Photo

BSL: Green Bay wins in Baltimore; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#101 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Ugh, it's gonna take me a while to get over this one.

You hold Rodgers to 19 points, at home, and lose.

Terrible.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#102 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Ugh, it's gonna take me a while to get over this one.

You hold Rodgers to 19 points, at home, and lose.

Terrible.

Kick a FG and you win by 1! :)

#103 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Kick a FG and you win by 1! :)

Score a touchdown and you win by five ;)

@DJ_McCann

#104 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,370 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

What was their excuse early in the season for looking awful?

They were hurt, the line hasn't blocked, and defenses have keyed on the running game until Flacco and the WR's show they can beat them.

Pierce had a hurt knee in camp... missed time, hurt the calf early (Week 2?) and has dealt with that since. On the injury report every week, light load in practice.

Rice's hip injury was enough to be inactive after 43 straight starts...

I mean, you see both players when they get the ball as receivers or the few occasions a game where there is blocking up-front... they lack that second level speed, and ability to escape. I don't think that is because they've forgot how to run. The most logical answer is a physical issue.

#105 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

They were hurt, the line hasn't blocked, and defenses have keyed on the running game until Flacco and the WR's show they can beat them.

Pierce had a hurt knee in camp... missed time, hurt the calf early (Week 2?) and has dealt with that since. On the injury report every week, light load in practice.

Rice's hip injury was enough to be inactive after 43 straight starts...
I mean, you see both players when they get the ball as receivers or the few occasions a game where there is blocking up-front... they lack that second level speed, and ability to escape. I don't think that is because they've forgot how to run. The most logical answer is a physical issue.

And again, Rice looked terrible before the hip.

And Rice could have just lost a step...as most RBs do.

#106 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I agree - this one stings. I'll probably be fine in a couple days, but this was just gross. Glad I wasn't at the game, like I know many of you were.

#107 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,370 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

And again, Rice looked terrible before the hip.

And Rice could have just lost a step...as most RBs do.

And again, you had Denver and Cleveland keying on the run in Weeks 1 and 2... because of the issues in the passing game. Not a lot of reason to have expected more production from Rice in those games.

Rice may have lost a step... he certainly will at some point. Don't think there is any way to evaluate that right now. He's clearly not right.

#108 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

And again, you had Denver and Cleveland keying on the run in Weeks 1 and 2... because of the issues in the passing game. Not a lot of reason to have expected more production from Rice in those games.

I can expect to see burst, breaking tackles, etc...he didn't do that.

Production is one thing...looking good is another.

He hasn't looked good all year, before or since the injury.

#109 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Btw...what the hell is being taught to the Oline that we continue to get hands to the face/face mask penalties?

#110 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

The penalties were the secret killer today. Well not a secret but it isn't being talked about much, but it should. They absolutely killed about 3 of our offensive drives today.

We have to be top 5 in penalties/penalty yards again this year. SOmebody look it up but I would bet on it.

#111 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

The penalties were the secret killer today. Well not a secret but it isn't being talked about much, but it should. They absolutely killed about 3 of our offensive drives today.

We have to be top 5 in penalties/penalty yards again this year. SOmebody look it up but I would bet on it.

Yep...a lot of 5 yard penalties contributed to several 3rd and longs.

#112 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

No doubt, the penalties were inexcusably bad.

I was very surprised to see GB was 6th in overall defense coming into the game. They were pretty stout today - but we didn't do enough to adjust early enough.

#113 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

No doubt, the penalties were inexcusably bad.

I was very surprised to see GB was 6th in overall defense coming into the game. They were pretty stout today - but we didn't do enough to adjust early enough.

Why is that surprising?

People keep slamming on the their D but they were 8th in DVOA last year and 11th in yards allowed.

#114 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

Why is that surprising?

People keep slamming on the their D but they were 8th in DVOA last year and 11th in yards allowed.

Didn't know that either. AFC bias for me I guess. 

