own shot is huge. Greatly changes this team.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

So....if they miss the tourney now, would you still label that as a failure, if that is what you would have labeled it before?

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

They probably weren't beating OSU or UCONN anyway.

I think the early BC game is the game that this hurts the most.

You don't expect them to win in FSU or Pitt either...losing Allen really hurts that possibility.

What losing Allen does is make it more unlikely that they pull off an early upset early....But if you can get him back for most of the ACC season, there are enough really good ACC teams that they could still make the tourney.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=