57 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think Johnson has a decent chance to be successful, at least in the short term. You gotta like the K numbers even for someone without great velocity. I'm excited to see him get the start tonight. It's coming against one of the more favorable matchups in the league, so he's in good position for success.

#22 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Johnson's final line:

6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 9 K. 97 pitches.

Great outing that allowed the bullpen to rest a bit after the 14 inning affair last night.

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Just what we needed. Bravo Steve.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hard to have a better debut than that. Pretty impressive outing. He was painting the edges of the strike zone with that fastball.

#25 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

Lost amongst the Machado excitement is Johnson's stellar debut as a starter. What do you expect from him going forward? Solid BP arm? Back of the rotation starter? AAAA spot starter?

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

BP arm.

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

I stand by my thought that he isn't much of a ML pitcher. Maybe he can hang on as the 6th or 7th man out of the pen.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

The strikeouts he had in the Minors this year, and last night were interesting. Based on everything we've read, I think he figures to be a guy that could peak at the back-end of a rotation, but profiles better in long-relief.

Thinking about next year, I'd love another guy that could go multiple innings, and pitch multiple times a week out of the pen.

He was fun to watch last-night, I'll say that. I loved seeing his willingness to attack the strike-zone.

#29 JHTerp01

JHTerp01
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

The strikeouts he had in the Minors this year, and last night were interesting. Based on everything we've read, I think he figures to be a guy that could peak at the back-end of a rotation, but profiles better in long-relief.

Thinking about next year, I'd love another guy that could go multiple innings, and pitch multiple times a week out of the pen.

He was fun to watch last-night, I'll say that. I loved seeing his willingness to attack the strike-zone.

Was thinking last night that next year he could be what Matt Albers was his first year with us - an effective guy to bring in in the 5th or 6th inning when a starter is cooked early that keeps us in games. Would much rather have him in this role now then Kevin Gregg but that is another topic entirely.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

I wouldn't lump him in with the Brad Bergesen's of the world quite yet.

I don't know if he'll be able to stick as a starter, but I do think he's good enough to have a major league career. His strikeout totals are very promising despite his mediocre velocity.

#31 JHTerp01

JHTerp01
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Wasn't trying to lump him in with Turd Bergeson. In 08 before he hurt his arm, I thought Albers did a great job in that role and could see Steve Johnson filling it just as solidly.

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

BP arm.

I agree but maybe he can ride this out until Hammel comes back. I don't mind giving him a few more starts.

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

I tend to agree with what Chris wrote. I was at his debut and that homerun that was served up, you could see it coming from a mile away. Last night was pretty good, but I don't think will see this from him on a consistent basis. I'd like to see him get a few more chances to start at the least, is there anyone better right now? But ideally, I think he's your long reliever.

That was great to watch last night and a special moment for Steve and his family!
@levineps

#34 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm kind of surprised so many are down on Johnson about his potential to stick in the rotation.

I wrote this earlier today about it:

http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=3376

Why is he automatically a long reliever or bp guy - is it because he doesn't throw harder than 89 mph?

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm kind of surprised so many are down on Johnson about his potential to stick in the rotation.

I wrote this earlier today about it:

http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=3376

Why is he automatically a long reliever or bp guy - is it because he doesn't throw harder than 89 mph?

Because he doesn't have a ton of room for improvement. He was painting the black last night, but doesn't really have a reputation as a guy with great control/command, walking just under 4 batters per 9 innings in the minors for his career.

He has had solid strikeout numbers lately, 7.5-8.5 at AA and AAA, but that's still just about a 2:1 ratio, which is good but not amazing for a minor league pitcher.

If he can be very precise and be on his game more often than most pitchers, then he can be successful. He just clearly has less room for error (can't miss his spots or not have his best stuff) than a guy with higher velocity and better pure stuff.

I definitely think he's earned another start if there is an opportunity, though. Wouldn't mind him staying in the rotation and Hunter to the pen. Then again, I'm very much not a fan of Hunter, even considering his recent good outings.

#36 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Because he doesn't have a ton of room for improvement. He was painting the black last night, but doesn't really have a reputation as a guy with great control/command, walking just under 4 batters per 9 innings in the minors for his career.

He has had solid strikeout numbers lately, 7.5-8.5 at AA and AAA, but that's still just about a 2:1 ratio, which is good but not amazing for a minor league pitcher.

If he can be very precise and be on his game more often than most pitchers, then he can be successful. He just clearly has less room for error (can't miss his spots or not have his best stuff) than a guy with higher velocity and better pure stuff.

I definitely think he's earned another start if there is an opportunity, though. Wouldn't mind him staying in the rotation and Hunter to the pen. Then again, I'm very much not a fan of Hunter, even considering his recent good outings.

Maybe there's not much room for improvement, but it's not impossible for him to refine the command on his pitches - or focus a little more than he did in the minors - and just stay down in the zone.

Bergesen (pre-injury) was great at doing that - having a sinker helps - and it looked like he was well on his way to establishing himself in the rotation permanently. Then he got hurt and hasn't been the same since.

Patton could follow the same path as long as he pitches intelligently and recognizes what he is and isn't as a pitcher.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Bergesen (pre-injury) was great at doing that - having a sinker helps - and it looked like he was well on his way to establishing himself in the rotation permanently. Then he got hurt and hasn't been the same since.

Patton could follow the same path as long as he pitches intelligently and recognizes what he is and isn't as a pitcher.

I don't think the injury is what derailed Bergesen. I think that was an inevitability. I know it's an easy turning point to focus on, both the liner off his leg and the injury filming the promo, but I think he would have fallen off either way.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Johnson to be successful, just that I don't think he's got a great chance of sticking as a starter, but I do think he'll be good enough to hold down a bullpen role. I do think his secondaries looked good last night, if that is what he does regularly, then he's got a better shot at staying in a rotation.

#38 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

I don't think the injury is what derailed Bergesen. I think that was an inevitability. I know it's an easy turning point to focus on, both the liner off his leg and the injury filming the promo, but I think he would have fallen off either way.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Johnson to be successful, just that I don't think he's got a great chance of sticking as a starter, but I do think he'll be good enough to hold down a bullpen role. I do think his secondaries looked good last night, if that is what he does regularly, then he's got a better shot at staying in a rotation.

Simply put - you see him as our right-handed Troy Patton?

#39 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

As per Roch Kubatko - Steve Johnson has been optioned to Norfolk. The bouncing back and forth it looks like for Johnson I guess.

UPDATE: Steve Johnson was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk and Brian Roberts was moved to the 60-day disabled list.

http://www.masnsport... ... rings.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#40 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

As per Roch Kubatko - Steve Johnson has been optioned to Norfolk. The bouncing back and forth it looks like for Johnson I guess.

http://www.masnsport... ... rings.html

Getting the Chris Tillman treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=