#115 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Didn't know that either. AFC bias for me I guess. 

Really...you are surprised because of how the media portrays their defense...but that's bs.

#116 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

Really...you are surprised because of how the media portrays their defense...but that's bs.

Don't disagree. I'm admitting ignorance in this case. ;)

#117 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Cover your eyes.....Just looked at the play by play of our running game up until the end of the 3rd when GB went up 13 and starting playing the pass more and loosening up our running game a little bit. Here we go run by run. Not including the Flacco scramble for 6 yards.

Rice- 2yards

Rice- 0 yards

Rice- 1 yard

Pierce- -3 yards

Rice- -3yards

Rice- 0 yards

Rice-2 yards

Rice-1 yard

Rice- 0 yards

Pierce-0 yards

(BTW the last 4 plays were the runs we ran on the goalline where we got stuffed........ Now to that point our longest run had been 2 yards.... our total rushing yards was -3 on 6 carries. By the time Pierce got the ball on 4th down it was 0 yards on 9 carries.......that's why you don't go for it on 4th and take the FG. Feel for the game. )

Anyway continuing past the goalline stand:

Pierce- 5 yards ( our first gain of 3 yards or more on the ground came with 4 min left in the 2nd quarter.)

Rice- 10 yards( this was on 3rd and 15....read into that what you will but clearly GB is playing pass here too.

(1st half totals- 11 caries for 15 yards. We had more 6 carries that gained positive yards. We had 5 carries that gained negative or no yards. )

2nd half:

Pierce- -3 yards

Rice- 0 yards

Rice 5 yards

By this point there is 2 min left in the 3rd quarter and GB is up 13 points. They clearly back off and start playing the pass a little more aggressively here and we are able to gain 30 yards on 7 carries the rest of the way.

So up til the point where GB goes up 13 heading into the fourth quarter we had run 14 times for 17 yards. A cool 1.1 YPC. We had as many zero or negative yardage runs as we had had positive runs and our best  run was a 10 yard draw on 3rd and 15. More than half of our l yards on the ground at this point had come on a 10 yards 3rd and 15 draw!

Folks, the running game isn't just bad, its down right pathetic. Yes, there is a time when you have to keep hammering away and trying but for us, right now, there is nothing at all to take away from even trying to run the ball. All we are doing is creating 2nd and 3rd and longs. I mean 10+ yards to go on 3rd downs. Its giving the game away when you let a defense get you in 3rd and long every possession. No team, no QB can dig a team out of a hole where its 3rd and long every possession.

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and PrimeTime like this

#118 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

http://www.rotoworld...42/torrey-smith

If you can't run it, then this is going to continue to be a theme for the Ravens.

How do they win games with no running game and an inability to get Smith the ball?

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

They started to run the ball when they got away from the draws up the middle. I know Rice and Pierce may be dealing with injuries, or have lost a step, but the draws aren't working and they need to get these guys moving in space.

Just an ugly loss yesterday.

Thank God we won the SB last year because had we been eliminated in Denver and then played the way we've played through the first 6 weeks I'd be at wit's end right about now.

Anyway, they need to move past this loss and get ready for Pittsburgh because if they lose they'll be 3-4 with Pittsburgh 2-4 and not as out of it as they were a week ago.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#120 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,370 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

http://www.rotoworld...42/torrey-smith

If you can't run it, then this is going to continue to be a theme for the Ravens.

How do they win games with no running game and an inability to get Smith the ball?

I wrote about that in the write up. If Smith is blanketed, that means single coverage for others. You have to continue to establish Jones, Brown, Thompson, Doss...  Clark, and Dickson.

I said before, I'd love to see the Ravens spread the field... having multiple guys running vertical routes, and run from that. If you have Smith, Jones, Thompson running deep... teams have to account for their speed. Should pull defenders from the box, making it easier to run from that....

Since we didn't see much of that yesterday even with Jones, and Brown back... my guess is that the Ravens don't believe it is feasible due to the pass blocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=