Photo

BSL: Ravens lose in Pittsburgh; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

Not kicking it through the uprights on the last kickoff killed them on the last drive. Terrible decision trying to be too cute and run a few seconds of clock.

Yeah I mean why take the five yards  from the penalty on the PAT for the Kick Off if you aren't going to boom it out of the end zone?

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

On a different note I would also like to point out that that Dan Fouts is absolutely awful, is there a bigger blow hard out there?

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

On a different note I would also like to point out that that Dan Fouts is absolutely awful, is there a bigger blow hard out there?

I had the game muted and was so happy I did.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

I had the game muted and was so happy I did.

Couldn't hear your own analysis over the TV? I hear ya. ;)
  • Oriole85 and DuffMan like this

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

It was fun congratulating Stillers fans for moving down from the #3 pick in the Draft to the or #9 or 10 last night. Also, that makes me a bitter asshole.

#26 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Couldn't hear your own analysis over the TV? I hear ya. ;)

It happens from time to time. Seriously though, I would rather listen to myself rant and rave than Fouts.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,365 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Btw, we had won the last 3 in Pittsburgh before yesterday. Which is why it sucked to lose that game. Having a 4 game win streak in Pitt would have been great.

Last 3 regular season games, last 2 overall.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

You never intend to fail but since failure was likely, your punishment was essentially handing them points and right now, mistakes are hard to overcome for this team.

Between that play not working, Joe under throwing Jones and ST errors, this team just can't get out of its own way right now.

Failing wasn't likely, and it certainly wasn't overwhelmingly likely.  Unexpected onsides kicks are recovered over half the time from what I've read. 

You are too results-driven when analyzing coaching decisions.  You should be bashing Harbaugh for going for it onn 4th and 1 this week, but aren't because it worked.  But the decision there was a poor one.  Coaches can't make decisions with hindsight, they have to go with what makes sense and what might work.  The onsides kick made sense because it's basically a coin flip where if it's heads you get a possession with great field position and if its tails, you give the Steelers 35 free yards in starting their possession.  Given the way the defense had been playing, where it seemed they were frequently giving up big swatches of yards but not breaking once their backs were against the end zone, it makes even more sense in favor of trying it.

I'm not saying it was a clear and obvious choice to make.  Just that the rationale for doing so is certainly there.  It can't reasonably be called a stupid decision, at least not if you are using anything other than hindsight.

#29 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

As far as gutsy calls go, did anybody want Harbaugh to accept the penalty for the PAT, (instead of the Kickoff) moving the ball to the 1 and go for the 2 pt try and the lead?

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,677 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

As far as gutsy calls go, did anybody want Harbaugh to accept the penalty for the PAT, (instead of the Kickoff) moving the ball to the 1 and go for the 2 pt try and the lead?

No. Talk about terrible calls. 

We couldn't run the ball, so I had zero faith they would have been able to punch the ball in from the one.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Failing wasn't likely, and it certainly wasn't overwhelmingly likely.  Unexpected onsides kicks are recovered over half the time from what I've read. 

You are too results-driven when analyzing coaching decisions.  You should be bashing Harbaugh for going for it onn 4th and 1 this week, but aren't because it worked.  But the decision there was a poor one.  Coaches can't make decisions with hindsight, they have to go with what makes sense and what might work.  The onsides kick made sense because it's basically a coin flip where if it's heads you get a possession with great field position and if its tails, you give the Steelers 35 free yards in starting their possession.  Given the way the defense had been playing, where it seemed they were frequently giving up big swatches of yards but not breaking once their backs were against the end zone, it makes even more sense in favor of trying it.

I'm not saying it was a clear and obvious choice to make.  Just that the rationale for doing so is certainly there.  It can't reasonably be called a stupid decision, at least not if you are using anything other than hindsight.

The 4th and 1 this week was horrible too. Harbaugh's ego and stubbornness are major flaws. He has no feel for the game and situations when making these decisions. It's not about the pure statistics of a situation.

