Photo

BSL: Ravens beat Miami; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

I saw a road win.

It really doesn't matter how you get it done. 3-2 to keep pace with Bengals/Brownies.

The Offensive Line has been the main issue and they did a much better job in the second half. Hence the Ravens had more success on the ground and more balance in the offensive attack. I saw Caldwell use some stretch plays and at least a screen or two. I also saw contributions from guys like Doss, Thompson and oh my goodness even Ed Dickson.

I saw the defense harass Tanehill most of the day. Terrell Suggs literally turned into the Hulk before our eyes. He was the strongest player on the field in 90 degree heat in the 4th Quarter. The D shut down the run but still gave up a few big plays. Each time I think Jimmy Smith is ready to turn the corner he has an embarrassing series. That 4th and 10 epic fail could have been a disaster for Ihedigbo.

If Ray Rice isn't hurt then he's starting to wear down a bit. Explosion not there and he can hardly break a tackle.

Still it's a win. They are never easy to come by so enjoy them.

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

My top 3 Ravens worries (in order):

-Offensive line, particularly everyone but Yanda

-Ray Rice's explosiveness, it's his 6th year now and his shelf life may be starting to expire

-WR depth, can't have tunnel vision with Torrey Smith, hopefully Jacoby Jones gets back soon

Other thoughts:

-Was nice to see them at least try to get back to running the ball today.  Never thought they'd call 38 running plays to 32 pass attempts

-Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but I really feel like we're better than 3 points over the Dolphins, at least in terms of talent.  Yes, Miami has gotten better over the years but I feel like if you compare the rosters, in a vacuum, we have them beat by a large margin.

-That last long pass play that set up the eventual missed FG was horrible -- where was the safety help??

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

A couple things:

Shipley played almost the entire game.  So you can't say he was the reason the line improved in the 2nd half.  To me the issue is still Gradkowski.  I'm hopeful Jensen gets healthy soon and gets a look.

That 4th and 10 play was really an odd one, but Ihedigbo cannot let anyone get behind him.  The WR was 3 steps past him.

We talked about this in the game thread, but Dickson looks so much better when he catches in stride.  Not sure why.

Rice needs to sit a while to get healthy.  I have more explosiveness after a night of tacos and drinking.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

@fuzydunlop

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

My top 3 Ravens worries (in order):

-Offensive line, particularly everyone but Yanda

-Ray Rice's explosiveness, it's his 6th year now and his shelf life may be starting to expire

-WR depth, can't have tunnel vision with Torrey Smith, hopefully Jacoby Jones gets back soon

Other thoughts:

-Was nice to see them at least try to get back to running the ball today.  Never thought they'd call 38 running plays to 32 pass attempts

-Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but I really feel like we're better than 3 points over the Dolphins, at least in terms of talent.  Yes, Miami has gotten better over the years but I feel like if you compare the rosters, in a vacuum, we have them beat by a large margin.

-That last long pass play that set up the eventual missed FG was horrible -- where was the safety help??

IIRC, that was Ihedigbo, the safety, who got burnt on that play. 

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

A couple things:

Shipley played almost the entire game.  So you can't say he was the reason the line improved in the 2nd half.  To me the issue is still Gradkowski.  I'm hopeful Jensen gets healthy soon and gets a look.

That 4th and 10 play was really an odd one, but Ihedigbo cannot let anyone get behind him.  The WR was 3 steps past him.

We talked about this in the game thread, but Dickson looks so much better when he catches in stride.  Not sure why.

Rice needs to sit a while to get healthy.  I have most explosiveness after a night of tacos and drinking.

The issue with Rice sitting to get healthy (which part of me agrees with you on), is I don't believe Pierce is healthy either. At least not 100%.

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Well no excuse for him to get burned that bad -- in a play and situation like that, if you're the last line of defense, you need to keep everyone in front of you.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well no excuse for him to get burned that bad -- in a play and situation like that, if you're the last line of defense, you need to keep everyone in front of you.