ANybody who thinks we were better than 30-35% to score on that goalline play last week is fooling themselves. And it would be one thing if it looked like it was going to be necessary to get the extra 4 points there but that's where feel and game situation comes into play. The feel of the game should have told you that 3 points was ok there.

This week, the feel was we were gaining momentum. Kick the ball through the endzone and make them go the length of the field again. Your offense had just put together a drive. Your defense had gotten some rest and was ready for the stretch run.  Instead you essentially put them in FG territory. If the WR comes down with that grab in the endzone you essentially just handed Pitt the game by making them go 40 yards. Just not smart. You try that shit at home, or when you feel desperate. It shows me panic. Maybe someone remembers another one, but that's the first time I remember Harbaugh trying an onsides kick in his coaching career other than an end of game, desperation situation.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

Tomlin would've been licking his chops. Would have been two weeks in a row where  Harbaugh was baited into a bad decision.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Going for it on 4th and inches there didn't bother me as much but I wouldn't have done it.

You handed Pitt points and we can't afford to do that..plain and simple.

#34 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

I agree with Mac about you guys being too results driven. John didn't just wake up and say, oh shit, I'm going to kick a surprise onside kick. It's very extremely likely that they saw something on film, saw it again during the first half of the game, and really thought they had an excellent chance to get it. Something had to change in that game for the Ravens to turn the tide. 

However, it was executed poorly, probably because Tucker got excited/anxious and tipped his hand, which is obvious when you see the Steelers defender start to run over and read it. That was a truly great play by him and shows that they are either very well coached or he's just a smarter player than most.

@PeterDiLutis

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

I agree with Mac about you guys being too results driven. John didn't just wake up and say, oh shit, I'm going to kick a surprise onside kick. It's very extremely likely that they saw something on film, saw it again during the first half of the game, and really thought they had an excellent chance to get it. Something had to change in that game for the Ravens to turn the tide. 

There is no doubt this is true...Its like when they had Koch run in the 2pt conversion against Pitt last year(?) in the blowout win at home.

Harbs said he saw something on tape that believed it would work.

However, even if you have that belief, I think the situation should dictate that maybe you don't try it at that time.

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,677 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

I was OK with the onside kick at that point. It was just executed horribly.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,677 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just got an ESPN text update: Suggs says Ravens in "state of emergency with losing record at this point in season".

I wonder if Harbaugh is at risk of losing the locker room again. I mean, this is his team now. He got rid of all malcontents. He's had some injuries, but overall this team has been in every game aside from one and coaching has played a big role in the losses.

Just a thought.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Going for it on 4th and inches there didn't bother me as much but I wouldn't have done it.

You handed Pitt points and we can't afford to do that..plain and simple.

So we didn't hand them points by going for it on 4th and 1 because we got it.  But if we had failed, would we have been handing them points (or more accurately, declining 3 automatic points for us)?

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

So we didn't hand them points by going for it on 4th and 1 because we got it.  But if we had failed, would we have been handing them points (or more accurately, declining 3 automatic points for us)?

When we went for it on 4th and 1, we were deep in their territory....which is obviously totally different than giving them the ball at our 40.

And yes, that could have taken points off the board for us...which is why I don't think he should have gone for it.

I didn't mind it as much because all Joe had to do was fall forward since it was a half a yard(or less).  But still, I wouldn't have risked it.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

However, it was executed poorly, probably because Tucker got excited/anxious and tipped his hand, which is obvious when you see the Steelers defender start to run over and read it. That was a truly great play by him and shows that they are either very well coached or he's just a smarter player than most.

I thought the kick was good, but there was no help for Tucker.  Someone has to beat the lead Pittsburgh man to that spot and blow him up so Tucker can recover the kick.  I don't know about Tucker tipping his hand, maybe he did but I didn't notice that, but if someone is near the ball and can make a block, we recover it.  It's like the front line of the Ravens kick team thought it was going deep or to another side and only Tucker knew it was going straight 10 yards.  Very poorly executed, though I've got no idea who made the mistake or wasn't on the right page, and I doubt we ever find out for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=