Agreed. That was awful.

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

The issue with Rice sitting to get healthy (which part of me agrees with you on), is I don't believe Pierce is healthy either. At least not 100%.

You know who might help?  Bobby Rainey.  Still pisses me off we let him go.

@fuzydunlop

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

You could see in TC how serious Suggs was about this year because he was in the best shape of his life. After seeing that, his play this year doesn't surprise me. Its never been about talent. Without a doubt a HOF talent when serious about his craft.

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Just now finally settling in for the night down in the big easy. I followed the scoring on my phone once a quarter or so. I just read through the game thread and I must say. It sounded like an emotional roller coaster of a game. The kind that causes heart attacks. I can't wait to get home Tuesday and watch it on the DVR.

To piggy back on what you guys are saying about Torrey...Pay the man! This team doesn't have an eye for drafting quality receivers. (Jury still being out on Mellete and Brown of course). I wouldn't let Torrey walk and hope they can just draft another one. They struck gold with him. Pay him.
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

The Rahim Moore school of coverage?

(I bring nothing to the table.)

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Torrey should cost a lot more than Wallace if he keeps this up.

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Wallace was vastly overpaid. I would expect the price to end up similar and I do think Torrey could give a little bit of a hometown discount.

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Star free agents being overpaid isn't unusual.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

I'd be very surprised if Torrey reaches free agency. Though if he does, he's definitely gone.

#36 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Idk....I worry about his cap hit in a few years.

Guess it would depend on how the contract is structured.

Does it bother anyone that this is the second time Suggs has had a "career year" and both times he was fishing for a new deal?

Remember last time he got his new deal he came into camp out of shape and had a down year? Now he'll be 5 years older now after getting his deal and may let down a bit.

Scares me a bit. If Suggs has a DPOY type year, I'm not sure if we'll ever see that player again.

@PeterDiLutis

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Does it bother anyone that this is the second time Suggs has had a "career year" and both times he was fishing for a new deal?

Remember last time he got his new deal he came into camp out of shape and had a down year? Now he'll be 5 years older now after getting his deal and may let down a bit.

Scares me a bit. If Suggs has a DPOY type year, I'm not sure if we'll ever see that player again.

Yep...I have that same worry.

Plus, this is a guy who has had some serious injuries lately..that takes its toll.

#38 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Funny, I was just thinking how much Suggs has matured.  If you listen to him talk, its not an act.  The guy is 100% about the team and winning.

@fuzydunlop

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

IDK... he was the DPOY in '11... his injury last year was a bit of fluke, and it's no surprise he was not in great shape when he returned... due to the injury he had. So if his '13 season is him again putting up DPOY caliber production... you have a player that's performed at that level 2 of the last 3 yrs... that should be respected.

Of course any contract is about the production you expect going forward, not prior results. He turns 31 this week. I think he will basically end his career in a Ravens uniform (maybe like Reed with Houston this year, he plays out a year or two somewhere else...but my point is I think he has numerous years left in Baltimore).

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#40 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Agreed. That was awful.

Little late on this one....but on that 4th down play on the final drive, it's hard to pin that on the safety or CB (honestly can't remember who it was, Ihedigbo?)

Once the scramble play happens and the QB keeps a play alive, it's really tough for a DB to maintain coverage. Anything past 4-5 seconds and you're asking a lot. Especially if you're in man coverage as a corner or if you're a safety picking up a WR/TE that was released to you. Sometimes, you just have to tip your cap to other team. The old saying of "they get paid too" applies here, IMO.

Let's just I'm glad it didn't cost us the game. At the same time, I don't see it as any kind of inexcusable breakdown, nor is it really teachable moment or coaching point. The reality was that our front 4 destroyed Miami's OLine, completely disentegrated the pocket and Tannehill was an eyelash from a game clinching sack. He made a play, it happens.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=